repmaster1234

My Bakelite Insert Journey

repmaster1234

Hi folks,

I would like to offer  a special thanks to @NCRich and @Bart Cordell for providing me with all the measurements and moral support that I needed to complete this project.

For the past few months I've been working on a project that I'm sure many vintage watch enthusiasts have considered embarking on themselves - creating a bakelite bezel insert for the 6542. This all started off because A) I thought these inserts were beautiful and B) I wanted to create an affordable alternative to the $250-500 Vietnam inserts. After many months of struggling with seemingly every little task, I finally managed to get a decent end product. So, before I spoil you with pictures ....how did I do it?

Well, first off I decided that the easiest way to do this damn thing would be with 3D printing, as I am familiar with AutoCAD. So I downloaded as many reference photos I could find of original bakelite inserts, threw them into Adobe Illustrator and began making a pattern that I would later import into CAD.

Screen-Shot-2018-02-16-at-4.33.26-PM2190

There were many iterations of this drawing. Some of the earlier ones I experimented on with Blender, a free 3D modeling program. These attempts were very crude, and I ditched this program eventually as it was causing many headaches.

Screen-Shot-2018-02-16-at-4.34.36-PMa1d9

After weeks of tinkering around, I was satisfied with the drawing I had created, and I found an excellent alternative to Blender that was much more intuitive to use - so I imported the pattern and got to modeling. At the beginning, I figured it would be smart to make a 3D model of a mold for a bezel so I could pour in clear plastic and create as many as I needed to - makes sense right? Well apparently plastic bonds to plastic, so this idea - and the many 3D models that came with it - were tossed out the window. 

Bye!

Screen-Shot-2018-01-14-at-9.10.15-PMc2ef

Now my only option was to model the bezel itself, which was actually less annoying than trying to model a mold for one. Here are renderings I created from my first effort, not too bad but still a lot to improve clearly.

Bezelfinalaac0d37f13390404.png

frontview38307ac739a18e10.png

After much refining, I came up with something that I thought was reasonably accurate enough to print.

Screen-Shot-2018-01-24-at-9.03.22-PM757b

So I did. I received my baby in the mail after waiting for two looonnng weeks.

IMG_4675cb251b44b5df8d9d.jpg

I was overjoyed! Now all I needed was a mold. I did much research, and came to the conclusion that a silicon mold was my best option to produce clear resin castings. Here's what I came up with. The pencil became the pour spout and the toothpicks are to allow trapped air bubbles to escape. This is when I started to realize why these things are so damn expensive.

_R010249c36b5be35e176873.jpg

_R010251417a2f0c81968e0e.jpg

_R0102531a93b988b6e2c1ab.jpg

_R0102554b5f8e8ab6bbce4f.jpg

_R010256711ffe2a7b4a374f.jpg

Now all I had to do was pour in the resin, produce a bunch of really shitty reproductions because I have no idea what I'm doing (seriously, so shitty), until I finally managed to create this:

_R0102577b4495f31a015fec.jpg

A crystal clear "bakelite" insert. I decided that I wanted the lume to actually function as per the original, so I bought some powder and delicately painted it into the numerals. I then hand painted both the red and the blue halves. I wanted to give this one a vintage look, because I find those inserts to be the most attractive. The ones where the blue fades to a seafoam color and looks like a cloudy sky (I've spent way too much time looking at pictures of bakelite inserts clearly). Here it is halfway finished and with only one coat of paint.

_R010264227651cb597385f7.jpg

and from the front side

_R010263348be1bbd8566725.jpg

And after many more coats of paint...

_R0102771b8f4190ebfe83a7.jpg

In the sun

_R0102722048bfcf1476b3c2.jpg

_R0102713bdf46c84faaf140.jpg

And a lume shot

_R010279285efca376391d12.jpg

VS the real deal

IMG_4711144a6a1198587784.jpg

All in all, I'm pretty satisfied with the way this turned out, and hopefully my future castings will only improve in quality - one can only hope. I think I'll sell this one on Ebay for Vietnam prices to recoup the many hundreds of dollars I've spent making this damn thing...and to provide me with funds to make a new round of inserts to sell to my rep-world friends. 

_R010270b65c63d125b0a840.jpg

Thanks for reading.

Edited by repmaster1234
  • Like 1

NCRich

WOWWWWWW!  Nice work mate.  I guess I'll have to lume your dial this weekend.  (on my work schedule anyway)

Mr_B

Looks fantastic. Good effort mate. 

GingerApple

To think that I feel a sense of satisfaction when I resize a bracelet. Wow. Tekkers buddy!!!!

Glaude

Great work and great pictures, thank for sharing !

repmaster1234
22 minutes ago, NCRich said:

WOWWWWWW!  Nice work mate.  I guess I'll have to lume your dial this weekend.  (on my work schedule anyway)

Don't get me too excited, I'm still riding the high from this project. Just remember to lay off the coffee the day of luming :bounce:

10 minutes ago, Glaude said:

Great work and great pictures, thank for sharing !

14 minutes ago, GingerBubba said:

To think that I feel a sense of satisfaction when I resize a bracelet. Wow. Tekkers buddy!!!!

18 minutes ago, Mr_B said:

Looks fantastic. Good effort mate. 

Thank you all

wolfwood

Amazing!  Now I finally know how they make those Bakelites.

Nikosaldente

Amazing result!

The feeling of accomplishing something like that in your own is very satisfying!

I once managed to copy a pretty expensive nose clip used for Free Diving!

I made it from Resin used in Dentistry!

I ended up spending almost as much as it would cost buying the real thing, but this one I had done it myself!

Great job, well done!

frankfrank

Wow this is really cool

Well done

paccbet

I think I need a 6542 now :lol: 

deju

That’s simply impressive on every level!!! 

repmaster1234
45 minutes ago, Nikosaldente said:

Amazing result!

The feeling of accomplishing something like that in your own is very satisfying!

I once managed to copy a pretty expensive nose clip used for Free Diving!

I made it from Resin used in Dentistry!

I ended up spending almost as much as it would cost buying the real thing, but this one I had done it myself!

Great job, well done!

What a great story! Do you happen to have pics? I'd love to see 

Nikosaldente
9 hours ago, repmaster1234 said:

What a great story! Do you happen to have pics? I'd love to see 

I'm away from home for the weekend!

I'll try to find the molds and final result and post them in the week:D

Logixa

Wow this is really cool! I can always appreciate some diy! 

Explorr

I truly admire you and your work.

Could I do it, even if I wanted? More than doubt it.

Congrats !

Thommo82

E4_E31296-1369-485_D-9_D66-9_D0_B57_FD4_

Psssniper

Awesome work! I'm impressed with the perseverance and the results. Thanks for sharing

repmaster1234

Thanks for all the support. I refinished the topcoat to make it suitable for listing on the 'bay. 

_R0102906ffb18fafc1ac3d0.jpg

repmaster1234

New one, went for a more NOS look.

_R01031399c6eaa2bb685e17.jpg

_R0103146e8f353d366e211c.jpg

_R01031589f69139beae2e96.jpg

_R0103177f1fb8403128f73c.jpg

_R0103286cc6a96972043926.jpg

Genius

Damn that's good! I really want one

deju

That’s really slick! 

paccbet

You definitely deserve that “master” in your name 

Nico23

Repmaster1234, please contact me concerning this bakelit insert on [email protected] …. thanks