Sign in to follow this  
rc42

Tutorial - Fittong gen dial, hands & crystal into an Omega UPO

rc42

UPOorig1.jpg

Fitting a Gen Dial , Hands & Crystal into an Omega UPO

This post will show in detail how I swapped a gen dial, hands and crystal into my UPO. Although posted as a tutorial, this is just my account of how I did it and the result I got, there may be better or faster ways to do this especially for experienced modders with better equipment but having a go at this and solving problems as you go is a big part of this hobby (for me anyway).

I posted a thread a few weeks ago asking for help and advice with my first ever hands/dial removal and re-fitting and got some excellent tips from it. Perhaps most importantly is only do this if you have some essential tools, a steady hand, lots of patience, and can afford to loose everything that you have spent.

Assuming you have the last three, the tools that you will need are as follows:

1. Precision screwdrivers (preferably propper watchmakers tools)

2. A loupe 5x or 10x (preferably one of each)

3. Presto hand removers (available cheap on eBay)

4. Rodico (jewelers blu-tak, essential for dust and fingerprint removal)

5. Fine tweezers

6. A case opener (tape ball if you have to)

7. Latex gloves

8. A crystal press (available cheap on eBay)

You will also need some gen parts to put into your UPO, mine were from ofrei.com and here is a reminder of the part numbers for the 45mm UPO:

Ofrei_UPO.jpg

Here are the parts as delivered (I also got a spare nylon ring for the crystal but it was not needed)

UPOgenParts.jpg

To start, create a work area using a suitable (lint free) soft material, I used a polishing cloth.

Next, remove the strap or bracelet and then remove the caseback with a suitable tool.

UPOcaseRemoval.jpg

Then remove the magnetic shield plate (no screws) to expose the movement and retaining ring.

UPOmvmtRetainer.jpg

Set the time on the watch to midnight and pull the crown to operate the hack with all hands aligned (for easy removal)

UPOsetMidnight.jpg

Turn over the case and press the crown release button (WITH THE CORECT SIZE SCREWDRIVER) and remove the crown.

IMPORTANT - if the movement starts running with the stem removed then use a small piece of Rodico to stop the balance wheel, this time needs to stay at midnight for correct positioning of the gen hands.

Next remove the three retaining screws and lugs.

UPOcrownRemove.jpg

Carefully place your fingers across the movement and turn the case over, then gently lift of the case to leave the movement resting on your fingers.

This picture was taken during when I removed the movement the first time but hadn't set the hands to midnight, (DOH). Mistakes will happen, just work backwards and start that part again if they do (see above for requirement for patience)

UPOmvmtOut.jpg

At this point you can also remove the old crystal from the case, if you don't have the correct press then you could try pushing with thumbs or tapping it out with something.

I use an old plactic marker pen case against the inside of the crystal with the case lugs held gently and then tap the end of the pen with another tool.

UPOcrystalRemove1.jpg

The crystal will pop out after a couple of gentle taps

UPOcrystalRemove2.jpg

Back to the movement assembly:

Cut some paper to place over the dial so that it doesn't get marked when you remove the hands.

OK, its the rep dial so you don't really care but you may want it for another project and its worth the practice incase you need to remove and reposition the gen hands later.

UPOdialCover.jpg

Use the Presto remover for the hands, pull it apart slightly and place it against the paper dial protector, then slide it under the hand from the back. When its central pusher is located over the cannon pin squeeze the two sides gently and the hand will pop off.

UPOprestoHourRemove.jpg

Repeat for all three hands.

At this point I suggest that you practice pressing the hands back into place and then remove them again, don't try this for the first time with the gen hands. (see later)

UPOremovedHands.jpg

Now turn the movement over so that you can seperate the dial from the movement.

There are two small friction clips that hold pins that are attached to the back of the dial.

Gently prise them open with a screwdriver

UPOdialClip1.jpgUPOdialClip2.jpg

With both clips open the movement and dial will seperate.

UPOdialClip2.jpg

There is a spacer ring which may stay with the dial or come off with the movement, note which way up it goes.

UPOdial_mvmt.jpg

Open the pack with the new gen dial.

UPOnewDial.jpg

Just to take a moment out here to compare the dials, the rep (left) is a very close match to the gen (right) but there are a few differences when you get this close:

1. The Omega logo doesn't have turned up toes on the gen (yes, you all know that)

2. The hour markers on the gen have thinner borders and more lume

3. The fonts are a very close match but all white print and seconds markers are thinner and clearer on the gen

4. The orange numerals are brighter and slightly thicker on the gen

UPOdialCompFace.jpg

5. At an angle, the gen looks greyer and reflects more light from the dial face

UPOdialCompAngle.jpg

rc42

6. The UPO may have superb lume for a rep but the gen is really out on its own

UPOdialCompLume.jpg

OK, this is not a review, its a tutorial so on we go.

Here, the gen dial differs from the rep as its movement locating pins are shorter

UPOcompDialPins1.jpg

OK, it doesn't look too bad there, but put the dials back to back and see how much shorter it is.

UPOcompDialPins2.jpg

What difference does this make?

Look at the clip on the movement (center of picture), it should lock the dial pin but the gen pin is too short to reach it

UPOdialPinClipMiss.jpg

OK, so we're stuffed now right?

Well, no, fortunately, the construction of the UPO means that the retaining ring that holds the movement is perfectly sized and the movement sits in it exactly the right distance from the dial.

