Jpizz123

Noob CrPO dead on arrival

Jpizz123

Hi guys.  I just received a Noob CrPO from Mary (http://marywatch.net/goods.php?id=802)that I think may have been damaged in transit.  After manually winding the watch for a good amount of time, I noticed that the balance wheel was not moving at all and turned the watch over to observe all the hands.  Nothing was moving whatsoever.  

When I first opened the package the seconds hand did have a slight stutter to it, but stopped moving just as I picked up the watch.  Seeing as how Mary is celebrating CNY and will not be back until March, I was wondering if there was anything that I could try to get the watch going. 

I can set the time and the date, but manually winding/shaking the watch to engage the rotor will do nothing to get it started.  I did some digging through the archives and some mentioned that the balance wheel might have gotten stuck, so I opened the caseback and used my puffer to try to potentially dislodge it to not avail.  I also gave a sharp tap to the side of the case but that didn’t help either. 

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again!

GenTLe

Without good pics of the movements, we are blind...

SliceMaster

Contact Mary  and Im sure she will help you out!

Jpizz123

I’m sure Mary will help out but she’s away until the end of the month based on the reply I received.  tdRa0Dw.jpg

Edited by Jpizz123
Pics

GenTLe

If you rotate the movement in your hand, does the balance rotate? (the balance wheel is the one at 12 in your pic, with the red jewel in the middle)

Nikosaldente

Hold the watch by the bracelet and hit the open palm of your other hand with the watch head!

If this doesn't jumpstart it, take it to a watchsmith......

Let us know how it goes!

Jpizz123

Thanks again for the suggestions!  When I rotate the watch, the rotor moves but the balance wheel does not rotate with it.  I did manage to get the watch running with a few taps against my palm, but even after handwinding for a good 20 or so turns, the watch stops after a minute or so.   

Is is it safe to assume that the balance wheel is awry?

Rx4Time

Probably this is a safe assumption.  Personally, I'd sort it locally and write it off as a side cost of our hobby.  Hope it's sorted soon.  They are phenomenal reps.  Mine is very frequently worn.

Jpizz123
17 hours ago, teddy875 said:

Probably this is a safe assumption.  Personally, I'd sort it locally and write it off as a side cost of our hobby.  Hope it's sorted soon.  They are phenomenal reps.  Mine is very frequently worn.

Would this be hard to replace? I have most of the tools but just would need a balance wheel, although I do understand it might be a whole movement issue.  Looking at the YouTube videos it seems like the balance wheel maybe a drop in replacement, but those vids can make rocket science look easy.  Thanks again for the help!

Rx4Time

Unless you want to maintain the movement decorations, I'd pick up a new ETA movement and drop it in, perhaps swap rotors for the decorated rep one.  Better reliability and life expectancy.  You should be good for years if not decades.

BC1221

eBay. Search for “complete balance wheel assembly”. Should run you about $30 bucks. Adjusting it without a timeographer is gonna be a PITA tho.

My guess is one end of the Hairspring got detached form the balance bridge (the 2 little notches you would use to adjust). It’s happened to me before.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GenTLe

Is is it safe to assume that the balance wheel is awry?

It can be a number of things.
Simply not possible to check this way unless there is some obvious thing like a screw stuck visibly in the balance wheel.