_DC_

THE DC COLLECTION: June 2018 (pic heavy)

_DC_

A lot of pieces have come and gone from the collection since I last did a SOTC post, including about five different Richard Milles (still hunting the perfect RM for me) the odd AP and a few Langes!

There are more pieces which will probably leave over the coming months, as with any collection, as well as a number of pieces which will simply never leave for various reasons which I’ll mention below, but I feel like I’m becoming more rational, less prone to impulse buying the latest new release, and more aware of what I actually like wearing/owning rather than just liking the look of.

Unsurprisingly what remains is largely Pateks and Rolexes almost all 40mm or smaller. So let’s have a group shot and then we’ll get into it!

B3_E6_CE2_D-7_C01-403_B-_B6_BE-_BAEA18_F

ROLEX 116234

86_B58_E36-2_C0_A-4_D8_C-99_CC-7_F2135_C

This is the oldest watch in my collection, purchased for me by my then girlfriend (now wife) for Christmas 2012. It was during that time that I discovered RWG and joined on 3rd January 2013, so in some ways this watch marks the beginning of this journey of madness I’ve been involved in ever since. For all the above reasons it will never leave the DC collection.

PATEK 5711/1A

FA8_E156_A-_F628-476_D-8545-59_A80_A16_E

A watch that needs no introduction, this is an unmolested BP V1, complete with undecorated Miyota, famed “Greentilus” dial and incorrect hands. It replaced my blue dial SW200 (I did a side by side comparison of the two a while back) but for all it’s flaws there hasn’t been a Nautilus released since that has persuaded me to trade it in. I kinda like the green/blue colour, I’ve never really been bothered by the hands, and most importantly it’s lovely and thin without any silly movement decoration! Is it the best Patek sports watch though?!? Not so sure anymore... more on that later!

ROLEX 5513 (TIFFANY & CO DIAL)

8_CB5_ABC1-304_A-476_B-83_F9-951_CF93487

This watch has graced the wrist of several RWG forum members (of varying reputation #stormynight) though it looks a little different to how it did when Pseudonym gifted it to me several years ago. It has been “vintaged” by another member with (involving rather a lot of coffee) and had no bracelet with it. I had a TC bracelet lying around which is what it now sits on, and I recently opened it up and gave the dial a clean to reveal the original bright white text and lume plots. I might have another go at giving it a more subtle ageing if I get time, but if it does go to a new home it will be gifted on, as well it should be!

ROLEX 116500

CDAC2_FB7-_AE5_C-4013-987_F-_E904_ED44_E

Another watch that needs no introduction and one of the more recent additions to the DC collection. I’ve always fancied a modern Daytona but wasn’t sure which one to go for. Ultimately I chose this because I love the contrast of the white dial with the black subdials. I’d prefer a steel bezel so if there were ever a rep of the Zenith Daytona that would be my perfect modern Daytona, but in the meantime this is a great watch for a night out or casual wear at the weekend!

ROLEX 116528

23_E13377-_FBF2-4118-980_D-_F9_BA0_C9_A9

What can I say, I like gold. Largely I bought this because I really wanted a vintage gold Daytona but they were unavailable (as you can see I’ve since acquired one) and this configuration of gold case and bezel, black dial and gold subdials is exactly the look I was after, so this was a good substitute. In reality it’s very different to the vintage piece and has a charm all of its own, so for now it is staying, but long term will probably go (most likely in winter when wearing a gold watch just doesn’t quite work).

PATEK 5167/1A

72589_B11-_B453-498_C-_A8_AE-9_E207_D834

Ok, so here’s the thing. I’ve owned both a Nautilus and an Aquanaut for a number of years now, and on many an occasion I find myself stood at my watch box trying to decide what watch to throw on, just to go to the park or the shops or meet friends for a drink, when I don’t want anything flashy or fancy, just a good watch. It usually comes down to either the Nautilus or the Aquanaut, and almost without exception I end up choosing he Aquanaut. It’s not as iconic as the Nautilus, it’s perhaps not as noteworthy in design terms either, but it’s just so damn good, so damn comfy, so damn wearable and readable and classy without being at all overstated, that I honestly prefer it to the Nautilus and believe it is the best Patek sports watch... there I said it!!

A PAIR OF ROLEX 6265s

62_BBFEF5-_C3_FB-4_D7_A-_A318-4329631_A2

E42_DEBD7-8_E15-4692-_A9_C7-1173_C4_B60_

FE2_F0_F22-_A7_BF-4_D9_F-_BACA-8_D5_A217

A number of you might have seen a documentary on YouTube called “Time Machines” which follows London based watch dealer Tom Bolt as he meets with various clients (famous and infamous) to discuss exactly what the obsession with watches is all about. I first saw it in 2012 long before discovering RWG and it was undoubtedly a big part of what got me into watches in a big way. I must have watched it around thirty times since. Specifically I was drawn to the two watches that Tom was trying to sell to “nailed on watchaholic” John Bardiger. A steel 6265 which John had specifically requested, and the “golden surprise” which he was being lured into buying, a yellow gold 6265. I wanted these watches... I now have them (well, reps of them, obviously).

The steel one has had the rep dial replaced with a gen spec one from Yuki, which necessitates the moving of the 6 o’clock canon pinion slightly higher up the dial in order to fit. As you can see the gold one also has a replacement dial ready and waiting to go off to my modder for the same treatment, though that one is from Phong and was rather more expensive. I can’t wait!!

ROLEX 6239 EXOTIC “PAUL NEWMAN” DIAL

103_CA53_D-_D41_A-4_CF7-8418-_D691_CD59_

Even people who aren’t into watches probably know what this watch is, following the record breaking sale of Paul’s own reference 6239. I got caught up in all the hype like everyone else, and I’ve always liked vintage Daytonas but struggled to decide which of the many options to go for, so I decided to pick one up. I especially liked the look of it on the Phillips branded nubuck strap that the auction house affix to a lot of their lots. So I commissioned Camille Fournet to make me a black nubuck strap very similar to the ones Phillips have (which I would imagine CF make for them anyway). It’s lovely, and is also a very different watch to the other vintage Daytonas that I have, so it doesn’t feel like too much of the same thing, it’s much sportier and funkier to wear.

AUDEMARS PIGUET 15202ST

58_B9_C60_E-4_E8_B-4918-830_B-7_CBFDE0_D

Like the 5711 mentioned earlier, this watch is iconic, but also doesn’t get a great deal of wrist time. I’m loathed to sell it because I really like AP and it’s easily the most wearable of all Royal Oaks for my small wrists, so I’m holding onto it in the hope that at some point I come back around to wearing it more often. It sits nicely in the collection and is the best attempt at a decent Royal Oak Jumbo that the factories have made thus far in my humble opinion.

PATEK 5205G-010

275_EE228-7907-42_AF-_B271-5_E69_C315_FA

It’s pretty much Patek from here on out folks! Starting with probably my least worn and least favourite rep, this 5205. There is a lot to love about this watch. The case is stunning, truly a work of art! It’s black dial which is rare in a dress Patek and makes for a nice change, so why don’t I ever wear it?? Two reasons, firstly the strap it’s on doesn’t fit me that great so I can’t get it to sit right, which means I need to invest in a good strap probably from Camille Fournet. But I haven’t because of the second reason, which is that it houses a rather noisy Miyota movement and it drives me nuts, so I can’t justify the expense of the CF strap until I figure out how to shut it up. As a result it may go at some point to someone who is less bothered by the rotor noise!

PATEK 5227G-001

BFE3_F58_C-_CB58-4_F0_E-83_D2-_FC47_F67_

This is a very special watch, and is easily my most worn watch to such an extent that despite only owning it for a little over three years the Camille Fournet strap that it’s on is almost completely worn out. I wear it to work virtually every day I’m there. I bought it to wear on my wedding day, which I did, and prior to that my wife took it and had the inside of the officers case-back engraved with the words “Everything you need will come to you at the perfect time”, which has pretty much come to pass ever since.

