McGilli

McGilli's Seiko SUN059 Review

McGilli

McGilli's Seiko SUN059 Review

INTRO

Goddamn it.

This will be the last review for a watch I ever do. I have too many watches now,  and sometimes I think I buy watches - just so I can review them. So let’s see if we can make this one count. Cuz I know this will be the last. I think I peaked a few reviews ago. I’m just stalling. You see, I have to do this review. I have no choice really. When I reviewed my Carnival tritium watches, I posted the following photo in it:

2i8i4h1.jpg

And the shit - hit the fan. I have had nearly 250 PM’s from people asking me “What is that Seiko in the Carnival review?. It looks awesome, so amazing, you are so lucky to have it, will you sell it to me, is that the watch you jack-wind with - my sister wants to know and she’s over 18 and on Tinder username 69SnowBaller?” Jeeeeeezuz. Is this how people feel when they have to have sex with their partner? Not because they want to, but out of loyalty. Or after they get paid? Horrible. Wish I was getting paid. But alas I’m not getting paid so let’s all suffer through this together. But I’ll suffer more. Just like my God did. Neo. From the Matrix.

THE SHORT AND BITTER TASTE OF FRUSTRATION
Do you remember how I started off my Franck Mueller review with the lume shot? I did that because the watch was so messed up (In a way that is unique and I love) that showing a lume shot was the best way to show how maddening that watch would be in the middle of the night if you needed to see what time it was. And while I have 100% switched to Tritium watches for nighttime now - I still had really, really high hopes for this new Seiko. I fell in lust with this watch at a department store four months ago, just before Christmas 2017. I finally made my dream come true. I bought the girl of the my dreams. The best way to start any lasting relationship.

So I’m starting this review with a lume shot because I don’t know if I’m an idiot, or this watch has a severe design flaw. Really, I can’t tell - but it is one or the other. Put your vote down in the comments. I’m probably an idiot for asking people to vote if I’m an idiot.

LUME TEST 101

Quickly now, you’re kidnapped, then wake up locked in a dark room and you look at the watch - this is what you see - what time is it in this photo?

bj62p5.jpg

If you said 5:53 then you are wrong and as smart as me, for better or worse. I have an IQ of 128 which isn’t too bad for smartz. 5:53 is what I see when I look at this. Goddamn watch has two hands that are practically the same length and size and yet mean something totally different and I can’t ever figure it out in the dark without thinking, and looking really, really hard. Like… really hard I say. She says that too. This could also be because I am used to watches that have illuminated second hands.

Anyways it’s 10:36 in the photo.

SEIKO SUN059 REVIEW PART I

WATCH ORDERED:

This watch has been discontinued by Seiko. Probably because they figured out they messed up the hour and GMT hands so badly they needed to cut their losses. Sorry. This is why I’m bad in relationships. I find one fault, and it overpowers all the happy times and flowers and rainbows, and it all goes sour and tastes like that taste you have in your mouth the morning after… (After what - that is up to you but you know that taste). 

Seiko Prospex Kinetic GMT 100M SUN059P1 Men's Watch

Features:

Stainless Steel Case

Black Leather Strap

Kinetic Movement

Calibre: 5M85

Hardlex Crystal

Blue Dial

Luminous Hands And Markers

Power Reserve

Dual Time

GMT Hand With Easy Hour Hand Adjustment Function

Rotating Bezel

Date Display

See Through Case Back

Screw Down Crown

Buckle Clasp

100M Water Resistance

Approximate Case Diameter: 45.6mm

Approximate Case Thickness: 15mm

UNPACKING THE WATCH:

People ask me “Why do you show the stupid assed photos of you opening a box and bubble wrap and shit like that?”. Because I care. I paid for the box and wrap. I don’t skimp on the details in my reviews. I mean, when you go to McDonalds - they don’t just give you a burger on a tray. It’s in a wrapper. You enjoy unwrapping that. Getting to the prize inside.

