daggeman123

Dial replacement on A2892 no prior experience

daggeman123

Hi. I got a watch from a TD which had a wonky 6, i got offered a new dial and need to know if this is doable by myself with no prior experience with watch repair. I would get a tool kit if that were the case. 

Otherwise, is there any trusted watch smith here that the watch + new dial could be sent to be fixed?

tripdog123

Highly unlikely you'll be able to do it yourself.

NCRich

Would need to know what watch and where in the world you are to answer the second half.  Tripdog answered the first.

daggeman123

It’s an IWC rep from perfect clones. Im located within the EU

ryaku

You can make it yourself but most likely you will end up scratching hands and dial. Or even worse.
It's not the right watch to start tinkering.

daggeman123

Any recommendations to some watch repair guy on here? Cant stand it right now

repmaster1234

I will voice the ill-advised minority opinion and say try it yourself. It's really a fairly simple process if you take it step by step. The most difficult part would be removing the hands, which wouldn't be all that difficult if you purchased proper tools. The rest is easy - remove the caseback, remove the movement ring, pop out the crown, remove the hands, unscrew the dial and replace it, then do everything in reverse. If you have another watch to practice the hand removal on then more power to you. 

Yes, it would certainly be a safer option to send it to a modder, but if you plan on taking up this "hobby" of watch collecting then being able to repair them yourself is a priceless skill to have - and you'll need to start somewhere.

GenTLe

2892A2 = you'll nearly for sure mess up the keyless if you're not familiar with this specific movement. Not counting the possible scratches to the hands and dial...

GenTLe
19 hours ago, repmaster1234 said:

I will voice the ill-advised minority opinion and say try it yourself. It's really a fairly simple process if you take it step by step. The most difficult part would be removing the hands, which wouldn't be all that difficult if you purchased proper tools. The rest is easy - remove the caseback, remove the movement ring, pop out the crown, remove the hands, unscrew the dial and replace it, then do everything in reverse. If you have another watch to practice the hand removal on then more power to you. 

Yes, it would certainly be a safer option to send it to a modder, but if you plan on taking up this "hobby" of watch collecting then being able to repair them yourself is a priceless skill to have - and you'll need to start somewhere.

If someone want to start tinkering, then better for him to get a cheapo like these http://stores.ebay.co.uk/BIG-BRAND-VINTAGE-WATCHES-ON-SALE?_trksid=p2047675.l2563, than to ruin a 300$ watch. And for sure he will mess it up, not having right tools and right knowledge on a movement that is quite infamous like a 2892...

repmaster1234
1 hour ago, GenTLe said:

If someone want to start tinkering, then better for him to get a cheapo like these http://stores.ebay.co.uk/BIG-BRAND-VINTAGE-WATCHES-ON-SALE?_trksid=p2047675.l2563, than to ruin a 300$ watch. And for sure he will mess it up, not having right tools and right knowledge on a movement that is quite infamous like a 2892...

I said it was ill-advised advice ;)