McGilli

McGilli's $5000 Wooden PAM Review

McGilli

McGilli's $5000 Wooden PAM

PROLOGUE

From my last review:

Sadly, this might be my final review as I have no plans to acquire any more replicas. I’m not promising, but that’s the plan.”. Ok, so that wasn’t my last review afterall. I know you’re relieved. So am I. But. This isn’t quite a replica. Or a homage. Or, anything really. It’s just Special. But I saw this on DHG and thought why not. Plus - I had a new JohnG Nero strap coming that I thought would look masterful on it. Does it? Is the watch worth the cost? I’m not sure if I even know, but let’s see what you think…

INTRO

I’d treated myself to a few, in my opinion, nice replicas since joining RWG. Rolex Explorer II, PAM 177, Franck Muller Crazy Hours, Rolex Blood Dial Submariner. If you’ve followed my reviews you know how awesome they are. Awesome watches for an awesome guy. That’s what I was taught growing up, and I’ve never forgotten that. 

I wanted a watch to put all other watches to shame. Something to show how cool I am when I’m riding my bike and driving my Kia Rio. Needless to say - I had wood. On my mind. And some wrist action was in the cards. Da-dum tsh.

I found this watch at a fair price - to me. I mean I eat solid gold Corn Flakes and use freshly milked Kobe Cow's milk in my cereal. I talked to the seller. Of course I wanted to know why it was so expensive - but fairly priced? His english was nil. But - I was able to use Google Translate. All of the information in this review - is what I got from the translation of what he told me about the watch. I cleaned some of it up to make it more coherent but I think I got it all as accurate as possible.

He told me that it was created from the actual wood that was used to create the arrows for the Navajo indians when they fought Kevin Costner in Waterworld that was directed by M. Night Shamaylan. I mean - how could you not believe that? Or want that watch? I ordered immediately. Credit card limits be damned!

245don8.jpg

$5000 WOODEN PAM REVIEW PART I

UNPACKING THE WATCH:

Considering the price - you wood (sp. haha) expect some serious high quality packaging - and the seller did not disappoint! The packaging used, sets a new bar for excellence. I feel like a real millionaire just getting the chance to open this…

2rh9rg6.jpg

2dvoo54.jpg

I was extra surprised at the quality of the bubble wrap and tape. The bubble wrap - each bubble had a unicorn tear in it! It smelled like piss - but I heard that about unicorns. That they stink. Amazing…. The tape - I was told was the tape used to tape the mouth of some NYC stole that got to sleep with the fishes after putting on his cement boots… The tape was fished out of the river, then stolen from the morgue and resurfaced with sticky residue. Wow. High class!

zu118o.jpg

Finally - this plastic bag. I mean. Somehow - they had it specially made just for me!!!!! Totally personalized - I’ve never seen this before in anything I’ve ever ordered.

2wf1j06.jpg

$5000 WOODEN PAM REVIEW PART II

THE WATCH:

Wow. This is beautiful. everytime you pick it up - it gives off a ‘shiiiing’ sound like a sword being removed from its scabbard. I think this watch might have been worn by someone at King Arthur’s table… But I can’t be 100% sure… But I bet it was.

15p25i9.jpg

PHOTOS WITH BRACELET REMOVED:

I’m sorry.

This was the best part of the process and I did not take any photos! Let me explain though what happened. 

I wanted to install a 24mm custom strap and the lugs were only 22mm. So I got an exacto knife and shaved off some of the inside of the lugs. Probably shaved off about $400 worth of this wood. But then my custom JohnG Nero strap fit! I did have to get a brown felt marker and colour where I cut as it just looked weird and white after. I made it look better than it was though.

$5000 WOODEN PAM REVIEW PART III

OUTSIDE PHOTOS

9via7a.jpg

The dial is made from wood from the shield of a 3rd century warrior that fought the White Walkers in the North.

qwy1k9.jpg

The crown is made from a bullet recovered from a Yakuza shoot-out in China where Rolex Subs were being manufactured. Spooky! But then painted silver to look better.

THE STRAP

I made a review of this strap elsewhere on this site. Needless to say it’s excellent. Custom made from RWG’s own JohnG (Nero) and it’s perfect on this watch.

dnbo0z.jpg

20z1m52.jpg

fc5p2w.jpg

ly8t3.jpg

THE MARKERS AND HANDS AND DATE & REHAUT & DIAL PRINTING

9via7a.jpg

It’s all there. There is no lume. The numbers are in the correct order, which is great - because - If you read my Franck Muller Crazy Hours review you know that having numbers in order is awesome!

$5000 WOODEN PAM REVIEW PART IV

HOW DOES IT KEEP TIME?:

Yes. It does.

$5000 WOODEN PAM REVIEW PART V

HOW DOES IT LOOK?

Is a wooden watch a gimmick? Is anything a gimmick when you pay so much money for something? I mean - if you don’t care if something is a gimmick - can it ever be? If you believe a lie is the truth, is it really a lie? If you don't see animals having sex - ever - then why are there so many animals? 

Personally, I think it looks great. The watch is extremely light. Sorry - I couldn’t be bothered to put on a nice shirt or jacket. Trust me though - it does look very stylish and I quite like it. I do prefer very heavy watches, but at the same time this just looks so nice I enjoy having it.

6oeslk.jpg

nbdpfs.jpg

ngan89.jpg

Overall - I’m happy to have this. I’ve been getting back into battery operated watches lately - trying to compliment my nice higher end replica collection and this - for the price - fits well in my case. 

206h0ex.jpg

COMING SOON

I have 5 watches on order right now. I’m really looking forward to reviewing them - and I promise - the reviews will actually be worth reading - not like this trash rag of a review… This watch was only $20. Fooled you so hard. Read my other reviews - they are better.

FIN

Glaude

Come to read and not be disappointed by the review...

Left, not being disappointed by the review !

10/10 as usual buddy ! 

Badam tssss ! :animal: