WatchDog21

A Watch Show Case Project (Project Completed)

WatchDog21

First coat of paint, I am liking the look so far.  I am guessing about 3 coats of paint with a light sanding in between each coat ( I read somewhere that the sanding will give you a better finish at the end :ohwell:).  Ordered some watch pillows and will hopefully pick up the fabric for the grid this weekend.

40367622295_bd9ab5a1cb_b.jpg

Luxuracer
2 hours ago, WatchDog21 said:

First coat of paint, I am liking the look so far.  I am guessing about 3 coats of paint with a light sanding in between each coat ( I read somewhere that the sanding will give you a better finish at the end :ohwell:).  Ordered some watch pillows and will hopefully pick up the fabric for the grid this weekend.

40367622295_bd9ab5a1cb_b.jpg

That looks good

7449.gif

Glaude
2 hours ago, WatchDog21 said:

Thanks to you I'm now on Solidworks building plan for my own watch cabinet ... like I have nothing else more important to do ! :D 

Yes sandpaper between the coat will give you a very clean and sharp result at the end, especially if you apply any mate or glossy finish !

WatchDog21
28 minutes ago, Glaude said:

Thanks to you I'm now on Solidworks building plan for my own watch cabinet ... like I have nothing else more important to do ! :D 

Yes sandpaper between the coat will give you a very clean and sharp result at the end, especially if you apply any mate or glossy finish !

Definitely want a matte finish.  I looked a bit and found Minwax Polycrylic but here is a comment they made concerning application.   

"...however we recommend to let the paint cure 21-30 days before applying. Regards, Minwax Customer Service"

30 DAYS!!!  I can't wait that long.  Do they not know that I am on a self imposed "no watch buying"  until this thing is done!  :rofl:

myaz

Kudos on an outstanding project.

Make sure you factor in clearance to close the cabinet door before you decide on what angle to tilt the drawer.  Shallow angles will be ruled out.

Consider adding a pair of thin cheap hinges between the drawer and the thin board at the front. This easily  secures the drawer to the thin board at the front and  gives complete control over the pitch of the drawer by varying the height of a couple vertical support rods added at the back (I can think of a couple other ways to secure the back but they get more complex, like GlideLock mechanisms for rollies).  This way, you don't need to sweat the perfect tilt angle if you change your mind later on.  Again, varying the height will effect the clearance needed to  close the cabinet door.

WatchDog21
1 hour ago, myaz said:

Kudos on an outstanding project.

Make sure you factor in clearance to close the cabinet door before you decide on what angle to tilt the drawer.  Shallow angles will be ruled out.

Consider adding a pair of thin cheap hinges between the drawer and the thin board at the front. This easily  secures the drawer to the thin board at the front and  gives complete control over the pitch of the drawer by varying the height of a couple vertical support rods added at the back (I can think of a couple other ways to secure the back but they get more complex, like GlideLock mechanisms for rollies).  This way, you don't need to sweat the perfect tilt angle if you change your mind later on.  Again, varying the height will effect the clearance needed to  close the cabinet door.

Thanks!  The hinges on the front is an excellent idea!  However, now that I think (am made to think) of it, I will have to do some testing.  I may not have enough room for the angle and still properly close the doors :facepalm: .   Even if...... it should not be too big of a deal.  The grids have not been permanently secured together.   I imagine I can make a slight alteration to shorten up the front to back lengths.

Luxuracer
34 minutes ago, WatchDog21 said:

Thanks!  The hinges on the front is an excellent idea!  However, now that I think (am made to think) of it, I will have to do some testing.  I may not have enough room for the angle and still properly close the doors :facepalm: .   Even if...... it should not be too big of a deal.  The grids have not been permanently secured together.   I imagine I can make a slight alteration to shorten up the front to back lengths.

You do not have to make any change to your grid drawers. As long as you tilt it at an angle that the back of the grid is twice the height.

Watch_Dog.jpg

WatchDog21
5 minutes ago, Luxuracer said:

You do not have to make any change to your grid drawers. As long as you tilt it at an angle that the back of the grid is twice the height.

Watch_Dog.jpg

Whew!!!  I was starting to think that I was going to have to pull a protractor and compass and do mathematical equations; math has never  been a strong point with me :lol:.  How I ever actually passed geometry in H.S. is beyond me. :ohmy:

GingerApple
1 hour ago, Luxuracer said:

Watch_Dog.jpg

I've never been prouder of you!

Luxuracer
47 minutes ago, GingerBubba said:

I've never been prouder of you!

uDlTCmJ.gif

Glaude
5 minutes ago, Luxuracer said:

uDlTCmJ.gif

Résultat de recherche d'images pour "Osbourne Cox gif"

McGilli
1 hour ago, Glaude said:

What?!?!? No cabinet building until your watch strap company is up and running!

