stuntd97

hello- a few questions to start off my journey

stuntd97

Hi everyone.  Very happy to have found this site.  I will definitely be learning a lot.  Lots of great pics of amazing watches i have seen already.  I made the mistake of purchasing a replica Breitling  Navitimer recently.  I swapped out the SS band for the blue silicon one it has on for more everyday use, since the SS was so heavy.  I wanted to get some opinions from everyone here regarding the quality of the watch.  Unfortunately, the watch came and the hour sub (at 6 position) would advance on its own, and now the whole watch doesnt run except for a few minutes after starting the automatic movement (supposedly Asia Valjoux 7750).  Even invested in a watch winder for it, and have had no luck in getting it running.  Even after getting it started, it even stops while i am wearing it some of the time.  Would be interested in knowing what thoughts there are regarding if it is worth trying fix (and where/how to go about doing this) or just chalk it up to a learning mistake and move on.  Hope to be able to get some of the great quality reps seen here on day.  

2d2f5s4.jpg

10xsz61.jpg

wiu4it.jpg

wlvrmg.jpg

2il22xv.jpg

Glaude
11 minutes ago, stuntd97 said:

Hi everyone.  Very happy to have found this site.  I will definitely be learning a lot.  Lots of great pics of amazing watches i have seen already.  I made the mistake of purchasing a replica Breitling  Navitimer recently.  I swapped out the SS band for the blue silicon one it has on for more everyday use, since the SS was so heavy.  I wanted to get some opinions from everyone here regarding the quality of the watch.  Unfortunately, the watch came and the hour sub (at 6 position) would advance on its own, and now the whole watch doesnt run except for a few minutes after starting the automatic movement (supposedly Asia Valjoux 7750).  Even invested in a watch winder for it, and have had no luck in getting it running.  Even after getting it started, it even stops while i am wearing it some of the time.  Would be interested in knowing what thoughts there are regarding if it is worth trying fix (and where/how to go about doing this) or just chalk it up to a learning mistake and move on.  Hope to be able to get some of the great quality reps seen here on day.  

Hi and welcome in here !

I'll try to do my best to answer your questions, other people will probably do the same :

1. Why do you call that a mistake ? The watch look absolutely fine to me, how much did you pay for it ?
  2. You seem to have indeed a small issue regarding the movement, the fact that this hand move constantly is kind of weird, so I'll use my super power and call superman to give you clues about what it could be : @GenTLe
  3.  That watch winder wasn't very useful for this issue since you have either a power reserve issue or another issue that has nothing to do with power reserve and so the winder can't change that.
  4.  Could you open the caseback and post a picture of it ? If you don't have any tool, make a ball of duct tape the size of a tennis ball with the sticky side of the tape out and open it by pressing on the case back and rotating.
  5. Try to find out if you have a watchsmith nearby and ask him if he can work on rep movement (especially A7750).

Stewart

This sounds very similar to my first experience with reps. I also bought a Navitimer rep and it would only run for a few minutes before it quit. After three years in this hobby my suggestion would be not to do anything until you have spent several weeks reading the various information on this site and/or similar sites like RWI. 

Ultimately you will need to decide the best course of action. There are reputable watch makers listed on this site who could replace the movement.  The 7750 movement is complex and it would probably be cheaper to replace than to fix. If it were me I would start looking for a new watch...after doing all the research possible on the watch I am buying.  

I sent my Navitimer to a now banned ex-member for repair and he returned an Ali express battery operated Navitimer. Ironically I gave it to my dad and he loves it and has kept perfect time for years. If you have questions feel free to PM.

Also, you might look through the member sales section. Here you can find great deals and skip the overseas shipping headaches. Good luck!

myaz

Sorry that you have a problem with a recent purchase. You have a movement problem and as per Stewart, few people service 7750s due to their complexity. You may or may not have a serious problem. I'd find someone who services these and have them take a look. Then decide if it's worth fixing rather than replacing the whole movement.

Many here have had great luck with 7750s. I use the word luck because they tend to have a higher failure rate.

stuntd97
11 hours ago, Glaude said:

Hi and welcome in here !

I'll try to do my best to answer your questions, other people will probably do the same :

1. Why do you call that a mistake ? The watch look absolutely fine to me, how much did you pay for it ?
  2. You seem to have indeed a small issue regarding the movement, the fact that this hand move constantly is kind of weird, so I'll use my super power and call superman to give you clues about what it could be : @GenTLe
  3.  That watch winder wasn't very useful for this issue since you have either a power reserve issue or another issue that has nothing to do with power reserve and so the winder can't change that.
  4.  Could you open the caseback and post a picture of it ? If you don't have any tool, make a ball of duct tape the size of a tennis ball with the sticky side of the tape out and open it by pressing on the case back and rotating.
  5. Try to find out if you have a watchsmith nearby and ask him if he can work on rep movement (especially A7750).

