manodeoro

Valentine's DaYtejust ... or"why and how my wife has got a new watch"

manodeoro

All this has begun because my wife heard about my "Miss Bond" project a few months ago (my sons are faulty here ... they can't keep a secret).
Now she's impatiently waiting to see that watch, but I'm never satisfied of the dials I build for that project and always delay the finishing.

So I've had the idea, to smooth a little the waiting process, to design a simple build for her for Valentine's Day.

I started with what I must call an "overdecorated" project ... something really too "sweetened"

image.jpg

I showed that project to some friends and they asked me if I really wanted to produce what they called a "shamallow watch"

So I have decided to build something a little more ... "less"

THE BASE WATCH :

I started with a 36mm Datejust from Silix ... nothing really special about that watch except the nice sunburst effect on the dial

And please dont call me a Scrooge tongue1.png

This is, indeed, a cheap base watch, but the final result is much better IMHO
And she (my wife) will get a diamond (real) ring as a birthday present while we will be in Saigon next April

image.jpg

NEW BRACELET :

The Oyster bracelet that came with the watch was really not comfortable (at the least) even after a baby oil bath.

So I quickly swapped for a Jubilee bracelet which is much more soft on the wrist and had a real "jewellery" look to the watch.
I've had to bend a little the springbars so that they could fit in the holes inside the lugs, so that was not a 5 minutes swap but evrything went well at the end.

image.jpg

I've had the watch on my wrist for a few days just to be sure it was working OK and kept time well, then I begun modding it.

THE DIAL MOD :

I have kept my first idea of a gradient pink layout, kept the "red hearts" too ...
but the central "LOVE" writing had to go to the bin ... really bad taste it was ... sometimes I wonder "what's on my mind"

I did not took pics while modding the dial but it's really an easy and simple modd, as long as you keep the path and act patiently enough.
This method can be used for any other DJ and/or DD dial mod, as long as you want to get a "soft" and "non covering" color pattern.

PREPARING THE DECAL :
01 - scan the existing dial so that you can use it as a template
02 - open the scan with photoshop (or the gimp) and resize it to the dial's size
03 - create the pink gradient pattern with the air-brush tool on an specific sheet
04 - open a new sheet and place the "hearts" ... playing with different sizes and taking care not to place them over the printings of the dial
05 - create a tiff image with only the pink pattern and the hearts (not the dial used as a template) and print it on a clear decal sheet ... the difficulty here i to play with the color density because when put on the dial the pink pattern will be less dense ... so if not enough density when you print and the pink pattern wont be visible but if too much density and the sunburst effect on the dial will disappear
07 - spray 2 coats of matte varnish (waiting 24 hours between each) and let dry

PREPARATING THE DIAL :
08 - carefully release the bar indeces and the coronet ... warning !!! those parts are really tiny and have a tendency to satelize themselves ... and take care not snatching the tiny lume dots
09 - carefuly "clean" the holes on the dial, where you will insert the pins under the indexes and coronet when putting them back ... I use a really thin needle (used for sawing silk) with a handle made with painter's masking tape

PUTTING THE DECAL ON :
10 - moisten the decal sheet ith tepid water then put it on the dial ... there will be some "bubbles" where the decal covers the lume dots but we will take care of that later
11 - let dry for 24 hours so that the decal has perfectly stuck ... it's really important because we wont put any varnish now because it could hide the sunburst effect on the dial
12 - moisten the decal with "micro sol" (in fact I use white vinegar ... much cheaper and works perfectly) only where it covers the lume dots and xait for about 5 minutes ... then the decal is softened so you can press it around the lume dots with a moisten paper towel ... the decal should perfectly deforms arround the lume dots and ... no more bubbles
13 - let dry for 24 hours

PUTTING THE INDEXES AND CORONET BACK ON :
14 - get the "silk sawing" needle and carefully pit the decal where there is holes on the dial ... so that the pins under the indexes and coronet wont tear the decal
15 - put the indexes and coronet back and gently press on them so that the pins are perfectly pushed in ... get some eyewash and use it cause your eyes are probably aching now
16 - put the dial upside down on a soft fabric and put a really thin coat of hypo cement on the holes where the pins are inserte ... just to secure everything
17 - let dry for about 24 hours
THAT'S IT ... now you can put the dial on the movement, put the hands back, case everything and enjoy ... or offer of course, if it is a gift

UPGRADES SCHEDULED and/or CONSIDERED :

BEZEL ... scheduled :
After RWI shutdown I thought I would never get the nice engined urned bezel that ZuluGMT offered on sale (I didnt had his PP adress and he didnt had my shipping adress).
Fortunately RWI is back and since today the bezel is on his way to me.
So in a few days it will be there and will take the place of the flutted bezel.

ENDLINKS ... scheduled :
The endlinks that came with the Jubille bracelet are really bad, even after reworkong the polish/brushed effect.
So I will replace them really soon ... probably from Raffles

CROWN ... scheduled :
The crown is ... really not perfect ... like many crowns on Rep Datejust.
Too low on the case, inside chamfer to enough present, etc ...
I first thought about reworking the inside chamfer to make it look better but I finaly search for a much better "crown + tube" set ... possibly Gen if I can get a good offer (and it I can fi it)

CLASP ... considered :
It keeps well closed and is not too much ugly ... but a little ugly evertheless
So it will depend on how my better half keep loving her watch ... if her first entusiasm evolves into passion and if that watch keeps on her wrist then I'll opt for a clasp swap.

After that ... we will see if I stand there of go to something better ... the DG283 keeps time pretty well but it's a cheap movement, so possibly a 2843-2 and a new handset
All this will depend on how my beauty loves her new beauty

Of course all (constructive) opinions and (good) advices are welcomed so please feel free to post here

PICS :

ttiwwop.gif

Indeed ... so I here they are

Perhaps I put too many pics of the dial but I wanted to try to show how the pattern can change from "dark pink" to "almost invisible" just depending on the lighting

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by manodeoro

Natas78

cool stuff! I did a similar job on a daydate for the wife, might have some pics.. I also used a silix cheapie, regret it now because the movement is really awful. It also came with a cheapo president bracelet and it too a lot of work to balance it to her (tiny) wrist

repmaster1234

Excellent work! An innovative use of decals and a beautiful result. Just last night I was considering using a similar "overlay" method to add silver or red text on top of a preexisting gilt decal. What does the wife think?

Glaude

Great work mate !

Thank you for sharing all the process !

manodeoro

3 hours ago, Natas78 said:

cool stuff! I did a similar job on a daydate for the wife, might have some pics.. I also used a silix cheapie, regret it now because the movement is really awful. It also came with a cheapo president bracelet and it too a lot of work to balance it to her (tiny) wrist

I've seen your posts on RWI @Natas78and I was waiting for some pics when the forum went down ... so feel free to post them here.

Fortunately my wife is tall (5.77ft) plus she prefers to wear watches  a little loose, so though she has really thin wrists she can easily stand a 36mm and a Jubilee.

That was a first try in modding a DJ and she really loves it, so the next step will be to to upgrade and/or to go Franken or Gen.

But to be honest, after a little oiling, the movement in that watch is not that bad ... I would say "good enough to wait for something better" 

3 hours ago, repmaster1234 said:

Excellent work! An innovative use of decals and a beautiful result. Just last night I was considering using a similar "overlay" method to add silver or red text on top of a preexisting gilt decal. What does the wife think?

The wife LOVES it !!! she's definitely fond of it !!!

About adding silver and/or red on top of a gilt dial it will be much more difficult because inkjet and even laser inks are transparent, so when you put your decal upon a black background they are almost invisible.

The only way I have found, for silver + gilt dials, is to put the silver directly on the polished copper dial BEFORE putting the black decal ... so the silver is in negative just as the gilt.

Bart Cordell achieved to build a red depth gilt dial, using the same method I suppose.

The only way I can imagine to put colors OVER the black background would be, apart from using a pad printer, would be to have a clear decal printed with a sublimation printer ... that way you can have non transparent colors plus some sublimation printers can print in bright silver and gold ... I'm working on that with a guitar decal supplier so I hope I should how some nice things later.

1 hour ago, Glaude said:

Great work mate !

Thank you for sharing all the process !

You're welcome my fellow French buddy.

Sharing the process is inclusive with the pleasure of building those things ... I just share here (and there) what I've learned there (and here).

repmaster1234
18 minutes ago, manodeoro said:

About adding silver and/or red on top of a gilt dial it will be much more difficult because inkjet and even laser inks are transparent, so when you put your decal upon a black background they are almost invisible.

The only way I have found, for silver + gilt dials, is to put the silver directly on the polished copper dial BEFORE putting the black decal ... so the silver is in negative just as the gilt.

I have used the same method, but if you needed very precise details it would be difficult to get the location right. I was thinking, what if you printed the decal with the non-black colors and applied it first to the dial, then the black on top with clear parts where the colored text should be?  Then you don't have the transparency issue.

manodeoro
1 hour ago, repmaster1234 said:

I have used the same method, but if you needed very precise details it would be difficult to get the location right. I was thinking, what if you printed the decal with the non-black colors and applied it first to the dial, then the black on top with clear parts where the colored text should be?  Then you don't have the transparency issue.

It's quite easy to get the right location ... you just have to :

- put a 1st decal

- mark the place where you want to put your second color

- recess the copper dial plate a little  with a dremel

- remove the decal

- put your color (for silver I used nail varnish)

- polish everything smooth

- put the final decal on

I did my Serpico Y Laino 5513 dial using this method

IMG_20170508_150939570.jpg

If you use a decal the color wont be "dense" enough.

With a clear printed with a sublimation printer you can have a white base under the colored print so it will be perfectly "opaque" (non certain this term exist in english) and it will perfectly cover the black underground. 

Edited by manodeoro

repmaster1234

Thanks for the write up! ... and sorry for threadjacking. I used a similar process for a 6538 dial, however I hadn't heard of the dremel trick, great advice. I've been looking into pad printing recently too.

s9SFGR4.jpg

manodeoro

Thanks for the write up! ... and sorry for threadjacking. I used a similar process for a 6538 dial, however I hadn't heard of the dremel trick, great advice. I've been looking into pad printing recently too.

No problem buddy.

Now ... BACK TO THE PINKIE

CYMERA_20180217_191732.jpg

CYMERA_20180219_072235.jpg

sent from my Moto G5 Plus using Tapatalk