Nothing special in the packaging. Although it’s been a long time since I opened a ‘genuine’ watch… actually no it isn’t. Sorry. See my Carnival watch review from last month. I paid a lot for this watch so I’m trying to make it ‘worth more’ than it might actually be. I can only imagine what it’s like to open your very own genuine Rolex box… Ugh, I have to go change shorts now. That was a hot thought.

f3xjsk.jpg

iwp3c3.jpg

dywuc3.jpg

2wclb1j.jpg

303cwlk.jpg

SEIKO SUN059 REVIEW PART II

I’ve done something a little different for this review. That is, I have actually worn the watch. No, seriously. I have been wearing it every single day, all day (except bedtime) for over two weeks (Actually it’s now 3 weeks - I started this review 2 weeks ago). That’s unusual for me. And I’m not ‘trying’ to wear it - I’m just being pulled in that direction. So, I know this review will be favourable - except for the hands issue I already talked about.

This watch comes with a blue nylon and black calf-skin strap. It appears to be quite solid and I think it could stand up to some good abuse. It fits me surprising well - in a sporty way. I really prefer metal bracelets that are a touch loose. I love the feeling of the weight of a watch that slides a bit. This strap would be much better suited to outdoor activities. And, for me - that’s not a bad thing. I will keep the strap. And I will also change the strap to a bracelet. 

303afj4.jpg

20gjgaq.jpg

10z09z9.jpg

xkn6nn.jpg

RESIZING THE BRACELET:

I ordered this bracelet from Amazon. It was cheap. I just wanted to see how it felt. Damn, this thing is huge. It’s 24mm wide its entire length. Compared to the bracelet I’ve been wearing lately on my Carnival - damn! But it is so, so comfortable. I really like this.

309r0py.jpg

I want to say though that this bracelet has been fantastic. Comfortable. No hair pulling. Feels as heavy as a pregnant hog. I really like it.

rk4rr7.jpg

THE CLASP AND WEIGHT:

The nylon strap is your usual pin connector thing with holes. Whatever you call it - I’ve been using them since I was like 3 years old. 

111ml5e.jpg

The metal bracelet is… like a metal bracelet connector. Seriously I just don’t care what they are called. I see it does have the option for fine tuning it though which people seem to like from reading reviews of different metal bracelets. I had to remove 3 links to get it to fit my 7.25” wrists. I then also adjusted the pin by 1 for just the perfect fit for me. Nice and tight (That’s what she said) but not too loose (That’s what he said).

2e2gw3c.jpg

With the metal bracelet the weight is:

21o0qck.jpg

SEIKO SUN059 REVIEW PART III

THE CASE AND BEZEL:

Case is solid, gives off a manly man feeling at 44mm - or 45mm. Polished steel on the sides and between the lugs, yet slightly buffed on the top of the lugs. The bezel is really, really great. It was honestly the reason I fell in love with this watch so long ago. I love the details on it, the compass markings are appealing to me. And the colour. So nice. It’s not purple, but more of an ocean blue. It catches the light at all times, and just catches your eye. At all times.

The left side of the case is empty.

fm7zh4.jpg

The right side of the case has the crown at 3 o’clock, and the power reserve button at 2pm. The crown has nice deep cutouts. It’s easy to grab and unscrew. Also, the opposite, it’s easy to screw (that’s what she said).

23r5rva.jpg

2ufx08o.jpg

THE ENGINE AND WINDING - KINETIC:

This is my first Kinetic watch. Seems simple enough. It’s a rechargeable quartz movement. It’s recharged by a rotor acting like an automatic. Pretty cool. I like it. Rotor spins nicely, although it is pretty noisy. 

2eqe4rb.jpg

2niw2tz.jpg

THE POWER RESERVE:

Charging it. I wore this every day for over 2 weeks, and I could not get it to show more than 1 month of charge in reserve. Finally, I lay down to watch a movie and for 1 hour, I sat there shaking the watch in my hand and charging it. Yes, that ‘movie’ was Japanese Housewives Get Bored’.Then it finally showed 6 months of charge and it’s stayed like that ever since. To check the charge level press the reserve button, and if the second hand advances 10 seconds quickly then that’s a week of charge. 20 seconds is 1 month of charge, and 30 seconds in 6 months of charge.

rirjbd.jpg

SEIKO SUN059 REVIEW PART IV

THE DIAL/HANDS/MARKERS:

The dial is the show stealer.  The colour. It’s radiant. It’s eye catching. It’s lovely. I really think this might be one of the main reasons I have been wearing this every single day since I bought it - and of course why it caught my eye when I first saw it in a store. The colour just connects with me. 

