McGilli

Had money for Rep - Bought a Seiko instead!

McGilli

10 years ago I bought a Seiko SNJ009. And I've always loved it. I've been wearing it a lot lately. Partly cuz the lume is still probably the best of every watch I own - and that's important to me as I need it during the night often.

Just before Xmas 2017 I was at a local shopping mall -browsing all the watches like I used to do - and I saw a Seiko - instantly stopped me in my tracks. I mean - to my eyes - it was so beautiful. I asked for the price - they wanted $800CAD. I had just spent that much on 2 reps from our TD's so... no dice. I went back for Boxing week - and it was on sale! For $550CAD +tax. which would still be over $600. Ugh. No dice.

So.

I had a little money recently - and was going to buy a rep. a nice one. But - u know there are people here - newbies or even old timers who say "why spend big $ on a rep when you can get a nice gen?". And I was thinking about that.... So I hunted down the watch online and.... Discontinued!!!! Everywhere is out of stock practically. I did find it for about $450CAD from US but with shipping/duty etc it's just a pain in the ass. And Ebay has them for huge $ as they are hard to find... Grrrr...

So - I did find a Canadian watch store on Amazon with 100% feedback - selling a new one. $450 - no tax - no shipping charge.

So I bit the bullet and just ordered it. Here is the one I ordered

Seiko Sun059p1 (just grabbed images from Google)

33yg946.jpg

vii1io.jpg

168c605.jpg

Traditionally - I'm more of a bracelet kind of guy... So time will tell if I switch it over to metal or not....

Anyone have experience with this line of Seikos? The Prospex GMTs?

highrisedrifter

Now that is a nice watch!

I've been debating buying one myself and I do love the blue of the dial and bezel.

McGilli
27 minutes ago, highrisedrifter said:

Now that is a nice watch!

I've been debating buying one myself and I do love the blue of the dial and bezel.

Yeah and I know it's so cliche - and I see it on reviews of the watch on youtube etc - but - it looks so much nicer in person. They do have the brown dial version still available at Jomashop for s decent price... like... just over $200USD.. Then there is the black version too which is even cheaper - but - it's a flat black dial. Well, once it arrives in a few weeks- will most likely put together a review. That might help your decision making ;)

RussP

Nice.

Everybody's getting the 'blues' of late.

2018 is the year of the blue dial, me thinks.

highrisedrifter
57 minutes ago, RussP said:

Nice.

Blue has always been my favourite colour but my watch dials have always been either black or silver. Time for me to get a white dial Daytona and a blue dial DSSD.

1 hour ago, McGilli said:

Yeah and I know it's so cliche - and I see it on reviews of the watch on youtube etc - but - it looks so much nicer in person. They do have the brown dial version still available at Jomashop for s decent price... like... just over $200USD.. Then there is the black version too which is even cheaper - but - it's a flat black dial. Well, once it arrives in a few weeks- will most likely put together a review. That might help your decision making ;)

I think i'm already sold, TBH. I've spent an hour trying to find them, and I've found one at a great price that i'm about to pull the trigger on if I can't persuade my fiance to buy it for my birthday in a few weeks. ;)

Thommo82

Mate that looks really nice, I love everything about it to be honest.

I passed a local jewellery shop the other week and BAM, this Seiko started screaming at me. Out of the 50 odd watches in the window this was the one that caught my eye

416_B24_DD-_B792-4_D8_D-923_A-_A0_C77696

Seiko SRPA77K1 

As you said, pics don’t do this watch justice either. In person it is fucking beautiful.

I tried it on and instantly knew I had to have it. 

On sale for $400 down from $550 AUD

Found one on EBay for $280 AUD but it’s currently out of stock 

McGilli
1 hour ago, RussP said:

Nice.

I noticed that - even over on Ali - many of the watches now have a blue option. Can't complain though!

1 hour ago, highrisedrifter said:

think i'm already sold, TBH. I've spent an hour trying to find them, and I've found one at a great price that i'm about to pull the trigger on if I can't persuade my fiance to buy it for my birthday in a few weeks. ;)

Nice! I'm pretty excited to get it. All my watches lately are more 'dressy'. This will be a sweet more casual - outdoors watch for me. If you find out you're getting it - or pull the trigger yourself lemme know... Gotta compare notes!

