LightGeek

Watch stopping - looking for troubleshooting

LightGeek

Got a new rep Explorer II few days ago and there have been issues. Who I got it from isn't a concern yet - unless I need to invoke warranty. Yes, I'm starting to re-buy watches I've sold over the years but I digress...

So in a nutshell, the watch is stopping when it clearly still has power reserve. I put the watch face up, fully manually wound, and set the time to 00:00 on all hands. It has since stopped 3 times. It doesn't appear to be losing time based on back of the napkin check. I'll put it on a timegrapher after I capture a few more stoppages. Also don't appear to see any slowdown visibility in other positions (crown up/down, etc.)

Aside from the date shifting position slightly (it seems) and the seconds hand near the same spot, I don't have any leads yet.

Where should I start the troubleshooting?

a8be29b271a32fd8589eae7823ca0548.jpg

LightGeek

Note, it doesn't take much to get it moving again -- just a very gentle flick.

Received a prompt reply from the TD as follows (haven't tried). It's akin to "turning it off and on again" computer troubleshooting, but I'll do it. Posting here for reference:

Try advancing the date with the crown (in the date setting position and with the shown time not near the date changeover) through two full 31 day cycles - slowly and methodically. Then similarly the GMT setting through two complete revolutions. Finally the time through a full 48 hours manually with the crown, Lastly wind it manually 30 or so revs with the crown (in the winding position - just clear of the screw down threads)

Does this revive it?

If not try pinch gripping the watch straps in one hand and (not too over vigorously) striking the watch edge into the palm of your other hand

LightGeek

Ok that seconds hand is definitely saying something about the issue... but what?

EDIT: or the minute hand... that's the third pic with it in that position.

5653827f5499cba3f7a4eed88c65323b.jpg

Daffy

Looking at it slightly on edge, can you tell if the hands are catching on each other?

GenTLe

Put it on timegrapher and check if there is some strange deviation when the second hand is in that place... I may think about some little dust bit around the movement giving that defect...

FunnyStarSystem
46 minutes ago, Daffy said:

Looking at it slightly on edge, can you tell if the hands are catching on each other?

This has happened to me a few times, it's an easy fix if so. Sometimes if you set back, forth over the spot you can feel the catch ever so slightly and it then becomes glaringly obvious.

LightGeek

Thanks folks I'll give all those a try. The second and minute hand stopped almost at those exact points again. A light tap and away they go.

What gets me is both hands are in generally the same spot, not just one catching. Again this is assuming we ignore the outlier scenarios where the hands are elsewhere. I can safely say though the watch doesn't like 24 minutes past. Here's the most recent:

10cc9f4dc84a66a28c93b726b205088f.jpg

LightGeek

Way to skew my results, watch.

59eefb29609d170262fbb531ff061cee.jpg

Daffy
51 minutes ago, LightGeek said:

Way to skew my results, watch.

59eefb29609d170262fbb531ff061cee.jpg

In this case, I second what @GenTLe said, probably some little piece of dirt in the movement.  Get out the leaf blower...

LightGeek

Set the time. Take a shower. Come out and BAM. Dammit.

fe868867002536bf0dedd14784fda458.jpg

LightGeek

Funny. It stopped WHILE on the timegrapher. Stay tuned for the revealing video...

TheTinMan

Possible one of the pinions ìs bent? Or one of the hands is slightly loose, causing it to catch randomly and stopping the movement?

LightGeek

The movie you've been waiting for...

LightGeek
The movie you've been waiting for...

At this point it's beyond my tinkering patience (unlike years ago). Contacting the TD for assistance.

Rx4Time

Have you tried reseating the movement?  My instinct is the seconds hand is touching the crystal and stopping.  It's always in about the same position it stops. 

fatarms

I'm with Teddy875, every pic and even the video seems to show an anomaly between the ~3 and ~12 second mark.  See if the second hand is catching on the crystal.

Mary Watch

take the movement out and check if will stop.  i am sure the tip of second hand touch the sapphire, so the amplitude reduce about 100. 

LightGeek
take the movement out and check if will stop.  i am sure the tip of second hand touch the sapphire, so the amplitude reduce about 100. 

Thanks everyone. Ok, I'll do that.

LightGeek

Movement de-cased through two cycles...

0a23a5cc30eee440fefcc00ac9b6b4dc.jpg

Well this is annoying...

90ee1c2642d1b6edef64208ee0ad7356.jpg

LightGeek

My watch tinkering days were supposed to be over. Now that it's out, I want to realign the date wheel too.

13e9f0947419ff84e1ecad33c661eb71.jpg

How do bend it without scratching the heck out of it.

Rodico on each side of the bend I suppose...

LightGeek

I can see it now. I'm going to end up with some weird W-bend on it afterwards.

LightGeek

6a069b189e6ff3c0efbb37e4da5929d7.jpg

FunnyStarSystem

Oh man, I'm sweating for you!

Play it like it's "Operation" :Praying:

LightGeek

Let's just say I've forgotten basic principles such as... using a dial protector.

And the wrong holder.

cf25595ce5c78ba5294b36f7197df913.jpg

LightGeek

... and remembering it has to clear the other hands