gwkiw

My new Speedmaster Apollo Moonwatch

gwkiw

Hi folks,
I've been pondering on a Speedmaster for a while now to go with my lonely RG Seamaster Planet Ocean (the only other Omega rep in my collection).  There have been some very nice Speedy examples shown by members here. Well I finally picked one. I wanted something a little different from the standard all black dial/sub dial version  (not that there's anything wrong with the all black dial version).  Plus it had to be 42mm max, SS/SS, Venus HW.  I was originally after a custom touch to the watch but that didn't work out.

I went with one of the Apollo Moonwatch versions.  It was listed as an Apollo 17 40th anniversary but it isn't really. I'll get more into that in a bit.

It seems to me, correct me if I’m wrong, but the TDs are kind of mixed up on some of the Apollo Speedy versions.  Incorrect descriptions, mixed up dial/rear case back combinations etc.  That along with the well discussed limited movement options and the resulting sub dial spacing issues and, from what others have stated ongoing in RWG, the Speedy automatics certainly aren't the best choice for an "accurate" rep.

All that aside I was looking for a more casual daily wear SS/SS rep for an option to some of my more dressy & blingy reps. The Speedy, even with all the negative ''true rep'' aspects I feel is still a nice looking watch and I thought this classic would serve this purpose well.  Most people wouldn’t notice the anomalies anyway unless they own a gen.

I'd like to share some pics of my recent purchase.  Hope you enjoy.

20180505_164529_edit.jpg

20180505_164433_edit.jpg

Dial_wrist1.jpg

164737_edit.jpg

171507_edit2.jpg

171905_edit.jpg

Getting back to the add descriptions and incorrect dial/case back combinations......

This Speedy Moonwatch rep, based on its dial color, meteorite finish/sub dial colors, should be described as an Apollo-Soyuz 35th Anniversary Moonwatch.  Not an Apollo 17 40th Anniversary.  It has the Apollo 17 40th Anniversary case back which is not correct for the watch.  It is nicely done though. The engravings are top notch.  A little questionable in the lettering finish. This watch based on the dial etc. should have the Apollo-Soyuz engraved case back as shown in the following gen pics. (I'm not sure if the Apollo-Soyuz case back is even available in reps though?).  Also the Apollo 17 40th Anniversary Moonwatch is a completely different animal as you can see below.   Note I'm not an Omega Speedmaster expert but this is basically what I observed in my research looking at some gens online.

Here is the gen Apollo-Soyuz 35th Anniversary and it's appropriate Apollo-Soyuz case back.

Gen_apollo_soyuz_front.jpg    Gen_apollo_soyuz_back.jpg

This is the gen Apollo 17 40th Anniversary Moonwatch with it's Apollo 17 40th case back.  

Gen_Apollo_17_40th_ann_front_use.jpg        Gen_apollo_17_40th_ann_back.jpg

I'll be honest this rep purchase didn't blow me away when I first received it. There are some issues with the dial finish under certain light conditions. Like some other speedy owners have stated their ceramic bezel is a little dull. The strap looks great but feels a little light & clinky, does not feel  as heavy/solid as my Breitling and AP SS/SS rep straps.  The strap closure is also a little difficult to get the pin to 'snap in' to the clasp. Once it's in though it's in.  I think the strap should be better for this level of rep.

Still, despite all that this Speedy is definitely growing on me the more I wear it. The case craftsmanship is very good, sits well on the wrist, movement has good reserve so far, the strap 'looks' great.  My watch friends have provided some positive oooohhs &  aaaahs with it so we'll see how it goes.

Another wristy to finish things off.

Dial_wrist2.jpg

And with my PO Seamaster. 

170514_edit2.jpg

Cheers!!!

semperfi55

So it's an Apollo-Soyuz 35th Anniversary Speedy with an Apollo 17 40th Anniversary caseback marketed by TD as an Apollo 17 40th Anniversary Speedy :p

Thanks for the review, you've introduced me to yet more moonwatches! I quite like the dial finish.

Good choice of moonwatch; it won't be as obvious a rep because it's less well-known than THE moonwatch/ FOIS, I suppose?

Glaude

Very nice dial on that one ! 

Thanks for sharing !

gwkiw

Thanks,  I'm quite happy with the dial choice also. It's a step different from the norm.  I am definetly liking the watch the more I wear it.  

On 06/05/2018 at 19:51, semperfi55 said:

So it's an Apollo-Soyuz 35th Anniversary Speedy with an Apollo 17 40th Anniversary caseback marketed by TD as an Apollo 17 40th Anniversary Speedy :p

Yep, lol, you got that right,.  Its quite a mouthful when you put it that way.  

sacha

This watch is amazing. Congrats for your bying.

boneyjr

looks good!

Coax

Looks very nice and I like the logic of not going for the standard instantly recognizable Moonwatch dial..

So pray tell - can you mention the TD and do you know the factory producing this fine example?

thx

Coax

J!m

I like it actually.

As an aside, I met Tom Stafford, who was the commander on Spacelab in 1975 as the case back of the gen indicates... Really cool guy. He was commander of Apollo 10 in 1969 as well, and selected possible landing sites on the moon for 11. Also active in the Gemini program although I don't follow that program as closely...

gwkiw

I was away on holidays, 

Thanks very much for the comments.

On ‎15‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 10:31, Coax said:

Looks very nice and I like the logic of not going for the standard instantly recognizable Moonwatch dial..

So pray tell - can you mention the TD and do you know the factory producing this fine example?

thx

Coax

This was from PC, most other TDs have this version with the same erroneous case back.  TT has a similar version.  The factory I was told is the OM factory.

rwifreak

The dial really is a winner on this one, I like!!