MAJ75

ZF Fac. IWC 371433 "Jackie Chan"

MAJ75

jackie_2.jpg

IWC 371433 - Jackie Chan Ltd Edition (ZF Factory)

index.png1.png

Let’s get a couple of things out in the open before I start the review.

The genuine watch featured in this article was a limited edition of 250 pieces only & my chances of ever owning the gen are minimal to say the least. Therefore we aren’t going to have a proper gen versus rep but I will do my best comparing the two from the library of gen images that exist online.

As the 3714 reference gained in popularity following it’s 1998 launch, the powers that be at IWC cottoned on to the fact that this model would be a great base for launching a large number of extremely limited editions, variations on a theme (Rattrapante) & boutique editions. They are all captured beautifully in the article linked below:

My personal favourite is the one that I discuss below.

IWC 371433 – Jackie Chan Edition

As part of a fund-raising effort for The Jackie Chan Charitable Foundation a special edition of this reference was born in 2007. When it was replicated last year it was inevitable that I would add it to my collection at some point, as I love the case & dial/sub-dial combo that is quite unique. I thought a few might find this review (with it in hand) interesting as I have never seen a thread on the boards where a forum member has purchased it.

Here are the technical specification & further information about the gen.

jcinf.jpg1f6084f6361b464b3f79f40d86046985_big.jpg

The Case

The ZF & YLF 3714 Reps are widely regarded as being extremely close to the genuine article in virtually every detail. When the slim movement & case were released back at the start of last year we got even closer.

The Rose Gold case is beautifully rendered here, the polished lugs & outer bezel look extremely good & there is a nice contrast with the brushed case sides & main part of the case back. The quality of the finish is great & I like how they have caught in engravings featured between the bottom lugs (gen top- rep bottom)

iw371433-0002.jpg

JC4.jpg

The Dial

The dial has been captured really beautifully the ardoise outer dial has a wonderful sunburst effect that mirrors the same shimmer in sunlight as the gen. The sub dials seem a good colour match with the genuine article & look superb framed by the darker main dial.

iwc096-1.jpgindex.pngJC5.jpg

The Case-back

One detail that is further from gen but has never bothered me is the case back engravings on these are less deep & have lower sharpness than those found on the real thing. This particular edition has some fancy engraving denoting the watches purpose & features Jackie’s charity symbol (his name within a Chinese dragon design).

iwc-portuguese-jackie-chan-watch-back1.jindex.png1.pngJC7.jpg

The Movement

Those familiar with ZF 3714’s will be familiar with the extremely noisy rotor associated with the modified slim 7750 movement, this is present hear & requires silencing by lubrication. It’s too early to make a judgement on accuracy of time-keeping but my year old 371445 has performed beautifully so I hope I experience the same thing here.

The Strap

This remains the area where significant improvements could be made by the factories. The brown alligator strap received simply isn’t good enough to be worn on this stunning piece. This was supplied on the rose gold deployant fastening. I believe this is an inaccuracy against the gen as my understanding is that it was released with the more comfortable & traditional tang buckle fastening. I had already purchased one prior to arrival & I’ll wear it on the upgraded strap.

Library images show this piece on both black & brown alligator straps so I’m a little torn on how I will wear it most at the moment my gut feel is that it looks best on black & versus most of my collection that have brown straps this pairing may allow me something different. The trouble with black straps is that the formality of them works less well when dressed casually, I guess time will tell,

JC2.jpg

Anything Missing?

The eagle-eyed amongst you may already have noticed there is one difference on the case side, the gen has an engraved limited edition number which seems was a step too far in the replication, I think even the most obsessive WIS would struggle to spot that or know that It was a feature on the genuine timepiece.

In Summary

Another outstanding piece of work from ZF, I’m delighted with it & as in so many cases the actual article looks so much better than the TD’s photos.

Mine was purchased from Sead’s (Suppermirrors) EU stock list, if you are used to being around the boards you will know that he is an excellent dealer who supplies quality pieces in a quick turnaround.