Glaude
12 hours ago, McGilli said:

What?!?!? No cabinet building until your watch strap company is up and running!

Don't worry, I'm just planning, and straps are on the to do list also :) 

WatchDog21

OK, based on the mathematics of one of my advisers ( @Luxuracer ) :giggle:...

Grid slats are 2.5".  So I need the back to be at  5" .  I bought a 1 x 6 (which is really only 5 3/4").  I am not going to try and rip 3/4" .  Below are the flats that the grids will go on and at an angle.  Thoughts?  Concerns?  Is my math wonky?

40422840265_f86e755b5c_c.jpg 41275924632_6cd2fd9b8b_c.jpg

Going for the 3rd coat of paint today and probable going to cover at least the flats with their felt.  Got a charcoal from Wally World er I mean Walmart.

40605272044_521e72405f_c.jpg

Luxuracer
7 minutes ago, WatchDog21 said:

OK, based on the mathematics of one of my advisers ( @Luxuracer ) :giggle:...

Grid slats are 2.5".  So I need the back to be at  5" .  I bought a 1 x 6 (which is really only 5 3/4").  I am not going to try and rip 3/4" .  Below are the flats that the grids will go on and at an angle.  Thoughts?  Concerns?  Is my math wonky?

40422840265_f86e755b5c_c.jpg 41275924632_6cd2fd9b8b_c.jpg

Going for the 3rd coat of paint today and probable going to cover at least the flats with their felt.  Got a charcoal from Wally World er I mean Walmart.

'Your' math is right on point .... not wonky at all. :thumbsup:

5 in raise is the minimum that you need for it to fit ... any higher will give you a little playroom. So 5 3/4 is perfect.

At that angle and the LED light, it will look awesome! :boobies2:

S.Corbeil

Wow, wonderful project! Subscribed! And when you say that you're not that handy, I think you underestimate yourself! Project looks like it's going great, so far!

S.Corbeil

Additionally, I'm seeing 98 watch spaces so far, maybe more if you add half-shelves to each level! How many watches do have?  :Applause:

WatchDog21
1 hour ago, S.Corbeil said:

Additionally, I'm seeing 98 watch spaces so far, maybe more if you add half-shelves to each level! How many watches do have?  :Applause:

Since the main cabinet is particle board its been a bit finicky working with so I am not going for the small 1/2 shelves.  That and with the angle of the main shelves the LED would be blocked since they will be mounting and outlining the entire back square edges of the whole cabinet.  

Currently I would say I have about 65 watches that get to go in here. 

If I should run out of room, I have another identical cabinet and can make a second one :daffy:

WatchDog21

Flats and back supports for the shelf angles are covered.  I will trim up the edges and then hot glue them down.

41283498782_7eb0a79f35_b.jpg

Can't resist, must get an idea of what its going to look like. I ran out of felt so this is as far as I could go today.  Time is slipping away fast.

41283498352_75cf89a9e3_c.jpg 41283500022_41d328a1ea_c.jpg

41283499532_cd79663d24_c.jpg 41283499182_e238272a63_c.jpg

Need enough felt to cover the last flat and then all of the slats for the grid.  I will try to pick up the felt tomorrow.  

cvp3

Getting there.

Glaude
13 minutes ago, WatchDog21 said:

Flats and back supports for the shelf angles are covered.  I will trim up the edges and then hot glue them down.

Can't resist, must get an idea of what its going to look like. I ran out of felt so this is as far as I could go today.  Time is slipping away fast

Need enough felt to cover the last flat and then all of the slats for the grid.  I will try to pick up the felt tomorrow.  

Spray adhesive is ideal for felt, but hot glue should also work if not too much are applied

WatchDog21
Spray adhesive is ideal for felt, but hot glue should also work if not too much are applied
The hot glue will be just for the edges Finishing Touches. I used 3M spray adhesive to get it on there like they are now.

Sent from a Galaxy far away using Tapatalk

Luxuracer
48 minutes ago, WatchDog21 said:

Tell me why do you need to cover the back supports ... ?!? :frusty:

And why do you even have to cover both sides of the angled shelves !?!

Glaude
1 minute ago, Luxuracer said:

Tell me why do you need to cover the back supports ... ?!? :frusty:

And why do you even have to cover both sides of the angled shelves !?!

Go big or go home !

Luxuracer
23 minutes ago, Glaude said:

Go big or go home !

Wonder why ... he ran out of felt ... :rofl: