bushwacka

AP Diver Ceramic (15707) - which factory?

bushwacka

Looking to get one and I've been googling the hell out of this one, but without any satisfactory results and most stuff i found was from years ago.

Basically I just want a nice new daily beater watch for the summer. I'm not going to mod this, so just going for the best out of the box version. Also want to waterproof it (any versions suited better for this than others?) and slap a camo strap on it, so the correct lug width may be an issue.

My findings in short:

H-Fac: nice matte dial, but other flaws and apparently not in production anymore

V6F/KW: shitty dial, but otherwise ok

BP: listed on several TD sites, but no reviews whatsoever

Noob: nothing specific.

JF: wins on the crystal (although some report it as being milky) and bezel, but worse dial and hands.

The movement question is really a toss-up IMO, since I found contradicting reports on the noise and the 9015 as well as the 2824/2836 are good workhorse movements.

Now generally, JF was always the go-to for AP, but of course this is the only one they had to screw upand it also costs quite a bit more (around $480 vs. the other ones between $300-330). At this point, I'm not even looking for the most gen-like version anymore, but basically (in this order) nice brushing on the bezel, correct orange tone on the hands and a dial that doesn't look like molten plastic.

drifterr

I have the noob version and it's great. Don't think these are available anymore. If they are they will be rejected ones from the factory. So be careful.

I do recall reading fair bit on all forums h factory was superior out of the box.

Hers the noob V4 35c9af542db903b5e7f7e5198f14c8d6.jpgd48b924b4dd722b076bd04fa46be7de8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

mgberns

Hfac is still available and on clearance at some places.

It is by far the best ceramic diver out of the box, only necessary updates really are the hour hand and datewheel.  But even then, from wrist distance it looks the best put together as it has the best dial out of the bunch.

IMG_20180220_024041793_2.jpg

acid_pixel

been looking around the different TDs for this watch.

saw one on offer by trusty, and it is supposedly a new offering by xf /v5 factory v2 edition. can't seem to find much info on this....any review?

bushwacka

Mind sharing a link to it? Trusty's search function is a bit garbage and I only found the FC and white ceramic versions - which look pretty good btw, the white ceramic finally doesn't resemble frozen semen anymore.

Also while going through their offerings, I've found this gem - the fantasy forged carbon open caseback with some orange accents :lol:

http://trustytime.store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=241_288&products_id=15726

drifterr
Hfac is still available and on clearance at some places.

It is by far the best ceramic diver out of the box, only necessary updates really are the hour hand and datewheel.  But even then, from wrist distance it looks the best put together as it has the best dial out of the bunch.

IMG_20180220_024041793_2.jpg

Could you share the link for the wider community.
Thanks mate

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

mgberns

https://www.pf-828.com/0-ap00009-royal-oak-diver-auto-cer-r.html

You're probably going to really change the hour hand.  I haven't gotten around to doing it yet, but it's grey when all the rest of the markings are white.  It's really distracting from an otherwise beautiful watch.  Also the rep strap that comes with it is crap.  Even at the sale price, after you upgrade everything, the complete price is at or slightly higher than JF's offerings, which isn't too bad considering on the wrist without seeing the open caseback, it looks pretty flawless.