WatchDog21

Seiko 4004 Case Back Removal and cleaned up

WatchDog21

Not sure how this one comes off and I don't want to experiment and really screw the back up.  Now I am not talking about the battery compartment, I got that, all be it a real bugger.  I want to get the movement out so that I can clean the case.  If you look at the upper left corner of the case, a red circle marks a pin hole of sorts, not sure what that is for. 

Anyway, does anybody know how this comes apart?  Is this a snap back?  A screw down back?  I do not see the typical small slot for prying off a snap back case so I am just not sure. Perhaps @andyboy or @Foxindebox  I know you guys do a lot of Seiko work.  Any help is appreciated.

39888940604_e8f7910bfe_b.jpg

Glaude

I'm no expert, but I remember seeing a video of this one (can't find it right now)

The case back is fixed and all the disassembly is done by the front (removing the crystal, bezel, gasket) and then you should see a lever to remove the stem and pop out the movement

According to this short thread : http://forums.watchuseek.com/f6/seiko-quartz-4004-new-battery-but-not-running-922085.html

WatchDog21
3 minutes ago, Glaude said:

I'm no expert, but I remember seeing a video of this one (can't find it right now)

The case back is fixed and all the disassembly is done by the front (removing the crystal, bezel, gasket) and then you should see a lever to remove the stem and pop out the movement

According to this short thread : http://forums.watchuseek.com/f6/seiko-quartz-4004-new-battery-but-not-running-922085.html

good info, thanks!

Haltec

seiko-sq-4004-quartz-case-number-4633-80

WatchDog21
29 minutes ago, Haltec said:

From this pic it would seem that this is a snap back and that the small pin hole I reference is where one would use something to pry open the back

WatchDog21
46 minutes ago, Haltec said:

6 minutes ago, Glaude said:

I found that, but I'm not sure it's the correct movement number : http://www.thewatchsite.com/files/Seiko Technical Manuals/4633A.pdf

Bingo!  There was so much crud I ended up using an exacto knife to get it to pop.  Now I get the pin hole; it is to line things up when putting the caseback back on

25730715127_329aa35521_b.jpg

Foxindebox

:clap: Got there in the end, well done. Let’s have a look at the dial then :)

WatchDog21
1 hour ago, Foxindebox said:

:clap: Got there in the end, well done. Let’s have a look at the dial then :)

Dial is in good shape.  I may just go ahead and put a new crystal in it while I have it taken apart.  

25611847117_495df3b4ec_c.jpg

Foxindebox
3 hours ago, WatchDog21 said:

Dial is in good shape.  I may just go ahead and put a new crystal in it while I have it taken apart.  

25611847117_495df3b4ec_c.jpg

Nice, looks good mate :thumbsup: 

Luxuracer
15 hours ago, WatchDog21 said:

Bingo!  There was so much crud I ended up using an exacto knife to get it to pop.  Now I get the pin hole; it is to line things up when putting the caseback back on

25730715127_329aa35521_b.jpg

You are doing great ... Now get out the soap and toothbrush!

narikaa

Throw the couple o quid at buying one of these:

s-l1600.jpg

Bitchy casebacks, just align its sharp blade at the join and give the handle a tap with a pair of heavy pliers or whatever

WatchDog21
On 3/4/2018 at 11:18, narikaa said:

Throw the couple o quid at buying one of these:

s-l1600.jpg

Bitchy casebacks, just align its sharp blade at the join and give the handle a tap with a pair of heavy pliers or whatever

Just got a whole set of 'em and yes they are much better.

Leslie

Very happy to see you got problem solved. Very happy to know there are always people helping each other. :Applause:

WatchDog21

Well for not knowing what I am doing I am kinda happy with they way it has turned out so far.  New crystal and a good cleaning.

39962208115_36648434a6_b.jpg

40856275651_13fed7d9de_b.jpg

40856274941_335082d8d9_b.jpg

39962207365_5089c74b62_b.jpg

40856276721_d15e2d08a1_b.jpg

Luxuracer
30 minutes ago, WatchDog21 said:

Well for not knowing what I am doing I am kinda happy with they way it has turned out so far.  New crystal and a good cleaning.

40856274941_335082d8d9_b.jpg

Marvelous work ... all you need to do now is ... brush and polish per gen! :p

BTW ... You take superb photos ... G.

WatchDog21
15 minutes ago, Luxuracer said:

Marvelous work ... all you need to do now is ... brush and polish per gen! :p

BTW ... You take superb photos ... G.

Looking for that gen spec sheet.. :work:,  all I can find are rep spec sheets on the brush and polish :giggle:

Thanks! :thumbsup2:

Glaude

Nice job mate ! 

There's a guy on RWI that know all about gen spec brushing... :lol: 

WatchDog21

So among all watches I got that were for parts or repair, I now have a nice TT jubilee bracelet for it

39330343910_c2356309cf_b.jpg

FunnyStarSystem

That bracelet makes this a stunner!

Have to admit when I first saw the caseback I thought someone was having a larf and put a key lock onto it...

WatchDog21
37 minutes ago, funnystarsystem said:

That bracelet makes this a stunner!

Have to admit when I first saw the caseback I thought someone was having a larf and put a key lock onto it...

:lol:  I guess the design was to make changing a battery easier but in reality it is easier to just remove the entire case back

Luxuracer
1 hour ago, WatchDog21 said:

So among all watches I got that were for parts or repair, I now have a nice TT jubilee bracelet for it

Beautiful work ... buddy.

It looks better than @GingerBubba's DJ.

Rokerite

Was worth the parts for repair bundle for the jubilee bracelet alone, takes the watch to another level. Lovely job now with icing on the cake. Well done

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

WatchDog21
11 minutes ago, Rokerite said:

Was worth the parts for repair bundle for the jubilee bracelet alone, takes the watch to another level. Lovely job now with icing on the cake. Well done

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Fortunately the watch that the bracelet came from is one that  I had all intentions of buying for just the bracelet.  Buyers description..."for parts or repair, may only need a battery?"

Battery my ass :lol:, maybe a fire extinguisher.

39332417990_7b8f347020_c.jpg

Luxuracer
15 minutes ago, WatchDog21 said:

Fortunately the watch that the bracelet came from is one that  I had all intentions of buying for just the bracelet.  Buyers description..."for parts or repair, may only need a battery?"

Battery my ass :lol:, maybe a fire extinguisher.

39332417990_7b8f347020_c.jpg

Hey ... There's nothing a little soap and a toothbrush ... can't fix!