Sign in to follow this  
Mr Stubbs

Richard Mille 'Skull' Battery Replacement

Mr Stubbs

You must have opened this post by mistake. Yes, I'm talking to you.  Because  this post is about a cheap, quartz, replica of a watch that everyone absolutely flames as a gen: the infamous RM 052 skull watch.

000richard-mille_zpsmhavoem1.jpg

But:  if you own that cheap quartz replica (whether on purpose - like me, or by some horrible accident) you have surely looked at it more than once wondering: 'How exactly do I replace the battery?'

Here's how. Watch closely. My hands never leave my arms.

Look closely at the case back. The four corners have genuine hex head screws. The inner four 'screws' are only decorative.

000_RM_1656_zpslcw5bim7.jpg

Remove the corner screws with a hex key.

IMG_3220.jpg

The skull and supporting frame will slide out of the case, but only after you remove the stem assembly.  The removal point is inside the upper left hole.  I used a dull pin to release the stem.

IMG_3225.jpg

Once you remove the stem, the skull assembly is loose in the case.

IMG_3226.jpg

Flip the case over in your palm and the skull assembly drops out.   I tried my best to replicate the dusty conditions found in a Chinese sweat shop. ;)

IMG_3227.jpg

There are now four ordinary screws on the front which must be removed to access the movement and the battery.

IMG_3229.jpg

The front lifts off.

IMG_3231.jpg

And inside... surprisingly for such an inexpensive watch... is a Japanese Miyota quartz movement, and in this case, a Sony SR626SW battery. From here you can remove and replace the battery as normal

IMG_3233.jpg

Reassemble the front and back halves.

IMG_3235.jpg

This is also where you can access the strap spring bars by the way.

IMG_3237.jpg

Reinsert the stem, attach the back with the four hex screws, and you are back in the skullduggery business.  Cheers!

IMG_3238.jpg

GenTLe

Good job mate! It's similar to what you need to do to the quartz square B&R