8_FBB88_A8-0410-489_C-_BE6_D-24913_D8774

Aside from that it is quite simply the best Patek rep I’ve ever owned, and let’s be honest I’ve owned a few ;). The case, like the 5205, is a work of art with the sculpted lugs. They got the thickness just right and the officers case-back is beautifully hinged and well put together. Other than not being lacquered like the gen the dial is also pretty spot on too, and as with my Nautilus this is a BP V1 so no silly decorated movement making it too thick or too noisy. The Miyota in this watch is virtually silent (thank god)!!!

PATEK 5711G-001

EC4_E85_D9-80_CB-42_D2-_A3_F6-_DDEC766_E

This was the first Nautilus I ever bought way back in January 2013 shortly after joining RWG from Mary (and Rochest at the time). It’s an SW200 so it was expensive even by today’s standards, you can tell I wasn’t mucking about! I then purchased a gen Patek strap for it (which was fitted by my local Timpsons at the time who had no idea what a Patek was) and not long after that I sold it (like a complete idiot) to buy a BP V1 Royal Oak 15400 when it was first released. I regretted that decision for many years, and sent quite a few messages begging the purchaser to sell it back to me. Two years later he finally did, and I can tell you I won’t be making that mistake again. This beauty is staying!!

PATEK 5980R-001

BBC78_DC0-9375-43_DE-_B051-733_CD9_EB515

I always liked the Nautilus Chronograph, I thought, and still think, it’s one of the best integrations of a chronograph into an existing watch design. I’ve owned three in my time, two steel ones with a blue and black dial respectively, and this one. It’s got an A7750 in it which is unfortunately broken, which rather prohibits any sale. But also it wears battle scars from the night of my stag do in London, so there’s sentimental reasons for it staying, but I really don’t wear it.

PATEK 5107G-001

E7_C4_B3_EF-_C996-4_D11-9_FDA-4_C6_B3_AA

I’ve told the story a few times of how this watch came to be in my collection, having been bought and paid for by me, then seized at customs, then refunded, then bribed back and sold to someone else, then eventually offered back to me (for which I am eternally greatful Rob). It remains the only one of its kind I’ve ever seen, with a decent 2824 movement in the back, and I just love the angular bezel and swooping crown protectors. This is Patek at their best at the very beginning of the 21st century, and it’s the only rep of this model I’ve seen which does it justice. As you can see it’s a little naked right now. I need to get a CF strap for it, but as I wear the 5227 every day I’m not sure it would get the wrist time so for now I can’t justify the cost, but I like to pull it out and have a good look at it from time to time, I may even get something a little different for it strap wise, just to mix it up and encourage me to wear it. Perhaps a funky coloured nubuck strap or something. But either way, it ain’t ever being sold!

PATEK 530

FA03_D40_A-_A052-4_C06-_B798-_FE529_ED4_

Now we’re into the heavy hitters of my Patek collection (in terms of gen value), starting with a steel two register chronograph. I am currently on the hunt for a donor case, as I feel it’s a real shame that the case on this rep just isn’t up to scratch when the dial is so superb. The dial really deserves to be in a better case. Whether I find a suitable donor case remains to be seen, if not it may leave the collection at some point, but for now the hunt continues!

PATEK 5131j & 5131g. A PAIR OF WORLD TIMERS

A677_E8_FF-2364-4207-92_B2-1_DBB69_FCD02

32_B05460-15_A5-4_B09-_BBFC-3043354831_F

009541_D9-4683-46_C4-_A4_D6-81_AD62_D197

Some of you may have seen the threads I started on these watches. They weren’t/aren’t great reps of the gen, but I took the time to hand paint the dials to bring them a little closer to the real thing and they really are very pretty watches and a lot of fun. The fact that they are the only two of their kind also pleases me (you may have noticed I like rare pieces) and every now and again I fancy a splash of colour so they come out into the sunshine!

PATEK 5370P-001

316_C28_DA-_A67_A-4_F81-9_A3_D-_A3631_CA

The gen 5370P is probably one of the greatest watches of all time in my opinion (a close second to the 5970). Again the rep falls short of doing it true justice but at this end of the Patek spectrum that’s hardly surprising, we’re talking a $250,000 split second chronograph with enamel dial here!! Overall it’s a nice piece, a little larger than I usually wear at 41mm but it wears small, and a little thicker than I usually wear at 13.5mm, but the case is sculpted and interesting, very different to any other Patek I own, and the concave bezel is pure Patek!! Like a lot of my Pateks it’s on a Camille Fournet strap.

PATEK 5970G-001

EBA0_ABE0-2_D66-404_F-913_A-5_FB2_F45087

Last but certainly not least, and as I’ve already stated in my opinion the greatest watch of all time, the 5970. Now given that it’s the greatest watch of all time there was never going to be an accurate rep. There have been a few attempts over the years, largely oversized with 21j movements. I bought this one, despite its many flaws, for two reasons. It’s 40mm same as gen (and therefore wearable for my small wrists) and it’s got a 2824 in the back. The bezel, like on the 5370, is perfectly concave just like gen, the lugs are some of the best I’ve seen on a rep, and despite being relatively complicated with working date, day of the week, 24hr and day/night indicators, it’s never once gone wrong (touch wood)! Shortly after purchasing it I was told it was no longer available, I’ve asked (and been asked) several times since and it’s still not available, so again it’s a rare bird.

And there you have it, 20 watches, both old and new, which chart my time in this hobby. There are a few exciting things in the pipeline and probably this collection won’t look quite the same in another year, but I think for the most part these pieces will stay with a few exceptions. Hope you’ve enjoyed it and I haven’t bored you to tears, but hey if I did you should have just stopped half way!!

Thanks for looking as always.

DC

Jibuti

very, very nice.....!

now all we need is your adress, mate!

_DC_
1 hour ago, jibuti said:

very, very nice.....!

now all we need is your adress, mate!

Haha... *checks outside front door*... yeah good one :baghead:

DC

deju

you always have amazing watches mate! also like the fact you dabbled in some RM's. Daring to be different unlike some of the boring "sub" fan club :D

Glaude

Very nice collection ! 

I'll take the lot, do you do group shipping ?

_DC_
4 hours ago, deju said:

you always have amazing watches mate! also like the fact you dabbled in some RM's. Daring to be different unlike some of the boring "sub" fan club :D

Cheers buddy, appreciate your kind words! If you like different then keep your eyes peeled for future developments in the collection which will definitely divide opinion, lol!

DC

semperfi55

Brilliant collection post!!:thumbsup:

That was a very enjoyable read! Thank you! I had to stop myself from impulse buying there.....

I also prefer the rarer watches. Not in a rush to buy a Sub (which I like) because they will always be in production.  

I especially like your double chrono. Didn't know reps were made for that! 

GenTLe

Good collection DC, I am also one of those attached to the BP Nautilus v1 (but I put correct hands on it).
And I like the 5227 a lot too, even I really rarely wear it because my current lifestyle doesn't really match with such an elegant piece.

_DC_
13 minutes ago, GenTLe said:

Good collection DC, I am also one of those attached to the BP Nautilus v1 (but I put correct hands on it).
And I like the 5227 a lot too, even I really rarely wear it because my current lifestyle doesn't really match with such an elegant piece.

Don’t worry, I wear my 5227 enough for the both of us :happy:

DC

Dendo

Very nice indeed.  Great collection and write up.  You encapture the true spirit of what RWG is all about.

I love your discipline in keeping it to twenty. 

PlanetZoom

Very nice collection.

Especially the Pateks! 

Davesjourney

That s a great read with some iconic pieces and good clear photos.  Fab collection - you are indeed number 1 in Patekology, sir!

_DC_

Cheers guys! It’s actully the first time in almost two years that I’ve had all my watches out together and looked at them all together, didn’t even realise I had 20 until yesterday :facepalm:

DC

MAJ75
On 05/06/2018 at 22:14, Dendo said:

Very nice indeed.  Great collection and write up.  You encapture the true spirit of what RWG is all about.