25 minutes ago, Thommo82 said:

I passed a local jewellery shop the other week and BAM, this Seiko started screaming at me. Out of the 50 odd watches in the window this was the one that caught my eye

Yeah that was what I loved. After months of looking on TD websites - it was fun going to a large department store with hundreds on display - and just seeing that 'one' that makes you stop and know it's the one - or it will be.... Same for you - if you get it - lemme know. Gonna have to be some Seiko reviews coming up soon!

k3rm87
33 minutes ago, Thommo82 said:

416_B24_DD-_B792-4_D8_D-923_A-_A0_C77696

Seiko SRPA77K1 

As you said, pics don’t do this watch justice either. In person it is fucking beautiful.

I tried it on and instantly knew I had to have it. 

On sale for $400 down from $550 AUD

Found one on EBay for $280 AUD but it’s currently out of stock 

Mate funny this just came up. 

I've been in Thailand for two weeks, saw countless Seiko's including full Prospex line and some JDM models. 

This watch, SRPA77 was the one that caught my eye the most. Loved the double crown, was going to buy until I saw their asking price! 12800THB! $531aud. 

Looking at pulling the trigger on a second hand one on eBay now!

Love it

highrisedrifter
16 minutes ago, McGilli said:

I noticed that - even over on Ali - many of the watches now have a blue option. Can't complain though!

Nice! I'm pretty excited to get it. All my watches lately are more 'dressy'. This will be a sweet more casual - outdoors watch for me. If you find out you're getting it - or pull the trigger yourself lemme know... Gotta compare notes!

I may have just pulled the trigger on it anyway! :)

I'm off Scuba diving in Oahu in a week and I hope it will come in before I go.

Thommo82
19 minutes ago, k3rm87 said:

I've been in Thailand for two weeks, saw countless Seiko's including full Prospex line and some JDM models. 

This watch, SRPA77 was the one that caught my eye the most. Loved the double crown, was going to buy until I saw their asking price! 12800THB! $531aud. 

Love it

It’s so nice isn’t it! 

Cant wait to own this one 

narikaa
7 hours ago, k3rm87 said:

Love it

Never buy a Seiko in Thailand

always too strongly priced

RussP
7 hours ago, splke said:

Looks like a Citizen Eco Drive. 

Nice, but looks too much like a Citizen. 

McGilli
16 hours ago, highrisedrifter said:

I may have just pulled the trigger on it anyway! :)

I'm off Scuba diving in Oahu in a week and I hope it will come in before I go.

Can we confirm this watch takes a 24mm band?

highrisedrifter
3 hours ago, McGilli said:

Everything I've found points to it using as 24mm band. I've been looking at replacement straps and that's what i've come across.

This for instance:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Seiko-Prospex-Leather-Nylon-24mm-20mm-Watch-Band-with-Seiko-Buckle/122769220685?hash=item1c959da44d:g:IncAAOSwUn9Z7V8T

Looks like my watch is going to come in whilst I am away. Balls.

Edited by highrisedrifter
typo

splke
7 hours ago, McGilli said:

At 42mm I would have thought less 21 22? Only place that states it is amazon at 21mm

WatchDog21

Been down that road; I see a watch I like only to discover it was discontinued, then if you do find one it is over priced.  You did well!  That is a beauty.  Congrats, you won't be disappointed!

black263
On 3/18/2018 at 01:49, McGilli said:

10 years ago I bought a Seiko SNJ009. And I've always loved it. I've been wearing it a lot lately. Partly cuz the lume is still probably the best of every watch I own - and that's important to me as I need it during the night often.

Just before Xmas 2017 I was at a local shopping mall -browsing all the watches like I used to do - and I saw a Seiko - instantly stopped me in my tracks. I mean - to my eyes - it was so beautiful. I asked for the price - they wanted $800CAD. I had just spent that much on 2 reps from our TD's so... no dice. I went back for Boxing week - and it was on sale! For $550CAD +tax. which would still be over $600. Ugh. No dice.

So.

I had a little money recently - and was going to buy a rep. a nice one. But - u know there are people here - newbies or even old timers who say "why spend big $ on a rep when you can get a nice gen?". And I was thinking about that.... So I hunted down the watch online and.... Discontinued!!!! Everywhere is out of stock practically. I did find it for about $450CAD from US but with shipping/duty etc it's just a pain in the ass. And Ebay has them for huge $ as they are hard to find... Grrrr...

So - I did find a Canadian watch store on Amazon with 100% feedback - selling a new one. $450 - no tax - no shipping charge.

So I bit the bullet and just ordered it. Here is the one I ordered

Seiko Sun059p1 (just grabbed images from Google)

33yg946.jpg

vii1io.jpg

168c605.jpg

Traditionally - I'm more of a bracelet kind of guy... So time will tell if I switch it over to metal or not....

Anyone have experience with this line of Seikos? The Prospex GMTs?

SUN059P1 is on Amazon UK for £259 with free postage.

McGilli
8 hours ago, splke said:

At 42mm I would have thought less 21 22? Only place that states it is amazon at 21mm

The SUN059 is 45mm case diameter per Seiko and a few other place ;)

7 hours ago, WatchDog21 said:

Been down that road; I see a watch I like only to discover it was discontinued, then if you do find one it is over priced.  You did well!  That is a beauty.  Congrats, you won't be disappointed!

Thanks! I'm just waiting.... I hate ordering from a 3rd party on Amazon when it says they only have 1 left in stock.... Too many times I get burned by getting an email saying sorry  - we were mistaken - none left... So... Just hanging tight till I get a Shipped email!

7 hours ago, black263 said:

SUN059P1 is on Amazon UK for £259 with free postage.

Ahhhhh yes. The power of the Shite Canadian dollar! haha That works out to about $475CAD right now. There was a time I used to order from the UK and all was good in the world... 

highrisedrifter

Goddamn it. Just been told that it's out of stock and as it's discontinued, they aren't getting any more in.

McGilli
14 hours ago, highrisedrifter said:

Goddamn it. Just been told that it's out of stock and as it's discontinued, they aren't getting any more in.

That's horrible. Ugh. Sorry to hear that.

Seems that with this watch - it's hard to trust anyone that says it's in stock... The seller I bought from - states they always ship within 2 days regardless of weekends etc. On Day 3 so I'm not optimistic.

I had a few Amazon / Ebay sellers marked as backups and I looked now and a few of them are now gone/sold. Guess I should have tried harder around Xmas. There is always the brown for 1/2 the cost f the blue! 

highrisedrifter

The brown doesn't pop as much as the blue though. It's nice but I vastly prefer the blue. I've tried again with another seller. I should know within a day or so if this one actually has one in stock. Fingers  crossed.

Edited by highrisedrifter

McGilli
3 hours ago, highrisedrifter said:

The brown doesn't pop as much as the blue though. It's nice but I vastly prefer the blue. I've tried again with another seller. I should know within a day or so if this one actually has one in stock. Fingers  crossed.

Well.... If it makes you feel any better...

I have two of the blue ones already shipped to me!

Haha. I thought for sure my first seller was going to flake on me after 3 days - so I ordered from another - I figured I can cancel one if the other ships. Go out for 2 hours. Come home - and both have shipped!

So don't worry. If alllll other stock runs out - I've got you covered as a last resort :) 

highrisedrifter
7 hours ago, McGilli said:

Well.... If it makes you feel any better...

I have two of the blue ones already shipped to me!

Haha. I thought for sure my first seller was going to flake on me after 3 days - so I ordered from another - I figured I can cancel one if the other ships. Go out for 2 hours. Come home - and both have shipped!

So don't worry. If alllll other stock runs out - I've got you covered as a last resort :) 

Thanks mate. I just checked my order for an update and apparently mine is going to be delivered tomorrow! Of course, this could all be bullshit but if it does arrive then I have it for when I go Oahu next week.

McGilli
8 hours ago, highrisedrifter said:

Thanks mate. I just checked my order for an update and apparently mine is going to be delivered tomorrow! Of course, this could all be bullshit but if it does arrive then I have it for when I go Oahu next week.

Goes without saying - tomorrow will be photo day :) But now I just said it. Changes nothing. Looking forward to some photos of it.