Cap'n

In for a penny..........

Cap'n

Hello everyone - been a lurker for a while and decided to take the plunge. 

I'm a watch nut and drive my other half up the wall with it - have a few genuine watches but don't have either the funds to feed my habit of buying all the ones I like, or the wife who 'understands' my addiction, so decided to dip my toe in the rep market, although I will be looking for the better quality ones, rather than the typical 'Looky Looky Man' you find on the beach trying to flog his 'goods'. I also have a slightly different view as well, in that it gives me the opportunity to see if I like it on the wrist for a while, without shelling out huge chunks of money, and if I do may just plump for the original in time (pardon the pun). 

So what do I have and what am I looking for?

Genuine:

• Tag Heuer Formula 1 - yes one of the original plastic ones with the rubber strap (blue face/strap) - my first ever foray into the watch world and I wouldn't let it go for love nor money - okay it's a quartz watch rather than a 'proper' mechanical watch but still keeps perfect time 30+ years on
  • Hamilton - 1965 Pan Europ
  • Omega Seamaster Chronograph (tends to be my every day regular wearable one)
  • Heuer Monaco (2012 special edition with the silver face and orange hands)
  • Rolex - Sub (Black with date)

What am I on the look out for:

• Rolex GMT Master II (Pepsi) - I toyed with the idea of a genuine one now they do a SS version, but really don't like the Jubilee bracelet it comes with and could never justify spending that amount of money on the white gold version.  
  • Chopard - Mille Miglia
  • AP - Royal Oak Offshore Diver
  • Panerai Marina
  • IWC Big Pilot
  • Patek Philippe Classic Tourbillon Big Date
  • Oh god - maybe just all of them - you can never have too many watches right, but certainly the above are on my hit list? 

Interestingly, I haven't come across a Breitling that I like yet, but there's always time!! 

I've done a fair amount of research already and will certainly be doing a lot more reading before making that first purchase, but please be gentle if I ask any really stupid questions! Happy to be a sponge and take in any tips/advice that anyone wants to throw my way. 

Mossback

Welcome..... my you have some nice ones.

There are some quality reps out there not exactly cheap but within reach of a normal person. If anything in this "hobby" is normal. 

GingerApple

Welcome! First forum 'rule' you've broken though is not posting pics of your lovely collection. :ttiwwop:

Once you've remedied that, out of the watches you list, I'd say the AP diver or Panerai is probably the best quality rep, the Big Pilot  is there or there  abouts. So pop your cherry asap, but I warn you, it's a slippery slope!

EBB

Panerai is definitely not worth buying gen, the reps are so good nowadays

Cap'n
36 minutes ago, Gingerbubba said:

Welcome! First forum 'rule' you've broken though is not posting pics of your lovely collection. :ttiwwop:

Once you've remedied that, out of the watches you list, I'd say the AP diver or Panerai is probably the best quality rep, the Big Pilot  is there or there  abouts. So pop your cherry asap, but I warn you, it's a slippery slope!

OK - not the best with a camera (there's one on my phone, why do I need a big camera :blush:) and from reading other threads looks like I need to find somewhere to host them cos I can't just 'upload' pics, but will see what I can do. 

greg_r

I'm not a big Breitling fan either, but you might find that the SuperOcean Heritage might change all that ;)

You are, of course, doomed. Welcome! :D 

Cap'n

OK - images to follow as I get them done, but here's the Monaco which was in my FB photos so easy to get at, as I said, not the best with a camera

fullsizeoutput_1afb.jpg

Cap'n

On my wrist today

M5v_Sm_WUp_SAio_Clech_LNy_HQ.jpg

Cap'n

My first foray into watches - needs some TLC but was worn daily through thick and thin when I was a young whipper snapper - been through some scrapes with me this one! 

fullsizeoutput_223a.jpg

GingerApple

Nice! Good work Coopster! Those photos are good enough for me, nice watches x2. Ok, X3 because of the sentimental attachment.