Thanks for the comments! i only call it a mistake since the watch only ran for about 2 months before the current state it is in, where it just sits as a nice paperweight.  Kind of bummed about that because of the time i put in trying to make sure the watch looked good (which i thought it did).  Although reading here, seems that the date window is not accurate , but that seems as though it is a common problem on this model.  i am a little glad i didn't get the blue face version- I like the genuine in blue, but i wasn't able to convince myself the replica color matched and reading seems that would have been an issue as well.  Learning so much here it is great.  i bought it from TS watches for ~$350 i think.  If it was still working, not sure if that would have been a reasonable price.   Appreciate the call for help!  will wait to see what advice i get.  i dont have tools for opening the case back.  will try the duct tape and see if i can get it open and post a pic.  Thanks for the tip.

stuntd97
11 hours ago, Stewart said:

This sounds very similar to my first experience with reps. I also bought a Navitimer rep and it would only run for a few minutes before it quit. After three years in this hobby my suggestion would be not to do anything until you have spent several weeks reading the various information on this site and/or similar sites like RWI. 

Ultimately you will need to decide the best course of action. There are reputable watch makers listed on this site who could replace the movement.  The 7750 movement is complex and it would probably be cheaper to replace than to fix. If it were me I would start looking for a new watch...after doing all the research possible on the watch I am buying.  

I sent my Navitimer to a now banned ex-member for repair and he returned an Ali express battery operated Navitimer. Ironically I gave it to my dad and he loves it and has kept perfect time for years. If you have questions feel free to PM.

Also, you might look through the member sales section. Here you can find great deals and skip the overseas shipping headaches. Good luck!

thanks for the tips Stewart.   Sorry to hear about your similar experience.  I will definitely start/keep reading.  learning a lot, and will help me figure out hopefully a lot more for the next watch i try to purchase. when I'm ready, will give the member sales sections a look.  

10 hours ago, myaz said:

Sorry that you have a problem with a recent purchase. You have a movement problem and as per Stewart, few people service 7750s due to their complexity. You may or may not have a serious problem. I'd find someone who services these and have them take a look. Then decide if it's worth fixing rather than replacing the whole movement.

Many here have had great luck with 7750s. I use the word luck because they tend to have a higher failure rate.

Thanks myaz.  i didn't know they had a higher failure rate.  

Glaude
1 hour ago, stuntd97 said:

Thanks for the comments! i only call it a mistake since the watch only ran for about 2 months before the current state it is in, where it just sits as a nice paperweight.  Kind of bummed about that because of the time i put in trying to make sure the watch looked good (which i thought it did).  Although reading here, seems that the date window is not accurate , but that seems as though it is a common problem on this model.  i am a little glad i didn't get the blue face version- I like the genuine in blue, but i wasn't able to convince myself the replica color matched and reading seems that would have been an issue as well.  Learning so much here it is great.  i bought it from TS watches for ~$350 i think.  If it was still working, not sure if that would have been a reasonable price.   Appreciate the call for help!  will wait to see what advice i get.  i dont have tools for opening the case back.  will try the duct tape and see if i can get it open and post a pic.  Thanks for the tip.

My first rep was a Navitimer A23322, still working mighty fine.

I had a problem with it, at some point it would stop working, with the second hand always at the same place, a bit of demagnetising later and the tiny dust that must have been stuck in the gears was out, running fine now.

stuntd97

Thanks Gluade.  still trying to get the back off.  will post pics when i am able to do that.  seems like it is on pretty tight, which if it were working properly, I would be very happy with.  

The watch winder i got since i dont wear my watches all day.  i take them off at night, so when i noticed it was stopping, i hoped that would fix it, which of course it did not.  Also like you mentioned, sitting a while should be fine, so may it is a power reserve issue.  I am hoping that if i can get the back open, may get lucky and there is a bit of dust sticking the gears like you described. Let's see how it goes, but seeming like i will be out the money on this one.  Kind of a bummer since i liked the design. 

Edited by stuntd97

GenTLe
On 4/30/2018 at 03:51, Glaude said:

You seem to have indeed a small issue regarding the movement, the fact that this hand move constantly is kind of weird, so I'll use my super power and call superman to give you clues about what it could be : @GenTLe

Navitimer uses a modified version of the 7750 (if it's the 3/6/9 one), I doubt anyone will touch that movement... I'd do only if one of mine would die and therefore, considering the watch already lost, why not trying?

On 4/30/2018 at 04:21, Stewart said:

I sent my Navitimer to a now banned ex-member for repair and he returned an Ali express battery operated Navitimer.

WHAT??? :blink:

Stewart
On 5/3/2018 at 11:31, GenTLe said:

Navitimer uses a modified version of the 7750 (if it's the 3/6/9 one), I doubt anyone will touch that movement... I'd do only if one of mine would die and therefore, considering the watch already lost, why not trying?

