PaulSH

A6497/6498 Winding Pinions, are they made of cheese?!

PaulSH

I currently have four watches with Asian 6497/6498 movements, all  of which have problems winding because of a seemingly worn/damaged winding pinion after very little use. I replaced one last night with a Unitas pinion from Cousins, and it worked perfectly.

It must be me doing something wrong. Has anyone got any suggestions please?

I put an Athaya Crown and tube in one of them, and put a new stem in. On another, I simply re-lumed the dial and put back in. One of them is absolutely stock from Jackson.

The only things I can think of are that the stems might have been cut too short, or not quite aligned correctly when I put the movements back in the watches . Perhaps I wind them too aggressively - although I don't think so. Perhaps I am just unlucky - or... perhaps the Asian moments have pinions made of cheese. I have another three Unitas ones on their way from Cousins, and will replace those - but don't want them to go the same way just because I am doing something stupid!

I would be grateful for anyone's thoughts.

J!m

I suggest replacing the stems along with the pinions, and lubing per the chart for the (Unitas) movement. If you don't have a chart (I don't), the tinyest drop of silicone grease on the flats of the stem can help keep things operating well. Maybe use the Eta 28xx chart as a guide...

Another thing may be the keyless. If that is completely dry, it can be a bear to operate (on any watch). Proper lubing of that will make the crown a pleasure to operate and keep wear to a minimum.

Note: if the pinion is in fact made of cheese, a cheese-compatible lubricant will be needed.

PaulSH

Cheers J!m.

Getting some proper oil is a probably a logical step for me, although ETA suggest 4 different oils for a 6497  https://www.eta.ch/swisslab/6497/6947.html

Would be nice to see how a freshly oiled A6497 compares to a general stock one.

Thanks for your reply.

J!m

Well, if it’s properly serviced, I’d expect it to run pretty sweetly.