deju

Noob Daytona 116520 4130 2018 Clone Review - A Noob/ARF/GEN prospective

Luxuracer

Great job ... @deju

Thanks for the review ... Looking forward to the vs gen update.

... or you can send all three watches to @Glaude and make him do the write-up for you.

Glaude
1 minute ago, Luxuracer said:

Great job ... @deju

Thanks for the review ... Looking forward to the vs gen update.

... or you can send all three watches to @Glaude and make him do the write-up for you.

I'm pretty sure he's way more competent than me on the Rolex subject, and he now has my template for reviews in hand, he'll do a cracking job on that !

And btw, as a fat fuck on youtube said : "Paid reviews 20 bucks, I don't do it for free, fuckers"

McGilli

Nice review, thanks for taking the time. About 80 photos less than I'm used to in a review but still well done. Easy to read, no long, drawn out stories and all kinds of crazy stuff ;) . Just a watch review, I liked it.

deju
15 hours ago, McGilli said:

Nice review, thanks for taking the time. About 80 photos less than I'm used to in a review but still well done. Easy to read, no long, drawn out stories and all kinds of crazy stuff ;) . Just a watch review, I liked it.

Cheers mate! means a lot as I love reading yours and @glaudes reviews :D 

Glaude

Nice use of the template mate ! :thumbsup:

LightGeek

So I’m trying to TL:DR this and the point... don’t bother with ARF, noob is good enough for most?

tamango

Great review, thank you,

Just one question: imagine that you don't care about chrono function (cause you don't really use it in other chronos you have),  don't care about movement decoration (it's a closed caseback anyway), don't plan on modding (not consider yourself able to), just want reliability, accuracy and the best OOTB watch (want an everyday carry without worrying it to be stolen, damaged or broken), which one would you choose, ARF or noob?

thanks again

drifterr
Great review, thank you,
Just one question: imagine that you don't care about chrono function (cause you don't really use it in other chronos you have),  don't care about movement decoration (it's a closed caseback anyway), don't plan on modding (not consider yourself able to), just want reliability, accuracy and the best OOTB watch (want an everyday carry without worrying it to be stolen, damaged or broken), which one would you choose, ARF or noob?
thanks again
For you it's the ARF hands down.

But the new clone movement in noob does deserve appreciation in this hobby as it's a huge step up in the rep game.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

deju
15 hours ago, LightGeek said:

So I’m trying to TL:DR this and the point... don’t bother with ARF, noob is good enough for most?

If you’re not worried about function then ARF will save you some money.  I think that we all may be harder on quality and finish with dials, noob dial is wearable I’d just like gen because ARF dial looked better finished.  Movement setting and Chrono use just feels very good on the noob it’s great :) 

11 hours ago, tamango said:

Great review, thank you,

thanks again

If you’re not fussed with Chrono then go with ARF. I didn’t notice or bother with the faux hands pinion being different to the running second. I had the 116500 ceramic ARF it was amazing!  

With ARF Daytona you need to remove the deco plate and hollow rotor, the biggest flaw is the sound it makes. Fit Gen ETA 7750 rotor and oil and it’s good to go. 

I think noob is great but personally I’d want a gen dial, I might be a tad harsh but it’s not as good as ARF. Still 100% wearable out the box! 

deju
9 hours ago, drifterr said:

For you it's the ARF hands down.

But the new clone movement in noob does deserve appreciation in this hobby as it's a huge step up in the rep game.

All together now....

“We want a Skydweller”  :conga:

Very impressive that we have now within a few months smashed not one but two goals. 

We now have 904l & we have a clone Daytona movement.

i was Just discussing with my mate how Rolex will need to step up an in 5years time these reps will be far too good. 

They really need open casebacks as a start but case design changes may help to keep a step ahead! 

drifterr
All together now....
“We want a Skydweller”  :conga:
Very impressive that we have now within a few months smashed not one but two goals. 
We now have 904l & we have a clone Daytona movement.
i was Just discussing with my mate how Rolex will need to step up an in 5years time these reps will be far too good. 
They really need open casebacks as a start but case design changes may help to keep a step ahead! 

I'd love sky dweller rep. Absolutely beautiful watch that one. Let's hope we see it later this year..

LightGeek

I think I completely missed the point and thought the ARF was more expensive :)

deju
On 04/04/2018 at 03:31, LightGeek said:

I think I completely missed the point and thought the ARF was more expensive :)

Yeah noob version is roughly $140 more. In the scale of the movement leap, pretty impressive.

highrisedrifter
On 3/31/2018 at 01:42, deju said:

If you’re not worried about function then ARF will save you some money.  I think that we all may be harder on quality and finish with dials, noob dial is wearable I’d just like gen because ARF dial looked better finished.  Movement setting and Chrono use just feels very good on the noob it’s great :) 

If you’re not fussed with Chrono then go with ARF. I didn’t notice or bother with the faux hands pinion being different to the running second. I had the 116500 ceramic ARF it was amazing!  

With ARF Daytona you need to remove the deco plate and hollow rotor, the biggest flaw is the sound it makes. Fit Gen ETA 7750 rotor and oil and it’s good to go. 

I think noob is great but personally I’d want a gen dial, I might be a tad harsh but it’s not as good as ARF. Still 100% wearable out the box! 

For me, it seems that Noob and ARF polarize people hugely. Over on RWI, there are people saying that the Noob aesthetics for the new Daytona are horrible. You seem a knowledgeable chap so i'd like to ask you that if you put both side-by-side, would the Noob seem terrible in comparison? I do like the idea of a working chrono but I do want the fit and finish to be as good as it can get. Whilst I could hold off and wait to see if ARF acquires the new movement, there's no guarantee they will, or do it in a timely manner, so holding off seems silly. The issue I have is that I keep flip-flopping between the two and being that the monetary cost isn't the major factor for me, I just can't decide which one I want. If the Noob is almost as good in fit and finish as the ARF, i'll get that. If it's way off, i'll get the ARF.

Many thanks

Edited by highrisedrifter

deju
36 minutes ago, highrisedrifter said:

For me, it seems that Noob and ARF polarize people hugely. Over on RWI, there are people saying that the Noob aesthetics for the new Daytona are horrible. You seem a knowledgeable chap so i'd like to ask you that if you put both side-by-side, would the Noob seem terrible in comparison? I do like the idea of a working chrono but I do want the fit and finish to be as good as it can get. Whilst I could hold off and wait to see if ARF acquires the new movement, there's no guarantee they will, or do it in a timely manner, so holding off seems silly. The issue I have is that I keep flip-flopping between the two and being that the monetary cost isn't the major factor for me, I just can't decide which one I want. If the Noob is almost as good in fit and finish as the ARF, i'll get that. If it's way off, i'll get the ARF.

Many thanks

ARF is amazing! IMHO the ARF dial is better but we’re all ocd rep guys so we’re all talking in the 0.10% levels. I had to point out this to my gen owning mate.  

Movement in the ARF required the crap flywheel of a rotor removed along with the deco plate, then a eta rotor to be fitted and oiled. OTB the noise it makes is unwearable. Anyone that says otherwise doesn’t have a gen Rolex. Very gritty and noisy. 

The benefit of the noob is that I can franken with a gen dial, which I think I will. It’s really hard not to want to wear it. 

Side by side the only thing the Noob needs is a gen dial and really it’s as good as it gets! 

If you’ll never use the Chrono (technically I don’t) ARF is awesome with movement mods. 

If you want a silky smooth movement and the ability to possibly franken in the future then noob. 

highrisedrifter
1 hour ago, deju said:

ARF is amazing! IMHO the ARF dial is better but we’re all ocd rep guys so we’re all talking in the 0.10% levels. I had to point out this to my gen owning mate.  

Movement in the ARF required the crap flywheel of a rotor removed along with the deco plate, then a eta rotor to be fitted and oiled. OTB the noise it makes is unwearable. Anyone that says otherwise doesn’t have a gen Rolex. Very gritty and noisy. 

The benefit of the noob is that I can franken with a gen dial, which I think I will. It’s really hard not to want to wear it. 

Side by side the only thing the Noob needs is a gen dial and really it’s as good as it gets! 

If you’ll never use the Chrono (technically I don’t) ARF is awesome with movement mods. 

If you want a silky smooth movement and the ability to possibly franken in the future then noob. 

Thank you, that was a great newbie-friendly summary. I'd love a gen dial on the Noob but I think the cost of getting that is pretty huge.

roro6263
On 30/03/2018 at 02:36, McGilli said:

I agree, many thanks for taking time. I'm near to pull the trigger for a Dayto and I'm hesitating betwween ARF and the Noob whose movement scares me having already had problems with the A7750 on my 1st Dayto!!!:angry:

By cons, I can't see no pic from this review. Postimg doesn't work. See below

lGhJYiN.png

McGilli
1 hour ago, roro6263 said:

I've seen people today saying they are all having issues seeing images from there.... Hopefully they don't pull a Photobucket ugh!

deju
1 hour ago, roro6263 said:

I agree, many thanks for taking time. I'm near to pull the trigger for a Dayto and I'm hesitating betwween ARF and the Noob whose movement scares me having already had problems with the A7750 on my 1st Dayto!!!:angry:

lGhJYiN.png

38 minutes ago, McGilli said:

I've seen people today saying they are all having issues seeing images from there.... Hopefully they don't pull a Photobucket ugh!

Only 3 images are down for me, if .org doesn’t work you just replace it with .cc

they are just doing server work, be fine in a few days.

roro6263
54 minutes ago, deju said:

Only 3 images are down for me, if .org doesn’t work you just replace it with .cc

I'll try. If that doesn't work I'll wait. Thanks

roro6263

Thanks again deju, I can download some pics one by one. It's better than nothing!:Applause:

highrisedrifter
1 hour ago, deju said:

A few more are down for me but replacing the .org with .cc works. It was the comparison shots between the Noob and the ARF I really wanted to see.

I'm not as OCD on the 1:1 rep as some folks are and whilst I can see the differences between the Noob and the ARF, I still think the Noob looks great and I think i'm going to get that one in Panda next month (limiting myself to one rep a month). I'll see if I can source a gen dial from somewhere. No idea where though but I shall do my research. Thanks again for the write-up.

Khronos

Does anyone have an idea about the price of a gen dial? Not a cheap piece of metal I guess? Where do you even buy one?

deju
24 minutes ago, highrisedrifter said:

A few more are down for me but replacing the .org with .cc works. It was the comparison shots between the Noob and the ARF I really wanted to see.

I'm not as OCD on the 1:1 rep as some folks are and whilst I can see the differences between the Noob and the ARF, I still think the Noob looks great and I think i'm going to get that one in Panda next month (limiting myself to one rep a month). I'll see if I can source a gen dial from somewhere. No idea where though but I shall do my research. Thanks again for the write-up.

The comparison wrist shots are Noob vs Gen. 

Due to scheduling neither of us were in the country at the same time for ARF vs Gen. 

deju
5 minutes ago, Khronos said:

Does anyone have an idea about the price of a gen dial? Not a cheap piece of metal I guess? Where do you even buy one?

See them on Chrono24 circa £5-600