Stantondowd

Scratched Rolex Dial - Help Needed

Stantondowd

Hi all,

Refurbing white Datejust dial.

Dial markers were removed, old lume was removed and markers reattached to dial ready for some of Nociluminovas finest.

However when refitted I noticed some scratches on the face, not sure where in the process it went wrong!

Anyone have some suggestions for possible fix?

Cheers.c082d705c73ed8cc848379f1ec40258b.jpg046ff1454e5ebec262d698d62b533dbc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GenTLe

You need a new dial mate.

repmaster1234

You could try hand polishing them out, but those looks pretty deep. 

Stantondowd

Fab, hadn’t thought of that :D

But yeh, I agree.  Everything I could think of would most probably just cause more damage, thus the post.

repmaster1234
4 minutes ago, Stantondowd said:

Fab, hadn’t thought of that :D

But yeh, I agree.  Everything I could think of would most probably just cause more damage, thus the post.

Depending on how thick the finish is, you could try to repolish it starting from a high grit sandpaper. I would start around 1000 grit and work your way up to 3000. Just tear off a very small piece and work around the markers, or remove them and glue them back in after. After dry and wet sanding with 3000, hand polish with pumice then rotten stone. Might not work, but if you're gonna buy a new dial anyway then who cares. 

Edited by repmaster1234

NCRich

No sandpaper.  Spray it with a coat of lacquer.  Hit the scratched area first with a quick spray.  Let dry.  If you've filled it in a bit then you can spray the whole dial.  You may have to do it a couple times.  Don't go crazy with the lacquer.  I have done this a dozen times.

The key is to match the lacquer to the dial finish.  So you have matte, semigloss, and gloss.  Pick the best one.  Don't remove the indices, you will fuck it up.

This is actually an easy fix. 

repmaster1234

LOL Rich. I would probably follow his advice. 

Stantondowd

Ok, so the scratches do look MUCH worse in the pics than in the flesh ... and only visible in a certain light. In fact I only spotted with a loupe.

i am thinking that may not show up once installed.

Also, would it be to amateurish to try Autoglym car polish?

26e3d5cfa92ed8c04070e05c746f8d89.jpg

No sandpaper.  Spray it with a coat of lacquer.  Hit the scratched area first with a quick spray.  Let dry.  If you've filled it in a bit then you can spray the whole dial.  You may have to do it a couple times.  Don't go crazy with the lacquer.  I have done this a dozen times.
The key is to match the lacquer to the dial finish.  So you have matte, semigloss, and gloss.  Pick the best one.  Don't remove the indices, you will fuck it up.
This is actually an easy fix. 

Ok “easy fix” sounds good .... but (and forgive my ignorance) what sort of lacquer?

Do you use a certain product?

Thanks.

NCRich

I didn't read throughly.  If you are capable of removing the indices (since you relumed it) then take that indice off and try to polish it.  Nothing to lose.

I use acrylic lacquer.  Just a good brand from a hobby store.