30 minutes ago, greg_r said:

I'm not a big Breitling fan either, but you might find that the SuperOcean Heritage might change all thaT

That's what got me turned onto Breitlings! Great watch! Mine says hi:

b8o4k3.jpg

PS #1 in my book.

Cap'n

Hamilton - inherited from my Dad - shortly to be sent away for refurb

fullsizeoutput_2240.jpg

Cap'n

And finally - almost a shame to have this as I rarely wear it. Spends most of it's time in the box...........don't want to look too flashy in front of clients (they'll only think I'm charging them too much) and at weekends I spend a lot of time sailing and don't want to get it damaged. Sounds strange but I don't mind the Omega taking the rough and tumble quite so much and to be honest it takes it so well (although you'll see the marks on the photo of it) - would hate that to happen to this one................and when I want something a little more 'dressy' the Tag goes on. I just love the sports watch image of this though - it's a classic for me (personal preference but always found this more understated than the Hulk and Smurf - he says with a Pepsi in his list of wants above!).

fullsizeoutput_3fb.png

Edited by Coopster

Glaude

Hello Coopster and welcome !

With an intro like that I hope you're planning to getting involved in the life of this crazy nuthouse !

Your collection is already impressive !

Not tempted by any Breitling ? Even this one ? 

vJtuP9E.jpg

5 hours ago, EBB said:

Panerai is definitely not worth buying gen, the reps are so good nowadays

+1

McGilli
8 minutes ago, Glaude said:

Not tempted by any Breitling ? Even this one ? 

vJtuP9E.jpg

+1

I swear - Glaude must be set up to get some kind of kickback on sales of that watch the way he's been peddling it around! But... I still love seeing it.... One of the very few watches that tempts me away from a black dial.

@Coopster Hey man. I need to get this straight. You show up here, with your opening post all smart like, talking about how you love watches, and you own some gens and want some replicas, and you seem to know what you're talking about and you don't ask anything you shouldn't be asking, and then you oblige us all with photos of your watches, and I'm like - why didn't this guy join 6 months ago at least?!?!?!

Welcome aboard. Glad to have you here!

GingerApple
3 hours ago, Coopster said:

fullsizeoutput_3fb.png

Fake!!!!! SEL gap at 11 and the too white bezel engravings are a dead giveaway.

Joking. It's a classic, understated elegance. Welcome aboard!

EBB
4 hours ago, Coopster said:

Hamilton - inherited from my Dad - shortly to be sent away for refurb

fullsizeoutput_2240.jpg

Be sure to show before/after photos, love seeing things like this. 

GenTLe

I don't think the big date Patek tourby will be findable as rep, but for the others there are AMAZING reps around so don't worry :)

RollyCR
7 hours ago, Coopster said:

And finally - almost a shame to have this as I rarely wear it. Spends most of it's time in the box...........don't want to look too flashy in front of clients (they'll only think I'm charging them too much) and at weekends I spend a lot of time sailing and don't want to get it damaged. Sounds strange but I don't mind the Omega taking the rough and tumble quite so much and to be honest it takes it so well (although you'll see the marks on the photo of it) - would hate that to happen to this one................and when I want something a little more 'dressy' the Tag goes on. I just love the sports watch image of this though - it's a classic for me (personal preference but always found this more understated than the Hulk and Smurf - he says with a Pepsi in his list of wants above!).

fullsizeoutput_3fb.png

Let that Rolex out to play! They are made to be worn and can handle the abuse like not other watch in my opinion.

VMSG

giphy.gif

Luxuracer
10 hours ago, Coopster said:

Hello everyone - been a lurker for a while and decided to take the plunge. 

Welcome to RWG ... the Nuthouse ... Repworld.

Very nice collection you have there ... The 'What am I on the look out for:' list should be a lot longer ... (it will be)

dph.gif