Knifenut

Obligatory newbie hello.

Knifenut

Hey all! New guy, wanted to say hello. Also wanted to share my excitement of my first order! 

I was looking into reps around 3-4 years ago but never pulled the trigger. This year for my anniversary I bought my wife an Apple Watch, and she said I could buy a watch for my gift. After looking through some of the cheaper gens I’ve had an eye on, I decided to go back and check in on the rep scene. After chasing the rabbit down the hole for a bit I absolutely fell in love with the Tudor Pelagos. Ordered a blue one from a TD, and now awaiting my QC pics. 

I was originally looking for a no date sub, seadweller, or dssd. But after a lot of looking and consideration I decided on the Pelagos. Seeing as how the majority of my favorites are black dial, I decided on going with the blue so that I would have some spice when I inevitably do pick up a sub or two and a seadweller or two lol. I also want a few PAMs now, thanks to this forum. 

Anywho, just wanted to say hi to all the other crazies! Pics when I get my Pelagos. 

Glaude

Hi and welcome !

This will be the first, but probably not the last of your rep purchase, once you enter, you can never leave (you can end up in the gulag after a certain time though) ! :) 

GingerApple
15 minutes ago, Knifenut said:

Hey all! New guy, wanted to say hello. Also wanted to share my excitement of my first order! 

I was looking into reps around 3-4 years ago but never pulled the trigger. This year for my anniversary I bought my wife an Apple Watch, and she said I could buy a watch for my gift. After looking through some of the cheaper gens I’ve had an eye on, I decided to go back and check in on the rep scene. After chasing the rabbit down the hole for a bit I absolutely fell in love with the Tudor Pelagos. Ordered a blue one from a TD, and now awaiting my QC pics. 

I was originally looking for a no date sub, seadweller, or dssd. But after a lot of looking and consideration I decided on the Pelagos. Seeing as how the majority of my favorites are black dial, I decided on going with the blue so that I would have some spice when I inevitably do pick up a sub or two and a seadweller or two lol. I also want a few PAMs now, thanks to this forum. 

Anywho, just wanted to say hi to all the other crazies! Pics when I get my Pelagos. 

Yeah, welcome. You should get the ARF 904L sea dweller next, the Baselworld one with the Cyclops and red text. Best out of the box rep ever. Fact. 

In fact, this one:

https://puretime05.com/sea-dweller-2017-baselworld-126600-arf-1-1-best-edition-904l-ss-case-and-bracelet-a2824-v2.html

Cheap at twice the price such is the quality.

Anyway, hello!

Knifenut
10 minutes ago, GingerBubba said:

Yeah, welcome. You should get the ARF 904L sea dweller next, the Baselworld one with the Cyclops and red text. Best out of the box rep ever. Fact. 

In fact, this one:

https://puretime05.com/sea-dweller-2017-baselworld-126600-arf-1-1-best-edition-904l-ss-case-and-bracelet-a2824-v2.html

Cheap at twice the price such is the quality.

Anyway, hello!

Thanks for the recommendation! I looked at those when I was making my decisions. Ultimately, price knocked that one of my list for this purchase. I was originally looking to spend around $250, but most of the Rollies in that range are outdone by the slightly better, more expensive reps, as you pointed out. The Pelagos seems to my eye very good, and I love the titanium at the V6F price point. As I was looking for a daily watch, a bit of weight reduction is welcome! I talked with the Mrs., and she allowed a modest budget increase to get the Pelagos, but was not on board to step up to something like the ARF you mentioned.

GingerApple
5 minutes ago, Knifenut said:

Thanks for the recommendation! I looked at those when I was making my decisions. Ultimately, price knocked that one of my list for this purchase. I was originally looking to spend around $250, but most of the Rollies in that range are outdone by the slightly better, more expensive reps, as you pointed out. The Pelagos seems to my eye very good, and I love the titanium at the V6F price point. As I was looking for a daily watch, a bit of weight reduction is welcome! I talked with the Mrs., and she allowed a modest budget increase to get the Pelagos, but was not on board to step up to something like the ARF you mentioned.

Fair enough. The Pelagos does look lovely to be fair. Small tip - I'm going to say this quietly - [don't tell your missus jack shit]!!!!!

Hope the watch is great and remember, when it arrives, pics or it didn't happen!!!!

Knifenut
3 minutes ago, GingerBubba said:

Fair enough. The Pelagos does look lovely to be fair. Small tip - I'm going to say this quietly - [don't tell your missus jack shit]!!!!!

Hope the watch is great and remember, when it arrives, pics or it didn't happen!!!!

Happy wife, happy life! I do a bit of stuff under the table, but I've learned to be upfront about bigger things. This one classified as a bigger thing, especially since technically she's buying it for me! I currently only have two watches that cost more than $100, and we live somewhat frugally day to day, so nearly $400 was a big investment for us. I suppose it does help that her Apple Watch was over $300.

Pics will be had. Can't stand the waiting part now. First for the QC, than for the shipping. I imagine I'm going to be a bit antsy for the next 2-3 weeks.

