ppmoran

To service or not service

ppmoran

I have my first rep on the way from Mary. It's a 116610 v7 noob submarine with the A2836-2 movement. Should I have it serviced prior to using it? 

Thanks 

Thommo82

*Submariner

This comes down to personal preference. Rep watches are notorious for having dirty movements, so getting it serviced is not necessarily a bad idea, but it’s also not essential.

If it was me I would wait till either something goes wrong with it (which may never happen) or get it serviced in a couple years time 

Rx4Time

Generally the 2836 is one of the most reliable movements used in reps, so in this case I'd save the money and if repair is needed, swap in an ETA if you still like the watch. 

ppmoran

Thanks guys. I appreciate the input. I was going to get the v9 model but it had the sa3135 movement which I heard is unreliable.  Do you think I made the right move?

Glaude
11 minutes ago, ppmoran said:

Thanks guys. I appreciate the input. I was going to get the v9 model but it had the sa3135 movement which I heard is unreliable.  Do you think I made the right move?

You can read this excellent thread full of great infos on the 3135 movements (not only the sa) :

Rx4Time

Well a service would be suggested then if the SA3135 is the movement in question.  As far as right choice, well, that's personal preference.  I opted for the ETA 2836 version for my submariner for long term reliability.  I've had mine going on two years without a hiccup.  Personally I accept the slightly lower crown position as I have difficulty discerning it in macro pictures, let alone on the wrist. 

BlueJaguar

I would wait, unless you have a certain event it must be functional for.

ppmoran

teddy875

I went with the A2836. If that craps out will the ETA 2836 be an easy swap? 

Thanks 

BadPickle

That all depends on your abilities, the Asian 2836 is an exact copy/clone of the ETA 2836, so it’s a theoretical “yes” 

GenTLe

No need to service it out of the box.

And yes, it is a direct swap for an ETA 2836, or a Sellita 220-1 (or a Sea-Gull ST2100)

Genius

Never worth servicing an ETA clone, definitely not from new, and if it ever dies just sell the fucker for parts and swap in another ETA clone, as GenTle says both the sellita sw200 and seagull st21 are a direct fit.

Add the fact that a brand new st21 is cheaper than you'll pay 99% of watchmakers for a service there's an obvious choice! But if you really want a Swiss movement an sw200 isn't much more money

GenTLe
12 minutes ago, Genius said:

Never worth servicing an ETA clone, definitely not from new, and if it ever dies just sell the fucker for parts and swap in another ETA clone, as GenTle says both the sellita sw200 and seagull st21 are a direct fit.

Add the fact that a brand new st21 is cheaper than you'll pay 99% of watchmakers for a service there's an obvious choice! But if you really want a Swiss movement an sw200 isn't much more money

Yep, just take care: Sellita SW200 is the 2824. The 2836 is the 220-1 :)

Font: http://www.sellita.ch/index.php/en/produits/caracteristiques-techniques/sw-200

Gandor

2836s are pretty cheap to just replace entirely if it does break, but in general, they are workhorses that really are fine out of the box.

Rubberman

From where I come from (small country) watchsmith to service reps is hard to comeby. 

To service a easily serviceable movement like A6497 or 2824/2836 cost around US$190 here. Dilemma is service charge to swap in a new movement cost around US$80! Pretty expensive huh! 

Factorin workmanship and new movement cost, onewill suggest to service or swap in new movement whenever old one dies? 

Luxuracer
On 2/6/2018 at 18:44, Glaude said:

You can read this excellent thread full of great infos on the 3135 movements (not only the sa) :

Get with the program bud ... he has an A2836-2 ... not a SA/SH3135.

Short answer for you @ppmoran ... wear it until it stops ... then decide.

Glaude
22 minutes ago, Luxuracer said:

Get with the program bud ... he has an A2836-2 ... not a SA/SH3135.

Short answer for you @ppmoran ... wear it until it stops ... then decide.

Have you read the original quote used you dumb King ? 

On 07/02/2018 at 00:33, ppmoran said:

Luxuracer
1 hour ago, Glaude said:

Have you read the original quote used you dumb King ? 

Oh shit ... the King didn't read. You are forgiven !!!

CoffeeAndBourbon

I am planning on purchasing the same watch! My plan is to wear it until it stops working and then swap in a gen ETA. Still way cheaper than buying a gen sub, haha.

zulu44gmt

It’s probably just me... but all my Asian movements have been serviced- it’s no fun when 6months later your favorite watch just randomly stops for no reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Luxuracer
3 minutes ago, zulu44gmt said:

It’s probably just me... but all my Asian movements have been serviced- it’s no fun when 6months later your favorite watch just randomly stops for no reason.

Do you have someone local do it for you ... or you send them out ?!?

zulu44gmt

I haven’t looked locally yet. There used to be a really active and senior type of member of RWI in the same town as me- he might know more if I ever remember his name... that was like two Crashes ago...

Glaude
13 hours ago, zulu44gmt said:

that was like two Crashes ago...

:lol: