RepGuy

Clerc Hydroscaph Central Chronograph

RepGuy

My new model CHY-157 Clerc just arrived today, and I wanted to do a short review on initial thoughts and specifications. This is a limited edition Hydroscaph Central Chronograph model, numbered 21/500, in steel and fitted with a rubberized hornback crocodile deployment strap. The watch is larger at 43.8mm (49mm to crown), but wears much smaller thanks to the articulated lugs of the case, which create a more customized fit. 

This model uses the Clerc Calibre C608, which is a 51 jewel movement with small seconds, central chronograph functions, and a 24 hour day and night subdial. The central chronograph is a cool feature, as it removes the need for the usual chronograph subdial seen on most movements. So far, movement accuracy is spot on, and the rubberization done to the strap feels better than I thought. The deployment clasp is secure, and the orange stitching ties into the dial well. The lume is strong and legible, and the overall readability of the dial is good as well. The locking bezel is a cool feature, and the bezel itself has a crisp click each time it is engaged. The back of the case features two separate sapphire glass display windows, although most of the movement is still hidden behind the caseback.

I plan to update this with better pictures and observations at some point if I can remember, but the below will do for now. The accessories (box, paperwork, ect.) are all high quality as well, but nobody really cares about those in an observational review, so I didn't bother to picture those.

moJhqg.jpg

TrlyBR.jpg

FTEEnj.jpg

xcPPKX.jpg

YF8bvO.jpg

UrCK2G.jpg

u0a4Fw.jpg

NFleischer

Nice piece, congrats. You don't see a lot of Clerc watches around here.

RepGuy
46 minutes ago, NFleischer said:

Nice piece, congrats. You don't see a lot of Clerc watches around here.

Thanks, so far so good with the new watch. It seems to be a more obscure brand, but I'm surprised nobody else here (that I know of) has one.

GC

I like everything about it, it is very intriguing. Although busy, it works well together! And Clerc with their signature bezel design, superb choice. 

Enjoy it 

RepGuy
56 minutes ago, GC said:

I like everything about it, it is very intriguing. Although busy, it works well together! And Clerc with their signature bezel design, superb choice. 

Enjoy it 

Thanks,  it's definitely busy, but I've found I enjoy "out there" dials for weekend watches, and more conservative size/style for the work week. 

GenTLe

Hi RepGuy, care to explain what exactly is a central chrono? :)
I see a normal chronograph central second hand but I can't get where the hour/minute counters are :)

FunnyStarSystem

Very distinctive, looks well made and solid. What's the weight on this?

TheSav

Nice and distinctive piece. I have taken a liking to Clerc lately. 

Thommo82

Uniquely beautiful 

RepGuy
10 hours ago, GenTLe said:

Hi RepGuy, care to explain what exactly is a central chrono? :)
I see a normal chronograph central second hand but I can't get where the hour/minute counters are :)

Sure, but keep in mind I'm still learning about this movement, so I may miss something other than the basics.

Clerc has a custom module built into the base movement that removed the normal chronograph subdials, and replaces it with the normal small seconds and 24 hour day/night complication. It's hard to tell when not in use, but there is an orange chrono minute hand hidden behind the normal seconds hand in white.

When activated, the white seconds hand starts normally, and reveals the orange hand behind it, which goes up in minute increments as the seconds chrono hand ticks away. I started it up and took a picture, where you can see the orange hand keeping track of the minutes while the white hand handles seconds.

IuQY5o.jpg

RepGuy
10 hours ago, funnystarsystem said:

Very distinctive, looks well made and solid. What's the weight on this?

Weight is 180 grams

RepGuy
8 hours ago, TheSav said:

Nice and distinctive piece. I have taken a liking to Clerc lately. 

I seem to be drawn towards different pieces after having so many sub-style watches. I didn't originally plan on getting a genuine Clerc, but there were no suitable alternatives available, aside from one quarts homage coming in around $550 USD. Unfortunately Clerc isn't repped, so that too was out of the question.

8 hours ago, Thommo82 said:

Uniquely beautiful 

Thnx bby :Kiss:

Genius

Cool and unique watch there , gotta love that they done something different with the movement and not just used an off the shelf 

RepGuy
11 minutes ago, Genius said:

Cool and unique watch there , gotta love that they done something different with the movement and not just used an off the shelf 

I agree, but I'm still trying to figure out what their base Calibre C608 is based on. I know it's not made in house, but so far that's all I've got. 

Genius
3 hours ago, RepGuy said:

I agree, but I'm still trying to figure out what their base Calibre C608 is based on. I know it's not made in house, but so far that's all I've got. 

Best guess would be a 2892 they often used with the Dubois Depraz piggy back chronograph modules due to how things they are giving space of the bolt on, possibly a modified dd2054 module to swap the minutes from 9 to the centre

GenTLe

Thanks for the explanation! That's nice (not so installing all those hands on the same post) :)

edwinowl

Nice watches clerc.  A friend had one previous model or very similar to this. 

Quality was superb. 

RepGuy
12 minutes ago, edwinowl said:

Nice watches clerc.  A friend had one previous model or very similar to this. 

Quality was superb. 

Quality definitely is up there. No loose parts or rocking bezel so far, and everything is machined extremely well. I also really like the look of their H1 Chronometer model, but my wallet can't take it at the moment.

NFleischer

I think they are fairly expensive, no?

I used to see them all the time years ago at gray market sites like World of Watches, etc.

RepGuy
1 minute ago, NFleischer said:

I think they are fairly expensive, no?

I used to see them all the time years ago at gray market sites like World of Watches, etc.

They're up their in price, but it doesn't mean you can't get a good deal if you look around. Gray market dealers still carry them, but they aren't a very prevalent luxury watch compared to what most people purchase.