repmaster1234

A Different Luming Technique?

repmaster1234

Hey again all,

Rich and I were having a conversation the other day about luming technique, when he suggested that I try using Elmers glue mixed with watercolors and water to thin it. I had previously been using nail polish (oil based), which was much more finicky.  I tried his method and found the water based solution difficult to apply with an oiler. I was thinking about it as I was falling asleep, usually when I come up with my best ideas, and I thought why not create "stamps" that are the exact size and shape of the lume plots and just stamp the solution on? So I dug around in my art supplies and found these toothpick sized wooden sticks with a square base

DSCF01336427cf2eca3f7420.jpg

I used a pocket knife to carve these into my stamps - from left to right: 12 o'clock triangle marker, 3/6/9 rectangle, and circle for the rest

DSCF01290c2a1b75a0fc41d4.jpg

And the rest of my supplies

DSCF0136c136ddc6f9003a35.jpg

Not awful for a first try. I think this technique might have potential. Plus no shaking in your damn boots trying to apply the shit with a tiny point. One dial took about 30 seconds too.

DSCF01443ce7deeec506824d.jpg

ryaku

Not awful?! You gotta be kidding me, it's impressive. 

NCRich

Very nice!

Genius

That's really feckin clever!

JSJ

Having tried the oiler technique which is a right bugger, I can see how this is a great idea. Thanks.

repmaster1234

Thanks all! Now if only I knew how to make dial plates we'd be in business...

Glaude

Very nice results ! 

Enlighten me with your knowledge Rolex boys : Does the lume is supposed to get to the white line delimiting each dot or the triangle or is a gap supposed to be present between the lume and said line ?

This method is very clean, but seeing the work of Rich, does this defeat the look of a vintage or is this perfectly compatible with a credible vintage work ? 

I could have a technique to produce on the cheap exact shape and size of the lume marker.

repmaster1234
9 minutes ago, Glaude said:

Very nice results ! 

Enlighten me with your knowledge Rolex boys : Does the lume is supposed to get to the white line delimiting each dot or the triangle or is a gap supposed to be present between the lume and said line ?

This method is very clean, but seeing the work of Rich, does this defeat the look of a vintage or is this perfectly compatible with a credible vintage work ? 

I could have a technique to produce on the cheap exact shape and size of the lume marker.

No gap.

rolex-6538-big-crown-james-bond-submarin

Glaude
3 minutes ago, repmaster1234 said:

No gap.

rolex-6538-big-crown-james-bond-submarin

And with that technique you do it in one go or several "stamping" ? (several I imagine)

Would a rubbery surface be better for applying it or a spongy surface even ? (with the right shape I mean)

repmaster1234
7 minutes ago, Glaude said:

And with that technique you do it in one go or several "stamping" ? (several I imagine)

Would a rubbery surface be better for applying it or a spongy surface even ? (with the right shape I mean)

Several would be best. And yes, I was actually thinking today that there might be some sort of rubber aerosol spray that I could use on the wooden sticks... but I'm assuming you have a better idea in mind?

Glaude

My mini laser cnc can cut easily through rubber, wood, etc., so given the right measurement I can cut the precise shape in any of this material, after that you can glue the shape to any stick or handy object you like to work with, even using a screwdriver with removable tip and use broken or worn out screwdriver heads to glue the shape to it.

I'll try tomorrow to cut a shape in multiple material and later if you gave me measurement I can send you the shapes.

You can also do that with simply printing a pattern and use a xacto knife to cut some rubber.

repmaster1234
22 minutes ago, Glaude said:

My mini laser cnc can cut easily through rubber, wood, etc., so given the right measurement I can cut the precise shape in any of this material, after that you can glue the shape to any stick or handy object you like to work with, even using a screwdriver with removable tip and use broken or worn out screwdriver heads to glue the shape to it.

I'll try tomorrow to cut a shape in multiple material and later if you gave me measurement I can send you the shapes.

You can also do that with simply printing a pattern and use a xacto knife to cut some rubber.

Nice! I'll try the xacto knife and shoot you a PM.

paccbet

Oh yeah!!

NCRich

Well as for defeating work.  I'd love to have a goof proof way to do this.  I'm all about improving the method of everydamnthing.

Glaude
11 minutes ago, NCRich said:

Well as for defeating work.  I'd love to have a goof proof way to do this.  I'm all about improving the method of everydamnthing.

Yes but I really like your "not perfect" way of the lume application, I think it gives a nice vintage touch to the dial, my question was mostly aimed at this, I wasn't sure if your method was on purpose or if applying it more precisely is too difficult to do without a specific tool.

I'll work with repmaster and if I can produce some nice result, I'll send you whatever you need !

NCRich
6 minutes ago, Glaude said:

Yes but I really like your "not perfect" way of the lume application, I think it gives a nice vintage touch to the dial, my question was mostly aimed at this, I wasn't sure if your method was on purpose or if applying it more precisely is too difficult to do without a specific tool.

I'll work with repmaster and if I can produce some nice result, I'll send you whatever you need !

Yes it is still the vintage look .  But always nice to get techniques.  Reppy has warped us into a different galaxy.

ryaku

No update? :D

This thread is super beneficial for all of us, let's keep it alive

Glaude

I have advanced on the subject with repmaster, I'll do some test in the week on some idea we had together, I'll let him update this post when there's something really interesting to add ;) 

ryaku

That would be great, thanks Glaude and repmaster ;)

Haltec
On 27/02/2018 at 23:29, ryaku said:

Not awful?! You gotta be kidding me, it's impressive. 

@OP Awesome!!!! 

Truly great idea!!

Wouldn't be surprised if GEN was produced this way.  

Kudos for idea  

P.s. I have observed hunderds of 6538 dial photos - your result is impressive!

Edited by Haltec