Tits McGee

PO repair or suggestions. Assistance requested

Tits McGee

I picked up a 42mm PO from M2M with a crown issue. I can't get the crown screwed down. It just won't catch the thread. It's an ETA 2836-2 movement (sold as Swiss), I think! I also believe this was originally supplied by Josh (Perfect Clones). 

I'm aware this is a famous flaw in these Omegas. I need to know if someone can fix this (I don't have a local watchsmith yet), OR do I just trash it and take another chance. I've already imposed on Rich and I'm not bothering him again. Katt's can't help without parts. Is this worth fixing or not? 

RNPeZHE.jpg

89Y85ex.jpg

BadPickle

I have a b&r 02 the same issue, I just shortened the stem and used as a push-in crown

FunnyStarSystem
4 hours ago, pickledbeetroot said:

I have a b&r 02 the same issue, I just shortened the stem and used as a push-in crown

Yup, had a stripped IWC Spitfire, did the same. Also had an Aqua Terra do this, switched out the crown and stem for a gen crown with a shorter stem, voila. You can probably get your child laborers up there to fix it right well for you. :D

Left Coast Guy

Well, option #1 for Omega's is Ofrei -- they sell gen Omega parts. The website sucks to navigate and you need to find your exact model, but you can source a gen crown and tube there, no problem. Then the work is pretty simple -- remove the mov't, wrap the case to prevent scratches, use a needle nose pliers to yank out the old tube, then install the new one. 95% sure there's a tutorial on the process somewhere around here. Problem is, the gen crown and tube set up can run $90 -$150 (just a wag from memory). 

processengr

Clark sells the crown and tube for the PO on Ebay uner a name other than Clark

i will try to find the info

you need to measure the crown diameter and thickness 

processengr
1 item sold by nostalgia-2000
Omega Crown Factory New Stainless Steel screw down with tube planet ocean 6.4 mm

Omega Crown Factory New Stainless Steel screw down with tube planet ocean 6.4 mm
( 232683592487 )

ITEM PRICE:
US $37.00

processengr

Note that installing this may not be easy...the tube is loctited in- I used a 40 watt soldering iron with a copper tip filed square to remove the tube. if you bugger the thread, it is a unusual size .25 pitch...

Tits McGee

Thanks for the suggestions but I lack the skills, eyesight, and patience to repair it myself. I'm thinking I'll send it out as soon as I can find the parts. Thanks guys. I'm sending an email to my TD right now.