UPOmvmtHolder.jpg

When assembled, the outer edge of the retaining ring holds the dial toward the front of the case and the centre of the retaining ring holds the movement and prevents it from moving away from the dial. All the dial pins do is stop the movement and dial from rotating relative to each other.

In short, the clips are not essential as the tollerances elsewhere are so tight.

To proceed, place the dial pins into the movement and close the clips, then place the retaining ring over the movement.

If you forget which way round the dial goes, remember that the date window is next to the hole for the crown stem.

UPOmvmtDialRetain.jpg

Turn over the assembly so that the dial faces upward, the date should align correctly and it is ready for the new gen hands to be fitted.

UPOdialCannonPin.jpg

I found the best way to hold hands for positioning and refitting is a small piece of Rodico on a screwdriver.

UPOrodicoDriver.jpg

Hold the hand by its tip and move into position over the cannon pin, the time should read midnight when the hands are in place

UPOpositionHourHand1.jpg

When the hand is in position push it over the cannon pin using a small non-marking tube, I used the refil from a BIC ball point pen which worked perfectly.

UPOpositionHourHand2.jpg

The hand should push on without too much effort if the hole is aligned correctly.

UPOpositionHourHand3.jpg

The hour hand should sit neatly, level with the dial and point exactly at 12 when you have finished.

UPOpositionHourHand4.jpg

Next, repeat the process for the minute hand, I used a plastic cover from my tweezers for this as it is sofy polypropylene and the central hole in the tube is smaller. Some people use a toothpic or match, cut square and a pin hole made in the center.

After pushing the minute hand into position, check that it is level and clears the hour hand. In the picture below it does not and needs to be pushed down at the back to lift the arrowhead slightly.

UPOminuteHandPosition.jpg

The second hand is supplied in a piece of thin card, use this to hold it for positioning and then push it gently into place.

UPOgenSecondHand.jpg

Position the second hand pointing at 12 and check the spacing between hands again.

I used the same plastic tube as the minute hand to push this into place (be very gentle).

UPOgenSecondHandPos.jpg

With the second hand in place the hard work is over, this one doesn't have to be exactly at midnight or even eactly aligned with a second marker on the dial. It does need to be close enough to check clearance between hands though.

UPOgenHandsOn.jpg

Next, gently pick up the movement and dial assembly by holding the retaining ring and place it onto your hand and lower the case over it so that the date window is alligned with the crown tube.

UPObackIntoCase.jpg

Turn the case over and carefully insert the crown stem back into the movement, you will probably have to press the release button again to do this (WITH THE CORRECT SIZE SCREWDRIVER).

UPOcrownRefit.jpg

Pick up the assembly and gently turn it over again. Support the movement and retainer on your hand and pull the crown to the time set position, wind through 24 hours and chack that the hands do not touch and that the date changeover is at midnight.

If not, then set the time to the date changover point and remove the movement and possibly even the hands and position them correctly.

UPOmvmtRefitted.jpg

When you are hapy with the hand positions, turn over the case and re-fit the lugs and retaining screws.

UPOscrewRetainer.jpg

rc42

With the 3 screws tightened, put some Rodico on a screwdriver and clean up any traces of fingerprints or dirt and fibres from the movement. If you have used latex gloves there will be hardly anything to clean.

UPOmvmtRodico.jpg

Replace the magnetic shield

UPOmagShield.jpg

And replace the caseback.

I also put a tiny amount of lubrication onto the rubber sealing ring to help water resistance.

UPOcaseback.jpg

The final step is the fitting of the gen crystal.

Remove it from its package and clean the inside thoroughly with Rodico to remove all dust and fingerprints, I found a good way was to roll a small piece back and forth.

UPOgenCrystalRodico.jpg

The dial also needs to be cleaned of all dust and prints, turn over the movement and check it carefully through a loupe and clean any specks using the screwdriver and Rodico.

UPOdialClean.jpg

When all cleaning os complete, double check for dust and then place the crystal onto the case.

UPOlocateGenCrystal.jpg

Use the crystal press to gently push the crystal into position.

UPOcrystalPress1.jpg

The gen crystal is expensive so ensure you have nylon pushers and check that it goes down level.

The crystal fit is not too tight so you could actually do this without a propper press.

UPOcrystalPress2.jpg

Finally, clean off the outside of the crystal and admire your work.

The most noticable difference is the gen AR on the crystal which has tints that vary from pink to purple as light sources reflect across it.

UPO_AR_Before.jpgUPO_AR_After.jpg

Re-fit the strap or bracelet and see how it looks on your wrist :lol:

UPOwrist1.jpg

UPOwrist2.jpg

Hope you found this useful, sorry it took so long :cry:

trailboss99

Great piece of work rc42. Not bad at all. Just the sort of stuff we need in here.

Col.

oscarmadfish

thats just amazing thank you :phone:

greg_r

That's a superb piece of work rc. Thank you! :thumbsup:

:phone:

:lol:

:thumbsup:

:notworthy:

SliceMaster

:phone::lol::thumbsup::notworthy:

great work thx for showing us!!!!!

Edited by SliceMaster

bme

Brilliant job...........thanks for showing us.

AllergyDoc

Nice work, rc.

But, :phone:, I'll stick with snotty noses and eczema.

Massimo

Superb tutorial, thank you for taking the time to put it together. The photography is brilliant too.

The tip about holding the hands for positioning and refitting using Rodico on a screwdriver is a great one - as well as practising re-fitting using the old hands!

:phone: