DigitalAddict

Crown stuck, tube unscrewing?

DigitalAddict

Well the honeymoon is over and it only lasted a week.  :(  

I seem to have a problem with the crown and threaded crown tube(?) it screws on to, on my new Noob v7 Submariner A2836-2.  Warning, I love watches, but know nothing about internal repair or if I'm even using the right terms here. ;)

Basically when I unscrew the crown, I think I'm acutally unscrewing the threaded crown tube(?) that the crown would normally unscrew from.  Like I see this:

IMG_9733.jpg

When I really I should be seeing this:

Yl1_Az_Fo.jpg

So assuming I'm not loosing my mind here, I'm curious if there is a safe way for be to try and get that crown unstuck from the tube, and the tube(?) threaded back down tightly?

I feel like I'd have to somehow safely immobilize the threaded crown tube(?) and then safely get the crown un-stuck.  And then of course get the tube well seated again. No idea how, but hoping there might be some tricks or tools.

Any suggestions? or will this have to head back/off to someone to take care of things.  I really don't have any local options, so I guess that would mean back to HK. :(

Thanks..

-James

tripdog123

The tube has unscrewed from the case. 2 solutions:

Very carefully apply a couple of drops of glue to the threaded part of the case tube, screw the crown down firmly and wait 24 hours until the glue is thoroughly dry before attempting to unscrew the crown.

Or, send it to someone capable who will remove the crown and stem, screw the case tube down correctly and replace the crown and stem.

DigitalAddict

@tripdog123  gotcha, that actually sounds interesting...  if I attempt the glue route, what might be suggested.   Something like Locktite thread lock, or more like super glue. :)

Glaude
53 minutes ago, tripdog123 said:

The tube has unscrewed from the case. 2 solutions:

Very carefully apply a couple of drops of glue to the threaded part of the case tube, screw the crown down firmly and wait 24 hours until the glue is thoroughly dry before attempting to unscrew the crown.

Or, send it to someone capable who will remove the crown and stem, screw the case tube down correctly and replace the crown and stem.

Wouldn't this lock the crown to the threaded tube ?

DigitalAddict
1 minute ago, Glaude said:

It seems like if I just applied very little to the threaded portion (which is just the threaded base of the tube really), I'd just be locking that back in place.  Assuming I got it down nice and firm, didn't put too much on, etc, etc.

Glaude
5 minutes ago, DigitalAddict said:

It seems like if I just applied very little to the threaded portion (which is just the threaded base of the tube really), I'd just be locking that back in place.  Assuming I got it down nice and firm, didn't put too much on, etc, etc.

Hmmm yes I wasn't seeing tripdog advise under the right angle, I think this is worth a try !

Nikosaldente

You can use blue loctite....

It's used to secure screws until the time you want to unscrew them!

It's far more forgiving than any other permanent glue in case something goes wrong!

51cpjLy0kqL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

Good luck:D

NCRich

Indeed, blue loctite.  Forgiving so if it does not work you are no worse off.  It is all I use.

DigitalAddict

Thanks everyone...  off to the hardware store, then happy hour...  :car:

Seeglass

Just make sure not to use to much, I used a little bit to much and seized my watch :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tripdog123
13 hours ago, Glaude said:

The only threaded part visible is the part that goes into the case - get any glue on the top part of the thread or on the crown and you may have problems though;

In theory thread tension is what is preventing the crown from unscrewing from the tube, the glue on the lower part of the tube coupled with thread tension from being screwed down firmly will allow the crown to unscrew from the tube.

Glaude
14 hours ago, tripdog123 said:

The only threaded part visible is the part that goes into the case - get any glue on the top part of the thread or on the crown and you may have problems though;

In theory thread tension is what is preventing the crown from unscrewing from the tube, the glue on the lower part of the tube coupled with thread tension from being screwed down firmly will allow the crown to unscrew from the tube.

There's nothing else appart the relative tension of the thread, no glue or no expanding thread to keep it in place ? (On gen or rep)
Damn tolerance must be really tight !

tripdog123
1 minute ago, Glaude said:

There's nothing else appart the relative tension of the thread, no glue or no expanding thread to keep it in place ? (On gen or rep)
Damn tolerance must be really tight !

Rolex doesn't use any glue or sealant on their case tubes - but there is a gasket at the tube/case junction to ensure water resistance- other than that it's tension on the threads that holds the tube in place - it is pretty tightly screwed in.

Glaude
26 minutes ago, tripdog123 said:

Rolex doesn't use any glue or sealant on their case tubes - but there is a gasket at the tube/case junction to ensure water resistance- other than that it's tension on the threads that holds the tube in place - it is pretty tightly screwed in.

:thumbsup2: Thanks for the answer !

Do you happen to know what type, step of thread this is ?

DigitalAddict

Well.. I'm bummed.  I gave the crown tube threads a decent amount of Loctite, screwed it down tight with some careful pressure via a needlenose w/ layer of rubber to protect the crown, then left it 24 hours.  Was very careful not to put too much as I didn't want to lock the crown to the tube also, etc.   But in the end it was very stubborn to get to budge at all, and when if finally did the Loctite broke free and I'm back where I started.  Seems that crown must be incredibly stuck.  

At this point I feel like i'm probably best off trying to get it serviced.  Ideally by someone who may have a replacement Noob V7 crown tube and crown as mine has been worked over pretty well and has a few battle scars at this point.   But is that an impossible request?  Do people have replacement parts like that available (overseas I presume) ?   I guess I'll start by asking Mary (who I bought it from) to see if she might be able to help.  Shipping it back out of here as it came would be a trick though, as we have limited services where I live.   Would there be anyone in the states that could help with something like this?

Anyway..  it's whiskey time after this little adventure tonight.   To me it really just seems like they should have a reverse thread on that crown tube.  I'd think that would take care of any potential issues.  I know that works well for weed whackers ;) 

tripdog123
10 hours ago, Glaude said:

:thumbsup2: Thanks for the answer !

Do you happen to know what type, step of thread this is ?

It's an M4 thread with a 0.35 mm pitch.

6 hours ago, DigitalAddict said:

Well.. I'm bummed.  I gave the crown tube threads a decent amount of Loctite, screwed it down tight with some careful pressure via a needlenose w/ layer of rubber to protect the crown, then left it 24 hours.  Was very careful not to put too much as I didn't want to lock the crown to the tube also, etc.   But in the end it was very stubborn to get to budge at all, and when if finally did the Loctite broke free and I'm back where I started.  Seems that crown must be incredibly stuck.  

At this point I feel like i'm probably best off trying to get it serviced.  Ideally by someone who may have a replacement Noob V7 crown tube and crown as mine has been worked over pretty well and has a few battle scars at this point.   But is that an impossible request?  Do people have replacement parts like that available (overseas I presume) ?   I guess I'll start by asking Mary (who I bought it from) to see if she might be able to help.  Shipping it back out of here as it came would be a trick though, as we have limited services where I live.   Would there be anyone in the states that could help with something like this?

Anyway..  it's whiskey time after this little adventure tonight.   To me it really just seems like they should have a reverse thread on that crown tube.  I'd think that would take care of any potential issues.  I know that works well for weed whackers ;) 

If that didn't work then the crown is probably cross threaded on the tube - locked in place.

Somebody on RWI had the same thing - same watch too, oddly enough. The tube on his stayed screwed into the case, but the crown was locked in place - he couldn't get it to unscrew, even when using pliers.

Fixing yours is pretty easy to do for somebody who knows what he's doing. You just need to remove the case back,  depress the stem release button and remove the stem. Unscrew the case tube from the crown, replace it in the case and re-introduce the stem into the movement.

If you know nothing of working on watches, then I don't suggest you try it yourself, but for any competent watch smith it's a 20 minute job.

What country are you in ?

DigitalAddict
3 hours ago, tripdog123 said:

If that didn't work then the crown is probably cross threaded on the tube - locked in place.

Somebody on RWI had the same thing - same watch too, oddly enough. The tube on his stayed screwed into the case, but the crown was locked in place - he couldn't get it to unscrew, even when using pliers.

Fixing yours is pretty easy to do for somebody who knows what he's doing. You just need to remove the case back,  depress the stem release button and remove the stem. Unscrew the case tube from the crown, replace it in the case and re-introduce the stem into the movement.

If you know nothing of working on watches, then I don't suggest you try it yourself, but for any competent watch smith it's a 20 minute job.

What country are you in ?

Yes, I've been looking at videos to see what's involved.  Really does seem pretty straight-forward, but not at as a first adventure for someone like me with massive hands, no tools, etc. :)

I wrote Mary but she's gone for CNY for another week.  

I'm in Montana (northwestern United States).  

At this point if I'm going to go through the trouble of shipping it out for repair, I'd really like to get the crown tube and crown replaced if possible. (Which makes me think it would have to head overseas again, but I'd love to be wrong.)  They've been worked over a bit at this point so it seems like the right thing to do.

Thanks for your help and advice on this.   Just bum luck I guess. 

-James