VMSG

How to learn watch maintenance and service

VMSG

I would like to learn how to service my reps, the simple stuff like opening the case, fixing movement tabs, greasing o rings, releasing the stem, fixing a bent or loose seconds hand, etc.

But I don't know where and how to begin. Yes, youtube is full of videos and everything is on the web (and on this forum :)), but I'm looking for something that works – from your personal experience – how did you learn to do those things? Do you recommend a specific video or channel on youtube? Or a specific site that is a good starting point?

TRANSPORTER

I’d recommend just getting an old cheap rep, or something off the bay, like any mechanical watch, start with a movement without any complications ( day date etc ).  Buy a few of these and some tools, I’d recommend some cheap screwdrivers ( I know there are going to be some that will scorn at that and say buy the Best ) but if you are just starting out you don’t want to be paying out a couple of hundred  quid for a set of Bergeron screw drivers, along with them get some tweezers again cheap to start but trust me when or if you get into repairs once you try a set of DuPont tweezers or the like you will notice the difference.

anyway I digress, also get a loup or two, go for say 4.5x mag or 5x mag for normal work, any tricky stuff I use 8x or 10x, a nice light LED if you can as it doesn’t give off so much heat and a nice work Matt, there are Bergeon matts but to start off with a bit of green card from hobby craft (packs of 20 sheets) works wonders. Also get a couple of movement holders, these cheap ones leave a lot to be desired when it comes to gripping the movement so have a look around.

as for videos etc, you’ve done your searching have a look for Mark lovick and his watch repair videos  these I found were invaluable in during my tentative steps into the world of repairs. Have fun and ask any questions you want ok.

VMSG
On 5/7/2018 at 17:14, TRANSPORTER said:

I’d recommend just getting an old cheap rep, or something off the bay, like any mechanical watch, start with a movement without any complications ( day date etc ).  Buy a few of these and some tools, I’d recommend some cheap screwdrivers ( I know there are going to be some that will scorn at that and say buy the Best ) but if you are just starting out you don’t want to be paying out a couple of hundred  quid for a set of Bergeron screw drivers, along with them get some tweezers again cheap to start but trust me when or if you get into repairs once you try a set of DuPont tweezers or the like you will notice the difference.

anyway I digress, also get a loup or two, go for say 4.5x mag or 5x mag for normal work, any tricky stuff I use 8x or 10x, a nice light LED if you can as it doesn’t give off so much heat and a nice work Matt, there are Bergeon matts but to start off with a bit of green card from hobby craft (packs of 20 sheets) works wonders. Also get a couple of movement holders, these cheap ones leave a lot to be desired when it comes to gripping the movement so have a look around.

as for videos etc, you’ve done your searching have a look for Mark lovick and his watch repair videos  these I found were invaluable in during my tentative steps into the world of repairs. Have fun and ask any questions you want ok.

Thank you!

Ordered some tools from ebay and aliexpress (not the super cheap ones but also not the most expensive ones). I have some cheap reps that I can work on.

And I'm preparing for my first real repair here:

TRANSPORTER

Nice one mate, sorry for late reply, work once again took me away, as for your repair/mod, removing hands is quite easy, pick yourself up a dial protector, it saves your hand removing tools from marking the dial, as for replacing them just take your time, also choose what tool you use wisely, I have three different sets of tools for replacing hands, and depending on different watches etc depends on what tool will work the best (easiest) to put the hands back on with.