WatchDog21

A Watch Show Case Project (Project Completed)

WatchDog21

So it has finally come down to this.  I don't have enought counter space to put all the watchboxes on display so the next logical step is a large display case of some sort.  I want something that has glass so that I can see all the pretty shiney watches plus some of them are solar so they need to have the light.  I had considered a regular glass showcase but didn't want to drop $800 + on one of those.  As luck would have it, I just so happened to have this old book case outside in one of my sheds.

Project Time!  Here is what am thinking of doing besides getting it cleaned up.

I want to add an additional shelf on each level.  The shelf will be about 6" deep and will be mounted with a slightly downward angle.  Since there is 12" of height between each shelf this half shelf should fit nicely without blocking the view of the ones below.  I then want to build a wood grid to hold the individual watch pillows and cover this wood grid with some imitation leather.

Here are a couple of things I am not sure of yet. 

On the existing shelf, do I build a grid for 16 or 24 watches?  The existing shelf is 26.5" wide and 11.5" deep so 3 rows of 8 is possible.  Assuming that each watch pillow will be a max of 3"x 3" 

Do I cover the entier interior with the imitation leather?

If I can safely remove the existing shelves do I go for putting them on a roll out rail?

Let me hear your suggestions.  Please keep in mind that I am NOT the craftiest guy when it comes to wood work, so keep it simple enough that a 5 year old could do it. :giggle:

Each glass door flips up as seen in the top shelf.

40137920774_65c537cbbb_b.jpg

Luxuracer

OK ... I did it for you ... ! @WatchDog21

Now ... You only need to make it look good like this.

Watch_Dog_Cabinet.jpg

WatchDog21
3 minutes ago, Luxuracer said:

OK ... I did it for you ... ! @WatchDog21

Now ... You only need to make it look good like this.

Watch_Dog_Cabinet.jpg

You're the man!  3 Rows it is!

Glaude

Nice project, you will be able to show @Thommo82 how it's done ! ;) 

Roll out rails could be nice indeed plus there's some really nice system to do it, but take into account that they'll not be invisible if you don't use a router to hollow out some part of the wood.

As for interiors, I would go with felt instead of leather.

You could also add some led light to make all thing fancy schmancy !

WatchDog21
2 hours ago, Glaude said:

Nice project, you will be able to show @Thommo82 how it's done ! ;) 

Roll out rails could be nice indeed plus there's some really nice system to do it, but take into account that they'll not be invisible if you don't use a router to hollow out some part of the wood.

As for interiors, I would go with felt instead of leather.

You could also add some led light to make all thing fancy schmancy !

Oh yes, LED lights, easy and inexpensive!  Great suggestion!

Xpletiv

I see you own an air compressor, are the cans of gas incase this doesn't go well?

WatchDog21
On 3/17/2018 at 23:48, Xpletiv said:

I see you own an air compressor, are the cans of gas incase this doesn't go well?

:lol:, had not considered that but now that you mention it that could be an option!  That compressor is the baby.  I have a bigger one that will make its way to the work area so that I can use a finishing nail gun on some of the work.

Prep work has begun.  The current finish was pealing in places so sanding it down is a must.

40896714621_a2c33f5317_z.jpg

40854870042_be1fb53046_z.jpg

40896714171_1b0f95c8bd_z.jpg

The bottom edge (all particle board) is a bit rough.  I will sturdy up the bottom and maybe put it on some casters so that it can roll.

40854869832_7d28ede03c_z.jpg

Luxuracer

Things are moving along great.

Have consider what you going to use for watch pillows?

WatchDog21
6 hours ago, Luxuracer said:

Things are moving along great.

Have consider what you going to use for watch pillows?

I have already ordered an LED light strip for it from Amazon.  I have an idea that will let me give the LED lights a bit of a recessed look, running the whole outline of the cabinet and mounted at the back.  The LED's will be dimmable so that they are not too overpowering.

Searching the bay and Ali for watch pillows.  I found some on other sites that were  nice firm foam ones but crap, they want $10 for just 3 and I will need at least 50 to start.  I will most likely start  with some poly filled pillows from China where they can be had @ 6 for $2.00 

Debating on colors.  Cabinet in a matte black or charcoal perhaps?  Interior lined with a contrasting black or grey felt?  I will need to get a few opinions on colors, I suck at coordinating color schemes.

WatchDog21

OK, this cardboard back is headed to the bin

40306158194_38c24e5f77_c.jpg

Since particle board can't really be stained it is time to give the first coat of primer.  I did not secure the new back completely yet since once it is all painted I will run the LED lights around the back edge and it will be easier installing them without the back on.

41015167681_4dc5c50c1f_c.jpg 40306157144_fcb7972803_c.jpg

Glaude

Nice to see a project advancing... @Thommo82 ...

Luxuracer
20 minutes ago, WatchDog21 said:

40306158194_38c24e5f77_c.jpg

Wait .... I didn't know you also ride ... @WatchDog21

And you have a 03' AL*Stare Gixxer .... WTH @_@

giphy.gif

cvp3

Nice work so far.

Thommo82
1 hour ago, Glaude said:

Nice to see a project advancing... @Thommo82 ...

