RollyCR

Panerai 438 All Ceramic Rep V. Gen Pictures

RollyCR

Just received a Panerai 438 black all ceramic rep from Mr. TimeZone earlier this week (and I was very happy with Mr. TimeZone except for a short delay in QC, overall transaction was three weeks from order to receipt and I paid in bitcoin).  My friend has the genuine version and I've looked at this watch in a few authorized dealers. The watch is very close to the gen. There are small differences in the movement that you can see in the display back, but it's close enough. The only other "tell" is the slightly looser crown release. Still, I don't think most people, even watch people, would have any idea.

Also, this model has now been discontinued by Panerai, with the dealers saying the bracelet is just too difficult to produce. Who knows what the real reason is, perhaps there just isn't enough demand. Genuine price is $14,400. I paid $380 at Mr. TimeZone. 

I took some pictures today with the rep next to my friend's genuine. These are terrible quality, the back side in particular, and I apologize. I will take better pictures next time I see him if you all want that. The rep is on the same side in all of the images. Guess which is which and I'll update after a few hours with the answer.

1jxy9Pt.jpg1q8RLTW.jpgNVQZq0S.jpg

Lagger

One on left rep? 

RollyCR
1 minute ago, Lagger said:

One on left rep? 

What make you guess the left one?

Mr_B

Left? Movement looks better on the right? 

Lagger

Left looks brand new and like Mr B the movement looks better on the right

Daffy

Gen on the left.  The date window hole is cleaner, just seems more gen-like.

Nikosaldente

I'll go with Daffy!

Gen on the left; Better/Cleaner Font, The Power Reserve on the Back of the movement is Black and not Red as most Reps:D

Luxuracer

Rep on the right

@Daffy @Nikosaldente ... you two go away ... I was here first!

Luxuracer

Oh .... BTW ... Gen (lelf) has better dial markers, better dw, better cg engraving.

Genius

Left has better ar... slightly...

I had the rep a while was very nice can't remember why I let it go want again now :cry:

Glaude

I would say left is gen, end links seems to have a closer fit to the case... but damn, clearly not worth buying the gen !

RollyCR
20 minutes ago, Genius said:

Left has better ar... slightly...

I had the rep a while was very nice can't remember why I let it go want again now :cry:

Yeah it's a really nice watch. 44 mm so not too big for a Panerai. Totally different from anything else out there.

RollyCR

So, yes, the one on the left is the genuine and the one on the right is the rep.

SuperLory

Am a big pam lover and this watch is sooo sleek it was always my fav. In photos.

Then i bought the rep and...it’s freaking heavy, the 1950 case is bulky , AR is horrible, removing link is the ultimate PITA..

Sold straight away..

RollyCR
7 hours ago, SuperLory said:

Am a big pam lover and this watch is sooo sleek it was always my fav. In photos.

Then i bought the rep and...it’s freaking heavy, the 1950 case is bulky , AR is horrible, removing link is the ultimate PITA..

Sold straight away..

Yeah, I'm lucky it fits my wrist perfectly without removing any links. It doesn't seem particularly heavy for its weight though.

VMSG

Thank you @RollyCR, I love to see Rep vs Gen threads

mysterio

@RollyCR thanks for the rep vs gen pictures. Too bad the secret has been revealed already (teaches me not to read the whole thread first :lol: ). The fit of the end links on the left are better compared to the watch on the right aside from the aforementioned smaller gaps in between the links.

Mr_B

No you have said the left is gen, the colour and SEL is much better, the rep is almost grey. Still really nice though. 

RollyCR
16 hours ago, Mr_B said:

No you have said the left is gen, the colour and SEL is much better, the rep is almost grey. Still really nice though. 

yes, the rep is definitely lighter colored, although it looks just fine when it's not next to the gen :-)

Sgang

Interested to know which version of the replica is... the VSF v2? is the one i bought and still waiting for the shipment

The light difference in color could be the different angulation of the photos? 

I think the main difference is in the "texture" of the ceramic. It seems smoother on the gen and more "compact," like silk... is it true? 

Edited by Sgang