311p05u.jpg

259eaaf.jpg

And while I don’t consider the dial purple, it does go really well with purple and some good old Scottish patriotism

2e5kyhg.jpg

The hands. Well. What can I say. in the light, I think they are handsome looking hands. I love how the minute hand has the counter weight on the back of it for balance - in black - to hide it. IMO - the gold GMT hand should be red or something else. Gold is a weird choice I think for this watch. 

nbfcsy.jpg

The markers. Ok, they do the job. I like them. But - every single one of these watches I’ve seen has what I consider a flaw? The 6 o’clock marker doesn’t match the rehaut. Another RWG member also bought one of these at the same time - and in his photos - the exact same issue. Weird, and too bad. Very un-Seiko in my opinion. Shame be upon the QC department there.

jtay6s.jpg

DATE WINDOW:

I do prefer a cyclops on my watches. However, not going to complain about it. It is easy to read although quite small.

nzlm53.jpg

33ng20g.jpg

LUME TEST 202

Quick, what time does this say it is? Seriously,  I can’t tell so help me please….

2h6yt1u.jpg

SEIKO SUN059 REVIEW PART V

THE CANADIAN WENDIGO

If you’ve ever lived in Canada, you know of the Canadian Wendigo. We learn about it in grade school, and it’s very popular with parents for scaring their children into behaving when they are little: “Eat your broccoli billy, lest the Wendigo eat them for you after he be done snacking on yer tiny bones”. Washington USA has Bigfoot, Tibet has the Yeti, Vietnam has Charlie and we have the Canadian Wendigo.

I’ve mocked a photo together of what it looks like. 

552jbc.jpg

TESTING THE COMPASS FEATURE

Where I live is like a checkerboard. the road system is just a box of squares. You cannot get lost, but I tried the best I could by spinning around a few times first. I then turned and faced South. Then, holding the watch up flat, I rotated the bezel so the S marker was pointing out away from me. Then, I checked, and the North on the bezel was pointing North! Like, it totally works! Pretty cool, but for 2018 I expect they would have worked this out already so I’m not that impressed really. 

2n870o.jpg

THE REAL COMPASS

Here's how it works:

et5ldx.jpg

SEIKO SUN059 REVIEW PART VI

BLACKLIGHT

Here we go! My favourite part. Your favourite part. I turn on the blacklight and look for any clues that this watch was ever used in a murder or anything else. Cuz since the Blood Dial, a lot of freaky shit has gone down around here. I know many people think it’s all fake, but I can honestly say I have PM’d some people to tell them flat out - the bad shit that happened once I got the Blood Dial is all real. So, I’m always wary of other signs.

24vktmt.jpg

And with a pubic hair from a cat on it to show what it looks like when there actually is a pube in there

2mmfupu.jpg

And a wider shot - sorry, kind of blurry. Too much caffeine.

i40idi.jpg

IN CLOSING

I love wearing this watch. In fact, this is the watch that made me realize that I need more larger watches. 43mm, 44mm are what I want. I have many that are smaller, time to go bigger. I have some outfits that really make this watch work. Blue suit especially. The hands let me down (in the dark) as well as the misalignment of the 6 o’clock marker.  Still, I’ve been leaning more to quartz watches and this has, and will continue to get much wrist time with them there Japanese movies.

Great as a sports watch, and great for a night out in a suit.

11axwz8.jpg

Junior88

Damn near pissed myself reading your intro, McGilli. 

Nice writeup.  And yeah, I read 10:36 on the watch in the lume shot :p

By the way, it better fucking NOT be the last review you do. From one Canuck to another. 

Luxuracer

It's beautiful ... just like reading poetry .... @McGilli

YorL_f-maxage-0_s-200x150.gif

BTW ... WTF is the compass function? ... So if you point the bezel to South ... then you turn around 180° ... we will find North ?!?

McGilli
55 minutes ago, 88juniorfan said:

By the way, it better fucking NOT be the last review you do. From one Canuck to another. 

Every review is my last review and I'm sticking to it! Hahaha!

11 minutes ago, Luxuracer said:

BTW ... WTF is the compass function? ... So if you point the bezel to South ... then you turn around 180° ... we will find North ?!?

Perfect. I should have just asked you to write that part for me... Ok but seriously - this reminds me that I forgot to put in the page from the manual - that explains how to use the Compass. It's actually a real thing. I've put it up into the review - but here it is:

et5ldx.jpg

Glaude

Résultat de recherche d'images pour "fantastic gif"

And another great review from my boy McGilli (The discovery of this individual is to put on the credit of the wild Le Thommo @Thommo82)

Thommo82

Ahh @McGilli you old sod you

You certainly have your own brand of codswollop don’t you?

10 points on the review

-10 points for making me add another bloody watch to the list and helping me get ever closer to the realisation that I may never own my own home because collecting watches will eventually send me bankrupt 

Love your work 

brang1

Fantastic review, well done sir and a brilliant acquisition 

brang1

and as Thommo remarked, another bloody one on the list

semperfi55

Brilliant review sir, enjoyed reading it! Now I want to get a Seiko Kinetic too.

Del

Brilliant stuff! :lol:   Very entertaining read - thanks for posting this.  I actually laughed out loud in the office when I read this...

14 hours ago, McGilli said:

Nice and tight (That’s what she said) but not too loose (That’s what he said).

Oh, and the watch looks great btw.  I like that a lot! :thumbsup2: 

WatchDog21

Great review!  It's a Seiko, how could I not like it :lol:

Don't let this be your last!

McGilli

@GlaudeThanks buddy, always fun to put these together! More fun than actually wearing the watch I think some times ;)

@Thommo82So true, some days I don't want to open threads here (But I do anyways) cuz it might just cost me more $! 

@brang1First thing I grabbed when I got out of bed this morning was this Seiko again, out of my case of watches. Really like it!

@semperfi55Yeah, the simplicity of quartz, that never needs a battery change! Pretty cool and a great combo of Quartz and Automatic!

@DelThanks! Glad you enjoyed it. I actually laugh when I create these reviews, so always hppy to hear some of that passes on around the world :)

@WatchDog21Like I always say (these days) : Every new review I do, is my last. SO, definately my last review, until I decide to do another :) 

Thommo82

Looking forward to reading your last review 

McGilli
On 2018-04-18 at 16:44, Luxuracer said:

It's beautiful ... just like reading poetry .... @McGilli

YorL_f-maxage-0_s-200x150.gif

I just wanted to quote this - because every time I read what you wrote there - it makes me laugh out loud...

Seriously - you need to start reviewing my reviews. It would be funny shit.

shelby1501

Great review! Thanks for sharing! 

Can we get a link to that bracelet please? 

And btw it's 15:43 on that lume shot :)

McGilli
On 2018-04-20 at 23:26, shelby1501 said:

Great review! Thanks for sharing! 

Can we get a link to that bracelet please? 

And btw it's 15:43 on that lume shot :)

No prob - if it doesn't show up right - the brand is BEWISH and they have a lot of bracelets available...

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B078Y53MMQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thommo82
29 minutes ago, McGilli said:

No prob - if it doesn't show up right - the brand is BEWISH and they have a lot of bracelets available...

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B078Y53MMQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This looks like the same bracelet I ordered from eBay for my Haigh & Hastings Diver. 

Looks great on the wrist 

F9245105-82_DE-4137-_ADF7-_E3_B8_FFF6547

McGilli
2 minutes ago, Thommo82 said:

This looks like the same bracelet I ordered from eBay for my Haigh & Hastings Diver. 

Looks great on the wrist 

F9245105-82_DE-4137-_ADF7-_E3_B8_FFF6547

Totally looks like it. I still really loving the bracelet on this watch - looks sweet on 44+mm watches 4 sure. When (at least on Amazon Canada) I searched BEWISH for their watch bracelets they had a lot of really nice ones.... 

Thommo82
2 minutes ago, McGilli said:

Totally looks like it. I still really loving the bracelet on this watch - looks sweet on 44+mm watches 4 sure. When (at least on Amazon Canada) I searched BEWISH for their watch bracelets they had a lot of really nice ones.... 

Paid $16.95 AUD on ebay

winning