GingerApple
14 minutes ago, Knifenut said:

Happy wife, happy life! I do a bit of stuff under the table, but I've learned to be upfront about bigger things. This one classified as a bigger thing, especially since technically she's buying it for me! I currently only have two watches that cost more than $100, and we live somewhat frugally day to day, so nearly $400 was a big investment for us. I suppose it does help that her Apple Watch was over $300.

Pics will be had. Can't stand the waiting part now. First for the QC, than for the shipping. I imagine I'm going to be a bit antsy for the next 2-3 weeks.

Oh man, I just hope the postal service don't kick the crap out of it for you. Because if you have to return it if it's broken on arrival (which does happen), that's an issue if you're on a tight budget - depending on where you're posting from. Where are you based?

Knifenut
7 minutes ago, GingerBubba said:

Oh man, I just hope the postal service don't kick the crap out of it for you. Because if you have to return it if it's broken on arrival (which does happen), that's an issue if you're on a tight budget - depending on where you're posting from. Where are you based?

I’m US. Best Coast baby! Here’s to hoping it comes safe and sound. 

GingerApple
2 minutes ago, Knifenut said:

I’m US. Best Coast baby! Here’s to hoping it comes safe and sound. 

Amen sister!

Knifenut

Man, waiting for QC photos is terrible haha. I am very grateful for all the stickies here, as I understood the process before making my order. If I had just ordered a watch and not known all the ins and outs I would be freaking out right now. Instead I am impatiently waiting. 

Knifenut

QC pics done, now I’m on to the shipping wait!

GingerApple
1 hour ago, Knifenut said:

QC pics done, now I’m on to the shipping wait!

I so hope you don't get a lemon for your first watch! I got a lemon for my second and it was so disheartening, it almost put me off the hobby for good. Did you go for expensive, speedy shipping or cheap airmail? The first could be with you in a few days, the second could also be a few days or just as easily a month (or occasionally more)!

Knifenut
9 hours ago, GingerBubba said:

I so hope you don't get a lemon for your first watch! I got a lemon for my second and it was so disheartening, it almost put me off the hobby for good. Did you go for expensive, speedy shipping or cheap airmail? The first could be with you in a few days, the second could also be a few days or just as easily a month (or occasionally more)!

DHL. 

Moondustesp

Welcome and enjoy a whole new world of watches

Knifenut

AAC1_DA36-63_CE-4_D0_B-8_F4_C-28_F78_E8_7_BAF6_DAD-4658-4698-9_F60-_C4_D388195_E79_C6979_C-_B639-47_A3-_B323-6478166550_940_A7089-1557-4_C4_B-_A809-_A079_FCF53_8_B4_CB3_CD-1787-4_BBC-8_AA9-4416_BFC03_DB332_EBF-63_CA-48_D5-9_AF6-5_A9_EF21_F1

GingerApple

Lovely! Happy with it?

Knifenut
21 minutes ago, GingerBubba said:

Lovely! Happy with it?

I am very satisfied. Upon seeing it in person it is amazing the quality that reps have risen to. The fit and finish on this is clearly several steps higher than my gen seiko monster. 

A few notes from actually getting it in hand:

The V6f is always pictured as more of a true blue than the ZF or gen. In person, while still a teensy bit off gen, it is much closer than pictures. Even my QC pictures have it more of a dodger blue(for the west coasters). 

I have been able to find two issues with the watch that I did not see in he QC pictures. The 12 marker is a little misaligned, which can be slightly seen in the QC, but can be seen more prominently with proper positioning. It is minuscule though, and does not bother me. The other is a little mark in the white of the triangle on the bezel. Looks like a little circular divot right at the point. With its location it looks almost intentional and I wonder if it is meant to be there. As you can see, it can not be seen in normal pictures, and I doubt it will ever be noticed, even by me, in regular wear. 

The bezel has a bit of extra play that I am sure is not there on the gen, but has a satisfying click, and centers well all the way around the dial. 

The bracelet is amazing. I have somewhat of a big old hamhock, and it fits nicely without me removing any links  which is somewhat normal for me. The clasp adjustment was easy, and made it a perfect fit for me. The titanium is very nicely finished, I love the brushed look. It also doesn’t feel “tinny” at all. Definitely feels different than Stainless, but still feels very solid for its light weight. 

All all in all I am very happy with the watch, and very glad I got it. I’m also glad I started with the Pelagos over a sub. While I will probably be getting a sub as my next rep, the tool watch aesthetic that the Pelagos brings is very much in line with my normal style, and philosophy. Which makes it fit in extremely well. 

GingerApple

You should copy and paste that into a standalone review thread, lovely write up. Thanks for sharing and I’m glad you love it, it does look a nice one. The trouble is, now you know how good Reps are, where will the madness end.....?

drifterr

Looks great mate and now I am sure you are looking at the next purchase... C'mon you know you want just one more

And that's how it starts...hahaha

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

KaiserSosa

Love the Blue Pelagos.   So crisp and clean.  Lot of dimensions to the dial.   Impressed they are using titanium bracelets at that price point.  Nice lume too~

Enjoy!

DtotheP

I just received my QC pics for a Black Bay, but now you have me fiending for a Pelagos. The case and bezel finish look excellent. Looks like I’ll be sending a TD another message tonight...