I love your discipline in keeping it to twenty. 

Very well said @Dendo I agree 100%.

@_DC_ It is great to see your enthusiasm undiminished after the years, you have supremely elegant taste my friend. A suitably classy record of your current collection.

Ksaeed721

love the 5980R hoping to pick one up very soon

cugine

Beautiful collection.  Question.... for all of the gold reps that you own, have you had any issues regarding the gold plating wearing/fading away?  Would love to get your feedback/thoughts on that.  Thanks!

Glaude
4 minutes ago, cugine said:

Beautiful collection.  Question.... for all of the gold reps that you own, have you had any issues regarding the gold plating wearing/fading away?  Would love to get your feedback/thoughts on that.  Thanks!

You'll have to make a sum up post of all the data you collected about this question, with quote from various members, etc... 
Should take you some time given how often you've asked people about that ;) :p 

cugine
4 minutes ago, Glaude said:

You'll have to make a sum up post of all the data you collected about this question, with quote from various members, etc... 
Should take you some time given how often you've asked people about that ;) :p 

that's kind of the point.  is there a problem with the frequency and quantity of my asking?  I like to gather as much information as possible before dropping my money on something.  there's nothing better than word of mouth feedback.  

Glaude
1 minute ago, cugine said:

that's kind of the point.  is there a problem with the frequency and quantity of my asking?  I like to gather as much information as possible before dropping my money on something.  there's nothing better than word of mouth feedback.  

Not really a problem apart from the fact that each and everyone gave you the answer you were looking for a long time ago, you'll probably not get any other information on that subject, but beside the little sarcastic tone of my previous message, you could do a hell of post about the gold thing if you regroup all the information present on the forum about it, the search function deliver a massive amount of result about it !

cugine
2 minutes ago, Glaude said:

Not really a problem apart from the fact that each and everyone gave you the answer you were looking for a long time ago, you'll probably not get any other information on that subject, but beside the little sarcastic tone of my previous message, you could do a hell of post about the gold thing if you regroup all the information present on the forum about it, the search function deliver a massive amount of result about it !

Understood.  I'll respectfully disagree with you regarding everyone gave me the answer I was looking for a long time ago.  I haven't been satisfied with what I've read thus far.  I'm a new member for one and this is a subject of MANY that I'm interested in within this space so as you can imagine, there is plenty of searching and reading that I do on various topics.... during the very limited free time I have between my wife and daughter, running two businesses, etc...   I appreciate your direction and attention, and because it seems like a problem that I continue to ask individuals on their threads, I will refrain from asking again.    have a good day.

Glaude
1 hour ago, cugine said:

Understood.  I'll respectfully disagree with you regarding everyone gave me the answer I was looking for a long time ago.  I haven't been satisfied with what I've read thus far.  I'm a new member for one and this is a subject of MANY that I'm interested in within this space so as you can imagine, there is plenty of searching and reading that I do on various topics.... during the very limited free time I have between my wife and daughter, running two businesses, etc...   I appreciate your direction and attention, and because it seems like a problem that I continue to ask individuals on their threads, I will refrain from asking again.    have a good day.

Not a single problem mate, you took it the wrong way, just pointing out that everything as been said on the forum about the longevity of the various gold rep, answers are easy to find and always leeds to the same conclusion : depends on the care, the type of plating that has been done, the thickness of the plating (you could easily imagine that it vastly depends from batch to batch).

Do not refrain yourself, just pointing out that you'll probably have no different answer than the one you already got, friendly advice, nothing else ;) 

J!m

I appreciate a well compiled collection with some meaning to it. 

Good job. I enjoyed the read. 

Malala thinking an officer back Patek is in my future... but a black dial. 

Mohan, care to give a bit more info on your strap maker?

BoobBandit

Well done mate. Cheers! @_DC_

Xxxl

Now this is a collection to be jealous of. The 6265’s are stunning! 

Pseudonym

I’m happy to have played a small part in that box. The 5107 went to the right guy in the end. Glad you still have it.