JC1.jpg

JC3.jpg

JC6.jpg

Glaude

tenor.gif

Fantastic review mate ! Thank you for it.

And a marvellous watch, on my watch list in white for a long time, but seeing this grey beauty made me wonder !

20 minutes ago, MAJ75 said:

The trouble with black straps is that the formality of them works less well when dressed casually, I guess time will tell,

Keep it black, but maybe a black alligator and grey stitching could break the formality ?
Or grey strap like that : https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0254/6329/products/LondonGrey01-800_8ad828bb-564b-442c-b6ae-0fbe3583c0cc_1024x1024.jpg?v=1498207975

fabbe79

Great review! Small issue your watch have in common with mine is the caseback does not fully cover the belzel screw holes.. Cannot understand why ZF is keeping doing this error on this super rep

NCRich

What a great review.  And a beautiful watch.  Kudos my friend.

MAJ75
1 hour ago, Glaude said:

tenor.gif

Fantastic review mate ! Thank you for it.

And a marvellous watch, on my watch list in white for a long time, but seeing this grey beauty made me wonder !

Keep it black, but maybe a black alligator and grey stitching could break the formality ?
Or grey strap like that : https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0254/6329/products/LondonGrey01-800_8ad828bb-564b-442c-b6ae-0fbe3583c0cc_1024x1024.jpg?v=1498207975

@GlaudeThanks for the kind words, you provided the inspiration for me to do this.

54 minutes ago, fabbe79 said:

Great review! Small issue your watch have in common with mine is the caseback does not fully cover the belzel screw holes.. Cannot understand why ZF is keeping doing this error on this super rep

If this is the worst we have to deal with, then I'll take it my friend & thanks!

41 minutes ago, NCRich said:

What a great review.  And a beautiful watch.  Kudos my friend.

Cheers Rich, it was a pleasure to do & I'll try to contribute in a similar way as & when future watches arrive.

Glaude
2 hours ago, fabbe79 said:

I don't understand that, I see no difference between the back of the gen and the back of the rep, aside from the engraving as pointed by my good sir OP.
Can you give more details, I'm probably not looking at it the right way.

1 hour ago, MAJ75 said:

@GlaudeThanks for the kind words, you provided the inspiration for me to do this.

You're welcome !
I can give you the template for my review if you want, but ... you probably don't want... the template is a nightmare to work with :D 

fabbe79

This is mine
Probably even more noticeable Compared to the op6b7669fe79ba5764e4229c14f3a6f0f9.jpg8f4716940fccdad3ca023bbb4a5c7535.jpg

It’s a beautiful and stunning watch. Just sad that yg&rg reps are orange alloy, which looks cheap and not at all like gold

MAJ75
20 minutes ago, fabbe79 said:

This is mine
Probably even more noticeable Compared to the op6b7669fe79ba5764e4229c14f3a6f0f9.jpg8f4716940fccdad3ca023bbb4a5c7535.jpg

My white dial with gold numerals has these small pronounced gaps. With the frequency of my rotation & I almost never gets my watches wet, I feel ok with this.

3 minutes ago, 171796 said:

It’s a beautiful and stunning watch. Just sad that yg&rg reps are orange alloy, which looks cheap and not at all like gold

Regarding the gold tone, I think this is replicated pretty well sat in a box amongst higher level gens my YG & RG reps stand-up pretty well.

fabbe79

I was wandering if it can be protected somehow with rubber disk..

Glaude
2 hours ago, fabbe79 said:

I was wandering if it can be protected somehow with rubber disk..

Eagle eyes ! But I guess with owning one it's easier to spot ! Thank you for your answer.

opiumpipez

Noob here but wow gorgeous watch. so i was a lucky one to have owned the GEN version of this watch.  Unfortunately i sold this watch (along with all of my other gens) maybe 4 years ago. however, i still have a bunch of hq pics of it. let me know if you want me to post it as comparison.

MAJ75
8 hours ago, opiumpipez said:

Noob here but wow gorgeous watch. so i was a lucky one to have owned the GEN version of this watch.  Unfortunately i sold this watch (along with all of my other gens) maybe 4 years ago. however, i still have a bunch of hq pics of it. let me know if you want me to post it as comparison.

@opiumpipezBloody hell only 250 of the gen were made, I never thought we would bump into someone who owned the real thing here!

Would love to see some pics mate (&I'm sure the rest of the community would enjoy them too.)

opiumpipez

so quick back story back in 2009 during the financial crisis i was lucky enough to have a boat load of cash sitting on the sidelines. instead of buying real estate here in the US i bought watches. i sort of regret that but whatever.  not going to lie but i really miss having this watch but i did make a good profit on it when i sold.

i think i have more pictures on my home computer. ill check when i get home from the office.

***edit*** wow photobucket is awful. pics reloaded.

10_zpsf402c074.jpg

1_zpsc3b989bc.jpg

2_zps1c769b27.jpg

32_zps1b92f8a5.jpg

4_zpse6b17cf6.jpg5_zps7aff51d3.jpg

7_zpsbc513094_1.jpg

Edited by opiumpipez

opiumpipez

found more pics at home

IWC12.jpg

IWC13.jpg

Serial.jpg

watches_5.jpg

Edited by opiumpipez

MAJ75
On 09/02/2018 at 00:27, opiumpipez said:

so quick back story back in 2009 during the financial crisis i was lucky enough to have a boat load of cash sitting on the sidelines. instead of buying real estate here in the US i bought watches. i sort of regret that but whatever.  not going to lie but i really miss having this watch but i did make a good profit on it when i sold.

i think i have more pictures on my home computer. ill check when i get home from the office.

***edit*** wow photobucket is awful. pics reloaded.

10_zpsf402c074.jpg

1_zpsc3b989bc.jpg

2_zps1c769b27.jpg

32_zps1b92f8a5.jpg

4_zpse6b17cf6.jpg5_zps7aff51d3.jpg

7_zpsbc513094_1.jpg

9 hours ago, opiumpipez said:

found more pics at home

IWC12.jpg

IWC13.jpg

Serial.jpg

watches_5.jpg

Absolutely stunning @opiumpipezsuch a beautiful piece, would have killed me to sell that.

Thanks for taking the trouble to share these photos with us, they are superb.

The Blancpain is a cracker do you still have that one?

opiumpipez

thanks @MAJ75

of my original stash of gens the Blancpain and IWC Vintage are my only remaining. not pictured were my Patek Aquanaut 5066a, Sub 16610LV, Pam62.

now im  all reps (Patek 5167, Sub 116610LN, IWC3714)

MAJ75
1 hour ago, opiumpipez said:

thanks @MAJ75

of my original stash of gens the Blancpain and IWC Vintage are my only remaining. not pictured were my Patek Aquanaut 5066a, Sub 16610LV, Pam62.

now im  all reps (Patek 5167, Sub 116610LN, IWC3714)

Great to hear that some choice gens survived the cull, you have excellent taste in timepieces.

991turbo

such a beautiful piece. I just wish I could buy RG reps. The fear of the gold rubbing off and it becoming worthless to me is just too much.

PlanetZoom

Nice review, nice watch.  Thank you for posting.  

stormtooper4

200.gif

Mancster

Wow, stunning piece!

GenTLe
Wow, stunning piece!
Mate if you are trying in this way to pump your post count to sell the nuked m2m you already had , it will not work.

Mancster
5 hours ago, GenTLe said:
5 hours ago, Mancster said:
Wow, stunning piece!

Mate if you are trying in this way to pump your post count to sell the nuked m2m you already had , it will not work.

How have you arrived at that assumption? Read my other posts, I've been posting about 3714s for a while now!

Glaude
40 minutes ago, Mancster said:

How have you arrived at that assumption? Read my other posts, I've been posting about 3714s for a while now!

You recent post count reset (with the nice nickname you got with it) tends to prove the honourable GenTLe assumption !

I suggest that you do not push your luck with that method and go with a VIP subscription if you want to sell here :)