Chixisigma

Tudor Pelagos V6F | Case back issues

Chixisigma

Hi all,

Just took receipt of this piece. On arrival, case back can be rotated with light finger pressure, is not sealed and as a result 'rattles'. Trying not to get to carried away but fearing the worst. Is working I.e keeping time. Date and time can be adjusted. Can provide pics, if necessary. Feeling pretty disappointed. Community input needed, please

Chi

Kernow

Was it M2M or a TD? 

Personally, I’d wind it and make sure that you’re happy with the timekeeping over, say, 24 hours. Then I’d pop the back off and take a couple of photos so you know what movement is inside. Lastly, if all is good, I’d get a ball of sticky tape and tighten the back up and go and enjoy it. They are nice watches - I have a black Pelagos myself. 

Genius
16 minutes ago, Chixisigma said:

Hi all,

Just took receipt of this piece. On arrival, case back can be rotated with light finger pressure, is not sealed and as a result 'rattles'. Trying not to get to carried away but fearing the worst. Is working I.e keeping time. Date and time can be adjusted. Can provide pics, if necessary. Feeling pretty disappointed. Community input needed, please

Chi

Do not wear it like that, the rattle you hear is the sound of the threads being damaged! Remember this it's titanium so quite a soft meral.

Tighten it up as instructed by Kernow and you will be fine

Chixisigma
16 minutes ago, Kernow said:

Was it M2M or a TD? 

TD ( I won't say which)

Sticky tape to tighten the case back was an excellent suggestion. However, there's definitely still something rattling in there...

Likely suspect?

Chi

Genius

Good to hear it wasn't the threads rattling.  Could well be the rotor catching the caseback is there any play in it?

Genius

The fact that the back was loose suggest that the dealer heard the rattle and tried to fix it realised they couldn't do easily so just shipped as is.  Or maybe they did fix it and it came back?

Possible rotor isn't pressed on properly if it's been fixed once and came back during shipping could mean a new rotor.

Maybe screw holding rotor is just loose and the caseback issue is a coincidence, could be the TD was fixing a different issue and then didn't tighten the rotor screw or caseback properly afterwards.

Could even be both were loose from factory and it wasn't spotted during QC?

I'd start trying to tighten the rotor screw could be an easy fix

BadPickle

Take the caseback off then gently shake the watch face up maybe over a towel or similar, keeping a keen eye on anything that may fall out. 

Little tabs and screws holding the movement in place are well known for coming loose in transit. 

A pic with the back off would be helpful too

Chixisigma
2 minutes ago, Genius said:

The fact that the back was loose suggest that the dealer heard the rattle and tried to fix it realised they couldn't do easily so just shipped as is.  Or maybe they did fix it and it came back?

Possible rotor isn't pressed on properly if it's been fixed once and came back during shipping could mean a new rotor.

Maybe screw holding rotor is just loose and the caseback issue is a coincidence, could be the TD was fixing a different issue and then didn't tighten the rotor screw or caseback properly afterwards

None of that sounds particularly promising.

This should be a new watch so hope the TD hasn't had any need to be dicking about with it...

Not sure how to proceed. Wouldn't feel comfortable doing any maintenance myself at this stage. Don't have any tools outside of tiny screwdrivers and sticky tape!

Chi

Genius
17 minutes ago, Chixisigma said:

None of that sounds particularly promising.

This should be a new watch so hope the TD hasn't had any need to be dicking about with it...

Not sure how to proceed. Wouldn't feel comfortable doing any maintenance myself at this stage. Don't have any tools outside of tiny screwdrivers and sticky tape!

Chi

I wouldn't say anyone was dicking about with it just trying to make sure it reached you fully working.

Do as pickle says and take the back off and upload a photo of the movement, could be something obvious and dead easy for even a novice to sort

Joyjoyk

Sometimes the rattle comes from the rotor itself, can be a bit "noisy" even if its screwed tight.. its a relatively large piece of metal..even my gen iwc and omega has it if i listen closely. Slightly louder in the reps though

Chixisigma
On ‎14‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 18:13, Genius said:

I wouldn't say anyone was dicking about with it just trying to make sure it reached you fully working.

Do as pickle says and take the back off and upload a photo of the movement, could be something obvious and dead easy for even a novice to sort

https://s9.postimg.org/l1c9em3nz/20180314_194754.jpg

Edited by Chixisigma
To (try and) embed image

Chixisigma

Thanks so much for the input so far fellas, by the way!

Genius

Not seen a movement with Tudor look decoration plates on before, guess its the rotor touching the plates that is causing the rattle.  Don't know why they bother on closed back watches 

20180314_194754.jpg

Chixisigma
31 minutes ago, Genius said:

Not seen a movement with Tudor look decoration plates on before, guess its the rotor touching the plates that is causing the rattle.  Don't know why they bother on closed back watches 

20180314_194754.jpg

Did you have a recommendation? I’m concerned about the rotor rubbing against the case back or plates. And now that the case back has come off, is the O ring a consideration? 

So much to learn...

Chi

Genius

Just (VERY GENTLY) press the edge of the rotor, does it touch the "movement" if so its likely is catching the decoration plates on the movement as it spins basically nothing to worry about  but not really much you can do to fix unless you want to remove the plates and fit a standard ETA (or clone) rotor

Chixisigma
15 minutes ago, Genius said:

Just (VERY GENTLY) press the edge of the rotor, does it touch the "movement" if so its likely is catching the decoration plates on the movement as it spins basically nothing to worry about  but not really much you can do to fix unless you want to remove the plates and fit a standard ETA (or clone) rotor

With the case back off, I checked the rotor and rotor screw - neither seemed loose. I gave the rotor a manual spin and that's  the sound I'm hearing when I move my wrist. As you say, must be rubbing against something beneath. Sounds a bit daft really and quite loud. Like maracas. I guess I'll just have to learn to live with it. I wonder if this is a common 'problem' with V6F Pelagos' or if I've been unlucky? Thanks for all the help

Chi

Cynikal.Mindset

my v6f pelagos movement does not look remotely like that...

Genius
6 minutes ago, Cynikal.Mindset said:

my v6f pelagos movement does not look remotely like that...

Mine doesn't either......

This is the new version (in house movement on the gen) so the factories decided to put plates over the ETA clone to make it look more like the Tudor in house movement

BadPickle

Can you tell what it’s rubbing on? You could always remove the rotor and file a bit where it rubs

Cynikal.Mindset
16 minutes ago, Genius said:

Mine doesn't either......

This is the new version (in house movement on the gen) so the factories decided to put plates over the ETA clone to make it look more like the Tudor in house movement

strange, I just got mine 2 days ago...musta been old stock lol...oh well, don't need them sill decos anyways

Ellist1234

These have a miyota 9015 in them. Rotor winds one way and is also known to be a bit noisy.

Chixisigma
On ‎15‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 02:59, Cynikal.Mindset said:

strange, I just got mine 2 days ago...musta been old stock lol...oh well, don't need them sill decos anyways

With a solid case back, who would care? I certainly don't and if it's that causing the noisy rotor when I move my wrist, I'd rather have the previous movement. That being said, It's really not so terrible and the beauty of the watch more than makes up for it. I've worn it at work the last two days and haven't really noticed it

Chi