WatchDog21

A Watch Show Case Project (Project Completed)

WatchDog21
32 minutes ago, Luxuracer said:

Wonder why ... he ran out of felt ... :rofl:

I covered the back supports ...... well....... umm....... just because :ohwell:.  No particular reason, perhaps a bit of a padded spot where the flat meets the support.  The ends are not going to be covered, I need to do some trimming and then hot glue the loose ends.  If I left them covered it would be too tight of a fit and they wouldn't even go in.

You already know why I ran out of felt!!

It involved a mathematical calculation :work:.  You know, THIS * THAT + THIS = SOMETHING.....  :Thinking:   oh screw it, just buy some and then come back and get more as needed. :rofl:

Xpletiv

Or...you could have just placed a holder box shelf(whatever it is) on the shelf at an angle and then measured...

Are the LEDs going at the back and facing down, I'm confused.?

WatchDog21
9 hours ago, Xpletiv said:

Or...you could have just placed a holder box shelf(whatever it is) on the shelf at an angle and then measured...

Are the LEDs going at the back and facing down, I'm confused.?

There are now plans or drawings;  I sort of just pictured in my mind what I would like to try but  I am just taking it as I go.  Some of my original plans  have been altered due to some good suggestions by others.  There are some things  that I am not going back to, at least for now. 

For now one of those things is the placement of the LEDs.  Picture if you will...  They will follow along the sides, top and bottom forming a square and facing inwards, all mounted at the back of the cabinet.  The placement was one of the first things I prepared for.  Now that things have changed I am a bit concerned on how well they do but I will wait and see.

Quite frankly I am surprised I have made it this far, I am not a crafty type of person. 

Mr Stubbs
22 hours ago, WatchDog21 said:

I covered the back supports ...... well....... umm....... just because :ohwell:.  No particular reason, perhaps a bit of a padded spot where the flat meets the support.  The ends are not going to be covered, I need to do some trimming and then hot glue the loose ends.  If I left them covered it would be too tight of a fit and they wouldn't even go in.

You already know why I ran out of felt!!

It involved a mathematical calculation :work:.  You know, THIS * THAT + THIS = SOMETHING.....  :Thinking:   oh screw it, just buy some and then come back and get more as needed. :rofl:

I am really enjoying your project.  It's coming along nicely.  It's a bit like watching the Tesla production line. :D 

JSJ
I am really enjoying your project.  It's coming along nicely.  It's a bit like watching the Tesla production line.  
Did Tesla manage to dry any paint yet?

Mr Stubbs
11 minutes ago, JSJ said:
28 minutes ago, Mr Stubbs said:
I am really enjoying your project.  It's coming along nicely.  It's a bit like watching the Tesla production line. emoji3.png 

I just read that Tesla are doing a massive (for them) 8,000 vehicle recall.  I didn't know they even sold that many.  ;)

WatchDog's  display case will be finished to a much higher standard.  :thumbsup:

WatchDog21
1 hour ago, JSJ said:
2 hours ago, Mr Stubbs said:
I am really enjoying your project.  It's coming along nicely.  It's a bit like watching the Tesla production line. emoji3.png 

I just saw that somebody at my company is now driving one!  Don't really know too much about them though.

1 hour ago, Mr Stubbs said:

I just read that Tesla are doing a massive (for them) 8,000 vehicle recall.  I didn't know they even sold that many.  ;)

WatchDog's  display case will be finished to a much higher standard.  :thumbsup:

I will be heading out of town next week for the entire week so that should provide some good curing time for the paint.  Perhaps when I get back I can put the matte finish on. 

Xpletiv

LEDs facing in, so facing towards you that is standing infront of the shelf unit?

I would think that they should be facing towards the back so that it illuminates without actually seeing the LEDs, or is that what you mean?

WatchDog21
10 hours ago, Xpletiv said:

LEDs facing in, so facing towards you that is standing infront of the shelf unit?

I would think that they should be facing towards the back so that it illuminates without actually seeing the LEDs, or is that what you mean?

Maybe this will help.  This is an LED strip with an adhesive backing.  It will stick along the sides, top and bottom facing in towards  the watches.

41317949012_0139bc18cf.jpg  41319626952_b21b7e46c3.jpg

If you look close to those red lines there is a 1/4" lip at the back edge.  This led strip will be placed behind that lip.

26491435547_5a71d83f0b.jpg

Unless I find a light and way to subtly mount it facing from the front towards the back this will be it....at least for now.

Xpletiv

So, essentially just adding ambiance and not illuminating the watches.

I am familiar with LED strips, etc., if you choose to stick them to the undersides later on to illuminate the watches, you may want to hit the side of the strip with hot glue every few inches as the double stick does not hold for ever in that position.

WatchDog21

I started putting the grid together.  Baby steps just in case I need to make any adjustments.  First step is just the outer box attached to the flat.  Hot glue to start but I am planning on nailing with some brads as well.

Once I know that the main base is ready then I will cover the remaining grid pieces and put them in place.

27525325878_f80e22a76b_b.jpg

J!m

For the felt, I know spray adhesive was mentioned. I'll go a bit deeper on that and suggest 3M "Super Trim Adhesive". Better autobody retailers will have it; maybe NAPA. Not to be confused with "Super 77"  or "Super 90" that HomeDepot has. Basically the glue you use to attach a vinyl top to a car.

I used this stuff for recovering amplifiers and speaker cabinets when I was making guitars.

