gwkiw

Plexi crystal?

gwkiw

All my reps to date have been sapphire glass.  My next rep on my list is only available with Plexi- crystal.  I assume this isn't as high quality as sapphire but is it okay?  I' m very careful with my reps.....   most of the time:paddy-beer:.  How durable is plexi-crystal?

Daywatch

It .... depends - again.  In the fifties and sixties plexi was used  for instance on high quality Rolex and Omega gens as it is very durable and more flexible. It does not shatter like glass - but it does scratch. Light scratches are removable with polywatch, toothpaste etc.  It gives a different feel to the touch (smoother/warmer) and is lighter (not top-heavy) on the wrist.

fetasigma

Personally I prefer plexi, a good vintage dome on a watch just has a certain optical character I like

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

gwkiw

Thanks for the replies.  Sounds like a decent alternative.  It will be on a speedmaster so seems appropriate.  If light scratches can be polished out, bonus. 

fetasigma

If I had known that was the watch then you are getting the only version that matters, hesalite( or plexy on speedmaster lingo) is what went to the moon and back and is the only proper way to get that watch(although a sapphire version of the real deal is Avaliable) they still make the plexy version to this day.

If your really worried about plexy here is a 1969 speedie with original hesalite, My own watch and the hesalite doesnt look bad after 40 plus years

Speedmaster.jpg

Thommo82

I’ve bought a few vintage gens with plexi that had scratches. I used car headlight cleaner to buff them out. Took a little bit of elbow grease and an hour or two but they all came up looking gorgeous 

tabuktime
21 minutes ago, Thommo82 said:

I’ve bought a few vintage gens with plexi that had scratches. I used car headlight cleaner to buff them out. Took a little bit of elbow grease and an hour or two but they all came up looking gorgeous 

It's all in the wrist action, apparently!

trailboss99

Yeah a plexi will scratch but that's just character. I wear a 1680 sub as a daily around the farm and it's a better bet than glass because it's far less likely to break.  

1 hour ago, fetasigma said:

If I had known that was the watch then you are getting the only version that matters, hesalite( or plexy on speedmaster lingo) is what went to the moon and back and is the only proper way to get that watch(although a sapphire version of the real deal is Avaliable) they still make the plexy version to this day.

If your really worried about plexy here is a 1969 speedie with original hesalite, My own watch and the hesalite doesnt look bad after 40 plus years

Speedmaster.jpg

Dude, if you EVER want to sell that . . .

fetasigma

Lol it would take a lot more than it worth to sell my speedie, love that watch and the patina it's earned :)

GingerApple
10 hours ago, fetasigma said:

Speedmaster.jpg

This post had just caused me to spend about an hour on Chrono 24 looking at pre-moon speedys........ Not for the first time I might add....

Damn it I'm tempted.

They're about £6k on there, give or take, depending on condition. Does that sound about right? Any tips from anyone on things to look for in old speedys?

Having got used to the amazing quality of modern Reps, I can't see me ever buying new Gens, but something like this, with the history, the patina, the 'unreppable' dial (unless quartz), the sheer magic -  I can totally see me getting one of these one day. Amazing watches.

fetasigma

Sad thing is this particular one is the transitional model with the original seahorse caseback but the first generation with the 861 movement, I ditched the modern bracelet for now and it's on leather.

Picked it up 5 years ago for under 2 grand, but it did need a 500 dollar service from omega

GingerApple
1 hour ago, fetasigma said:

Sad thing is this particular one is the transitional model with the original seahorse caseback but the first generation with the 861 movement, I ditched the modern bracelet for now and it's on leather.

Picked it up 5 years ago for under 2 grand, but it did need a 500 dollar service from omega

Bargain!

Why do you say 'unfortunately'? Is the older cal-whatever-it-is the movement to get? As you can tell, I've not yet researched this properly. Your looks awesome though, great value for the dosh.

fetasigma

Yep if you can get the 321 movement that's what ups the value considerably, I love my watch but that is the reason for the bargain, these can be found but that have been moving up in price as well

NCRich

Plexis suck.

oVyVYA2.jpg?2

Daffy

Here's the one I am ordering from River today.  Fantastic looking rep, and the volcano domed plexi is supposedly VERY nice.  I will post a review once I receive it!

20161223_094419_HDR-01_zpsbaxmvnqb.jpeg
20161223_094823_HDR-01_zpsk6jm9opp.jpeg
20161223_094543_HDR-01_zps5sutbwhg.jpeg
20161223_094518_HDR-01_zpsmwn9yfgx.jpeg
20161223_094458_HDR-01_zpscrrya7bc.jpeg
20161223_094442_HDR-01_zpsk3m9gglj.jpeg
20161223_094434_HDR-01_zpsrzvxu6kj.jpeg

NCRich
6 minutes ago, Daffy said:

Here's the one I am ordering from River today.  Fantastic looking rep, and the volcano domed plexi is supposedly VERY nice.  I will post a review once I receive it!

20161223_094419_HDR-01_zpsbaxmvnqb.jpeg
20161223_094823_HDR-01_zpsk6jm9opp.jpeg
20161223_094543_HDR-01_zps5sutbwhg.jpeg
20161223_094518_HDR-01_zpsmwn9yfgx.jpeg
20161223_094458_HDR-01_zpscrrya7bc.jpeg
20161223_094442_HDR-01_zpsk3m9gglj.jpeg
20161223_094434_HDR-01_zpsrzvxu6kj.jpeg

Pretty, pretty, pretty.  Tis a beauty!

GingerApple

Lots of nice plexis spring up everywhere now!

23 minutes ago, fetasigma said:

Yep if you can get the 321 movement that's what ups the value considerably, I love my watch but that is the reason for the bargain, these can be found but that have been moving up in price as well.

I need to research this properly. Then rob a bank. Or scam a few in M2M.... Open a modding thread....call myself Donny Jeep.

Daffy
10 hours ago, Robse1 said:

That looks sweeeet @Daffy

Thank you very much.  I am looking forward to it coming in...

gwkiw

Well, looks like a plexi crystal is a totally acceptable option.  Everyone talks about AR coating on sapphire glass.  Is AR coating included with plexi crystal?  The speedy im looking at is plexi but doesn' t mention AR coating in the specs.  Is that a question for the TD. ... 

tripdog123
5 hours ago, gwkiw said:

Well, looks like a plexi crystal is a totally acceptable option.  Everyone talks about AR coating on sapphire glass.  Is AR coating included with plexi crystal?  The speedy im looking at is plexi but doesn' t mention AR coating in the specs.  Is that a question for the TD. ... 

AR on a plexi ?  - you high bro ?

GenTLe

Try to AR coat a plexy and this is what you'll get:
8263479086_effcde3d3b_b.jpgAR coating is an high temperature process...

GingerApple
8 minutes ago, GenTLe said:

Try to AR coat a plexy and this is what you'll get:
8263479086_effcde3d3b_b.jpgAR coating is an high temperature process...

I think that's worked quite well, hardly any reflection! It might impact negatively on water resistance though...

gwkiw

AR coatings can be applied to plastic optical lenses using coating materials without any need for a tempering process....   apparently.   Why not a plexi crystal. 

tripdog123
1 hour ago, gwkiw said:

AR coatings can be applied to plastic optical lenses using coating materials without any need for a tempering process....   apparently.   Why not a plexi crystal. 

That's not what it's about.

A plexi crystal on Pam, an Omega or a Rolex is completely different to a sapphire crystal -you either like it or you don't.

If you're one of the 'lume shot, rehaut alignement, SEL fit, 1:1 date magnification' brigade, then plexi crystals probably aren't for you.