WatchDog21

3 coats of Killz primer and I believe it is now ready for a coat of paint; gonna do it in black and the felt will most likely be in a dark grey.  

40299773255_ca99dd1552_c.jpg

Started cutting the pieces for the grid.  A bit of experimenting but I believe I have what I need now to get them all cut.

41069336292_9ec5df004d_b.jpg

Not paying attention while in Home Depot and instead of grabbing the 2.5" pieces of poplar to continue on in the grid work I picked up the 3.5" :facepalm:  .  These things add up fast in $$ so I am ripping them down to the 2.5".  Would have returned them but the reason I did not notice the size difference at first was that they are out of the 2.5" and somebody put the 3.5" in the spot where the 2.5" normally go.

40467312254_856da518fd_c.jpg

WatchDog21

On average I only get about 30 mins each night to work on this.  Still got two more shelves worth of slots to cut.  I need to get to Home Depot and get the black paint to get this painted.  Once painted I can mount the LED's and secure the back.

39409519760_b3fe1c5803_b.jpg

Glaude

Nice progress ! 

Will they stay like that or do you plan to tilt the shelves at 45° angle ?

J!m

This is cool!

Any reason you didn't mount the grids at an angle, to make it easier to see the watches in the back of the grid? Or maybe that's the plan and I just missed that?

LEDs in there will allow maximum *bling* to occur...

WatchDog21
4 minutes ago, Glaude said:

Nice progress ! 

Will they stay like that or do you plan to tilt the shelves at 45° angle ?

Shelves are staying where they are.  Top shelf got a small split in it when I was doing some cutting for the LED's . They are particle board and it has been difficult to not damage them. 

2 minutes ago, J!m said:

This is cool!

Any reason you didn't mount the grids at an angle, to make it easier to see the watches in the back of the grid? Or maybe that's the plan and I just missed that?

LEDs in there will allow maximum *bling* to occur...

I am also bailing out on the 1/2 shelf that I was thinking of adding to each shelf section.  They would have been awkward and blocked some of the LED lights.

Concerning an angle on the actual grids I am still kicking this around.  I had an idea of maybe securing the grid to a separate board that I could just lift in and out and make that on an angle.  We'll see how motivated I can get with that idea :D

Luxuracer
1 hour ago, WatchDog21 said:

Shelves are staying where they are.  Top shelf got a small split in it when I was doing some cutting for the LED's . They are particle board and it has been difficult to not damage them. 

I am also bailing out on the 1/2 shelf that I was thinking of adding to each shelf section.  They would have been awkward and blocked some of the LED lights.

Concerning an angle on the actual grids I am still kicking this around.  I had an idea of maybe securing the grid to a separate board that I could just lift in and out and make that on an angle.  We'll see how motivated I can get with that idea :D

As right now,  You have 96 slots with that cabinet.

You should start planning for the 1/2 shelves ... maybe you can do pull-out shelves.

WatchDog21
45 minutes ago, Luxuracer said:

As right now,  You have 96 slots with that cabinet.

You should start planning for the 1/2 shelves ... maybe you can do pull-out shelves.

Or a second identical cabinet, :daffy: I have two of these!

Glaude
2 hours ago, WatchDog21 said:

:lol: You answered the same question, two different ways !

My question was the same J!m : did you plan to put the shelves at an angle so that the compartment would show the watch better, like at a 45° angle :) 

Now I have the answer, I would higly recommend this option, much more wow factor to it !

WatchDog21
15 hours ago, Glaude said:

:lol: You answered the same question, two different ways !

My question was the same J!m : did you plan to put the shelves at an angle so that the compartment would show the watch better, like at a 45° angle :) 

Now I have the answer, I would higly recommend this option, much more wow factor to it !

OK OK, I was multitasking with crap at work... blah blah blah, but you are right ( who knows what I was thinking at the moment) so let me rephrase.

The existing shelves are staying just as they are and no additional 1/2 is going to be added.  I am going to give a shot at securing the grid to a separate thin piece of wood so that I can take it in and out as well as place that "new shelf" on a bit of an angle.  

All the pieces for the grid are cut so now a trip to Home Depot for paint and a piece of wood for placing the grid on.  Its also time to get the some felt and start covering all the pieces of the grid.

40536065624_23400018d6_b.jpg

J!m

It's coming along quite nicely.

If I had that many watches, at my current average cost per piece, that cabinet would be worth just shy of $200,000.00 and my bludgeoned, lifeless body would be found in a ditch after my Wife got through with me.,

Glaude
3 hours ago, WatchDog21 said:

OK OK, I was multitasking with crap at work... blah blah blah, but you are right ( who knows what I was thinking at the moment) so let me rephrase.

The existing shelves are staying just as they are and no additional 1/2 is going to be added.  I am going to give a shot at securing the grid to a separate thin piece of wood so that I can take it in and out as well as place that "new shelf" on a bit of an angle.  

All the pieces for the grid are cut so now a trip to Home Depot for paint and a piece of wood for placing the grid on.  Its also time to get the some felt and start covering all the pieces of the grid.

Yeah yeah it's OK I figured you've been "Frenchised" by my comment thus unable to speak correct English :D 

This really comming along nicely !