(I'm not a big fan of hot melt glue)

for structural stuff, "PL" adhesive (Locktite brand). Wear gloves. To quote Elwood Blues: "This is glue... Strong stuff."

WatchDog21
12 minutes ago, J!m said:

For the felt, I know spray adhesive was mentioned. I'll go a bit deeper on that and suggest 3M "Super Trim Adhesive". Better autobody retailers will have it; maybe NAPA. Not to be confused with "Super 77"  or "Super 90" that HomeDepot has. Basically the glue you use to attach a vinyl top to a car.

I used this stuff for recovering amplifiers and speaker cabinets when I was making guitars.

(I'm not a big fan of hot melt glue)

for structural stuff, "PL" adhesive (Locktite brand). Wear gloves. To quote Elwood Blues: "This is glue... Strong stuff."

I had a full can of the Super 77 so that is what I have used and seems to have done well so far.  The hot clue is just to get things started and in place, I would not trust it for any strength or stability which is why I will take my air finishing nail gun  and use some brads to keep it all in place. :thumbsup2:

Luxuracer
24 minutes ago, WatchDog21 said:

I started putting the grid together.  Baby steps just in case I need to make any adjustments.  First step is just the outer box attached to the flat.  Hot glue to start but I am planning on nailing with some brads as well.

Once I know that the main base is ready then I will cover the remaining grid pieces and put them in place.

27525325878_f80e22a76b_b.jpg

Things are moving along nicely.

There is only one suggestion that I have since you have not covered the grids.

Right now the grids are 2 1/2 inches, if you place the watch in the square the watch face would be below the grids. It will look a lot nicer if you trim the grids down to 2 inches. That will let the watch faces stay above the grids, which show them off a lot nicer. 

d495b278fc681440b59c3ed0dd84f515--awesom

J!m

But they have to be low for clearance of the laser anti-theft system. 

We don’t want to cut the bezels off!

WatchDog21
1 hour ago, Luxuracer said:

Things are moving along nicely.

There is only one suggestion that I have since you have not covered the grids.

Right now the grids are 2 1/2 inches, if you place the watch in the square the watch face would be below the grids. It will look a lot nicer if you trim the grids down to 2 inches. That will let the watch faces stay above the grids, which show them off a lot nicer. 

Nice idea and suggestion.   The thought of ripping all the boards does not excite me but it would help them be more visible.  Watch pillows arrived today so I will place a couple in and see what I have and then evaluate my motivation level.  :giggle:

I need to be careful now, I can see then end but need to remember to not rush any step; continue to take my time a get it right the first time.

16 minutes ago, J!m said:

But they have to be low for clearance of the laser anti-theft system. 

We don’t want to cut the bezels off!

The laser system is a last line of defense.  You have to get past the alligators in the mote which circles around the house and then past the hounds! :rofl:

J!m

Well, obviously. But s boat and a good steak an easily overcome the former. 

Xpletiv

That Trim adhesive seems a tad overkill, this shall remain in a controlled environment so 77 should be fine for years if done correctly. 

Storing them outside for better illumination? then use that stuff.

But, hey, go crazy.

VMSG
10 hours ago, Luxuracer said:

Just WOW

J!m
8 hours ago, Xpletiv said:

That Trim adhesive seems a tad overkill, this shall remain in a controlled environment so 77 should be fine for years if done correctly. 

Storing them outside for better illumination? then use that stuff.

But, hey, go crazy.

Just speaking from experience. I’ve used the super 77, high-strength 90 and super trim adhesive, and on speakers and amps (which also live indoors), only the super trim kept the edges from rolling over time. 

Xpletiv

And I had a sub box for over 10 years using 77, approx 8 of those years in Dumbiduh, I mean, Florida, not even a split.

But then I've had material come off a door panel in under 5 years with 77, should have used 90 back then, this was before the Trim stuff so who knows.

Nowadays I wouldn't take the chance on anything exposed to temperature changes, straight to the best stuff as I hate having to re-do things.

Edited by Xpletiv

mskwatch

You're doing great, wish I had the time and skills to do a similar project. Keep posting!

WatchDog21

Ever since I came back from Ohio I have been swamped with work; both personal and business.  I want to get this thing done but I have had no time to spare.  I rushed to put the tray together and then noticed that I put a couple pieces on backwards. :facepalm:

The only good thing about the delay is that it is giving the paint time to cure.  I had to bring it inside and into a spare room for that curing process.  The garage had way too much humidity and it was not drying properly.  Anyway here is where it sits both literally and progress wise.  I am going to try and put the coat of matte finish on it by  the end of this weekend but spare time has not been my friend so far.

40958495925_019dd9cc6e_c.jpg

Luxuracer
20 minutes ago, WatchDog21 said:

Ever since I came back from Ohio I have been swamped with work; both personal and business.  I want to get this thing done but I have had no time to spare.  I rushed to put the tray together and then noticed that I put a couple pieces on backwards. :facepalm:

The only good thing about the delay is that it is giving the paint time to cure.  I had to bring it inside and into a spare room for that curing process.  The garage had way too much humidity and it was not drying properly.  Anyway here is where it sits both literally and progress wise.  I am going to try and put the coat of matte finish on it by  the end of this weekend but spare time has not been my friend so far.

40958495925_019dd9cc6e_c.jpg

I can't wait ... to see that thing filled up with watches !:thumbsup:

WatchDog21

Doing the bottom and working up so that as I make mistakes I hopefully have them worked out once I reach the top.

40994810605_d0178cce60_c.jpg