WHAT??? :blink:

Search IrishCain ...

Theviking

Does it work if you hand wind it? 

It might be worth messaging the dealer and ask them what to do.

GenTLe

By the way, now that I see the pics, that's not a modified 7750, it is a 7751, a very complicated movement.
Results are the same: difficulty you'll find someone that will work on it...

stuntd97
On 5/7/2018 at 00:19, Theviking said:

Does it work if you hand wind it? 

It might be worth messaging the dealer and ask them what to do.

So previously it was not.  I tried it again after a few weeks of it sitting, and it will go for a while now (half a day) if i manually wind and wear it.  In the past, when it would stop, i would just wear it for a bit and it would start up again. then i would adjust the time.  i used to do this because i had read that adjusting the date, winding, etc incorrectly could destroy the movement, so i was always afraid of wrecking the watch.  

I did not buy it from one of the TD here.  I contacted the dealer i got it from and was basically told you can buy another.  

On 5/7/2018 at 03:55, GenTLe said:

By the way, now that I see the pics, that's not a modified 7750, it is a 7751, a very complicated movement.
Results are the same: difficulty you'll find someone that will work on it...

Wow GenTLe.  just curious how you can tell the movement just by the picture (without the backing off)?  that is super impressive!  I haven't gotten a chance to take it anywhere yet, but seems there may not be much hope at this point.  Seems the best route maybe to just start looking for a new watch.  I will try to get the back off when i have some time i think, just to make sure it isnt some dust or something like Glaude suggested.  I agree that since it is not really working, have to try that at least. 

GenTLe
Wow GenTLe.  just curious how you can tell the movement just by the picture (without the backing off)?  that is super impressive!  I haven't gotten a chance to take it anywhere yet, but seems there may not be much hope at this point.  Seems the best route maybe to just start looking for a new watch.  I will try to get the back off when i have some time i think, just to make sure it isnt some dust or something like Glaude suggested.  I agree that since it is not really working, have to try that at least. 

Because it is the only movement with that configuration: day and month window, 24h and running seconds at 9, date with a hand, time and chronograph. I have the same one in a Longines

Natively it has also a real 28 days moon phase indicator.

http://watchbase.com/eta/caliber/7751

Glaude
30 minutes ago, GenTLe said:

Because it is the only movement with that configuration: day and month window, 24h and running seconds at 9, date with a hand, time and chronograph. I have the same one in a Longines emoji4.png

Natively it has also a real 28 days moon phase indicator.

http://watchbase.com/eta/caliber/7751

Are you sure you're seeing the same pics as me ? 

I don't see any month and day @12 on OP's pics, to me it only looks like a 7750 with a 24h central hand.

On your link the 7751 is said to have Day/Night indication not a real moon phase, Am I mistaken ? 

Cheers

GenTLe
Are you sure you're seeing the same pics as me ? 
I don't see any month and day @12 on OP's pics, to me it only looks like a 7750 with a 24h central hand.
On your link the 7751 is said to have Day/Night indication not a real moon phase, Am I mistaken ? 
Cheers
You are right mate. I am overwhelmed by work and I make mistakes, luckily here only ;)
I messed it up with this one:
153057_02_medium.jpg

Ok, so the movement of the OP then is a 7754 :)
Chronograph and GMT -> http://watchbase.com/eta/caliber/7754

Glaude
1 minute ago, GenTLe said:

You are right mate. I am overwhelmed by work and I make mistakes, luckily here only ;)
153057_02_medium.jpg

I better understand now the nightmare of servicing such a movement !

Metry

Yes

Edited by Metry

Glaude
3 minutes ago, Metry said:

@RepGuy come darling and check this new member ... he did his homework but we missed your idiot shitty game for R-Facory.

idiot

No use to stir the shit up in this thread and ruin OP subject.

This is a flame free zone.

Metry
1 minute ago, Glaude said:

No use to stir the shit up in this thread and ruin OP subject.

This is a flame free zone.

Yor are right ... comment edited 

thanks

Glaude
6 minutes ago, Metry said:

thanks

But you're welcome to :shitstir: in the subject where it all started .... :lol: 

RepGuy
1 hour ago, Metry said:

thanks

Luckily, your comment was saved when originally quoted by another member. You need to quit trying to police the forum, especially when you're trying to start trouble in the Flame Free Zone.

If you want to start shitposting again, tag me outside of the Flame Free Zone, and I'll be happy to oblige you. With how personal you take things, I'm more than happy to debate topics with you.

And by the way, referring to your original comment... it's called "R-Factory", not "R-Facory".

Idiot :baby:

Cap'n
On 08/05/2018 at 18:10, GenTLe said:

153057_02_medium.jpg

Wow - just posted in my own intro thread that I've never seen a Breitling I like..............and you've just changed my mind...........Stunning watch!