McGilli

McGilli's Invicta 17039 Pro Diver Review Of Sorrow

McGilli

McGilli's Invicta 17039 Pro Diver Watch Review

INTRO

A great man once said “I see dead people”. A greater man said “I see Invicta watches”.

Spoiler, that greater man is me. I realized I had the special ability to see Invicta watches many years ago. I got into Invicta watches through their ‘manly’ watches. I have a couple, and I love them. Like, the ones that weigh 4-500g. Manly. But - while one of them might even be too big for Big Poppa Pump (Any old school wrestling fans out there?), the other, while huge - is still wearable - and it’s my go to choice for when the US finally invades Canada and I need a solid watch that can stand a nuclear winter. I love that watch.

And the hate towards those watches is - vivid. However, the admiration for their diver watches is quite refreshing, and something I wasn’t aware of until joining this forum. And that’s because before RWG I had never owned a diver, and I thought Rolex watches were ugly. I associated Rolex with Diver watches. That’s been detailed elsewhere, but now I appreciate them and I see the appeal even though I don’t dive. Unless I’ve been online dating. ta-dum-shu.

What all started as the journey with the Rolex Blood Dial, has ended with this. While I will one day update, for the last time the Blood Dial review (R.I.P.) - I needed a Diver that could pull off a certain bracelet. If you know my Blood Dial Rolex, you know what bracelet I’m talking about. And I thought - what brand could pull it off, there has to be something out there, something manly, yet, keeping it simple and almost elegant.

So, I went for an Invicta. 1/4 the cost of my fake Rolex from Mary (Which I still love btw) - but it’s genuine, and waterproof and… built to last?

INVICTA 17039 PRO DIVER REVIEW PART I

2 Models - The same watch

I found this watch - listed at 2 different prices on Amazon. One was about $20 less - but had the exact same specs. The more expensive listing had the letters SYB attached like 17039SYB. Some research showed that SYB is the newest model, assembled in Malaysia - but otherwise identical in function - visually - identified by having a yellow rotor instead of silver. Many people said just purchase the cheaper model - and you will receive the newer model. This is what happened to me. So, $20 saved.

WATCH ORDERED:

Brand

Invicta

Style

Series

Pro Diver

Style

Casual

Men

Case

Polished stainless steel

Dial Color

Black

Hands

Silver tone and luminous

Markers

Silver tone and luminous indices

Clasp Type

Deployment with safety

Bracelet Color

Silver

Bracelet Material

Stainless steel

Case Shape

Round

Weight (g.)

152g

Movement

Japanese automatic, (Cal. NH35A, 24 Jewels)

Crystal

Mineral

Case Diameter (mm.)

Case Thickness (mm.)

Water Resistant

200M

Calendar

Date display at 3:00 with magnifying window

Bracelet Width

19 mm

Bracelet Length

Up to 9 inches

Case Back

Exhibition screw-down

Crown

Screw-down

Material

Stainless steel

UNPACKING THE WATCH:

I ordered this from Amazon Canada. It was delivered the next day. Here comes the sexy unpacking photos (I apologize - I have been collecting parts and trying to tinker with watches apparently and since converting my bathroom counter into my workspace it’s getting to be quite the mess):

30mx2rl.jpg

The Invicta box, always distinguished by the bright yellow

98h6yr.jpg

17fp75.jpg

INVICTA 17039 PRO DIVER REVIEW PART II

IN THE NAKED

I did not want a coin edge bezel. Everyone has a coin edge dial. And I never rotate the bezel anyways so there wasn’t any need for it, nor visually, was it something I needed to have. Simply, in a side by side, for what I had in mind for this watch - this the of bezel suited me best. (Hey - it’s me! McGilli! I came back from the future to tell you this was a mistake! I actually like the coin edge better. So, just know that. I need to get back before I find out I’m gone.)

Sorry - I put all new lights in my bathroom - and now they are blowing out all of the colour. Totally overpowering the watch in the photos. But for now - here are some revealing shots.

2rws5qw.jpg

213ht9i.jpg

359i9zm.jpg

6e2715.jpg

4u9z41.jpg

15coa42.jpg

23wqxrd.jpg

25u5gt1.jpg

2uqyl1l.jpg

THE BRACELET:

I don’t want to use the Invicta bracelet. So I’m not going to resize it. Or unwrap it even, it’s coming off and going into the box. It does look nice though. I mean damn - look at that blue wrap! Classy!

fm3y87.jpg

THE BLOOD DIAL BRACELET:

This is why I bought this watch. (Hey! It’s me again! Ok, seriously - after I finished the review I realized that if you don’t know about this bracelet… then I highly recommend you read the Rolex Blood Dial Review in the Rolex Reviews section… Seriously… it will come in handy when you get to the end of this review. Back to the present future.)

2e3uc0g.jpg

TA-DA:

2lncmqv.jpg

BUT… There is something bugging me about this…. Something isn’t right….

WEIGHT:

151g is pretty good - no complaints…

ncjcx1.jpg

THE CASE:

Let’s look at this compared to the Blood Dial Rolex this is supposed to replace:

Invicta 17039

Rolex Submariner Blood Dial AAA+++ Quality

ekewlg.jpg

1z34i7r.jpg

BUT - something still isn’t right… WTF is it.. It’s starting to bug me….

INVICTA 17039 PRO DIVER REVIEW PART III

NIGHTTIME LUME SHOOTOUT!

Again, compared to my Rolex watches.

205sgmq.jpg

2iqn2uf.jpg

WTF IS GOING ON!?!?! Did they forget to lume the hour markers?! 

It actually - looks much nicer in the photo than real life. The hour dots are just faint little dots…. The hands glow like Mother Fuqrs and are great but… I don’t like it compared to what I had… If it looked like this in real life I wouldn’t mind… (PS. Or would I…)

Ahhhh… what I had…. Sure miss that Sunken R…. You know that song by Poison? Don’t know what you’ve got ’till it’s gone? Yeah.. .that comes to mind…

INVICTA 17039 PRO DIVER REVIEW PART IV

HOW DOES IT KEEP TIME?:

I just returned the watch to Amazon so who fuqn cares!! I’m done with this watch! Surprise twist! Oooooh snap! Right in the middle of a review I just pulled the rug out from all you! Sorry, had to be done. I’m sure I’ll explain why in the future…

INVICTA 17039 PRO DIVER REVIEW PART V

THE FUTURE

Again - I returned the watch to Amazon. Why did I return it?

Obviously - this whole situation was the equivalent of being married to the best woman (or partner however you swing) ever - you love them so much - and then tragically - they sit on the toilet, you didn’t put the toilet seat down, they fall in, accidentally flush and all their internal organs gets sucked down the plumbing and you’re left with a hollow corpse to stair at. And use. Still kind of pretty… maybe even still a little fun… but just not working properly any more. And soon it’s just going to start to stink. That’s what happened to my Blood Dial Rolex. It died. 

I think I’m auditioning for a replacement. This watch was just a rebound watch.

This Invicta I thought could replace her. And she can’t. She’s a bit smaller. Even the hands etc are smaller. The lume isn’t as good. I just….. can’t do it.  I have returned this to Amazon and will find a new body for the skull bracelet….  Something more manly.

The Invicta doesn’t look manly! I want her to look manly. This isn’t it.

Please post photos of manly women to make me feel better. Thank you.

I’m serious. Pictures of manly women would be great. It will make me feel better.

FIN

Thommo82

B4_BD423_F-_B4_EB-46_A6-_A74_C-_F4_ECBB8

tabuktime
2 hours ago, Thommo82 said:

B4_BD423_F-_B4_EB-46_A6-_A74_C-_F4_ECBB8

FFS mate! When did you go to the gym?

Or have you just been moving heavier stuff this week?

Glaude

As always nice crazy review !

This review could be resumed as : When the box is nicer than the watch inside it !

Oh and : 

Résultat de recherche d'images pour "man girl"

myaz

Manly looking women to console the long trail of hearts broken by Invicta.

broken_heart.png

Feel better now?