OLLO

How to improve the rep after it arrives article

OLLO

Hi,

There is a fantastic article article about improving your new rep after arrival.

Tipps on using oil and grease to improve water resistance etc. 

Proplen is, I can`t find it anymore : (

anyone got the right link ?

Thanks

O

black263
16 minutes ago, OLLO said:

Hi,

There is a fantastic article article about improving your new rep after arrival.

Tipps on using oil and grease to improve water resistance etc. 

Proplen is, I can`t find it anymore : (

anyone got the right link ?

Thanks

O

Grease has nothing to do with WR.  That is a function of the O-rings and seals.  All that the grease does is help you to tighten down on the seal without distorting it by allowing slippage between the rubber and metal.  As for the checks after getting your watch, have a look at the link below.  Unfortunately, the pictures are fucked (Photobucket) but most of the information is self evident.  If you want to see the images, you have to right click on each one individually, and "open in new tab"

SteveA

If you use silicone grease on the O rings it does allow everything to be tightened thereby slightly improving WR .I do this regularly and use most of my diver reps for swimming

J!m

A drop on the male threads of the case will improve your life by allowing you to tighten it further under the same torque. And, getting it apart when the movement fails, is also easier.

DON'T go crazy with the KY ladies... "Just a dab 'ill do ya."

Same for the crown O-rings. While the back is off, remove the stem/crown assembly and lube the O-rings in the tube and crown.

Also be sure the crystal is fully seated. On acrylic crystal reps (i.e. vintage Rolex) if I find the crystal does not "press" onto the O.D. of the rehaut with some resistance, I set the crystal with G-S cement just before pressing on the crystal retainer. That does a lot of good on (what I call) a loose crystal. If it's "rattling" loose on the rehaut, get another crystal! Sapphire models use a plastic gasket to set the crystal. So you place the gasket on the rehaut, crystal in the gasket and then press on the crystal retainer (which usually has an o-ring under it as well). A bit of grease or silicone (if it's the thick stuff like Dow-Corning "Molycote" 111) holds the o-ring in place while you press the crystal retainer on.