Sign in to follow this  
pfcdre

latest catalogue

pfcdre

Hi all got the new Panarai catalogue this morning,wow its great takes a while to arrive,i been waiting about a month,but first thing i did is get my 088 gmt from robert,and my 288 chrono,to have a little compare,BLOODY HELL,they are spot on,

i had to involve my wife in the assesment,and she was amazed,especially when i showed her the included price list. First time i see her show any emotion about watches.I dont mean to de-value Gen Pans, or any other watch manufacturer, but apart from my reps not keeping pace with an atomic clock, and a few seconds a day does not bother me at all[or id buy all quartz]i have seen some reps actually as accurate as cosc certificated movements which swiss makers make a big deal about......So my conclusion is, in this day and age of manufacturing wizardry robots and machines with engineering tolerances of 0.0000001mm or whatever, how can some big name swiss watch makers still charge the prices they do. I know there are still the contempory artisans of fine watchmaking and understand the work involved, but the big guys im talking about,dare i say Omega and such like, i am started to see the light lol cheers

greg_r

I get the Panerai catalogue every year. It's dangerous. :)

KeNnY

I received today patek phillipe catalogue ! :)

cajarana

I'm waiting for the panerai catalogue too, did my order after easter, and did not receive yet.

pfcdre
I received today patek phillipe catalogue ! :)

thats a great book is it not Kenny i was very impressed with mine, its like a Patek bible

KeNnY

don't know now pfcdre, I am in work, but I will check it tomorrow ! :) I already failed :rofl: don't have free space to store all these CATALOGUES ! :rofl:

pfcdre
don't know now pfcdre, I am in work, but I will check it tomorrow ! :) I already failed :rofl: don't have free space to store all these CATALOGUES ! :rofl:

Well you will be greatly impressed mate its a great book i promise

powderfreak
i had to involve my wife in the assesment,and she was amazed,especially when i showed her the included price list. First time i see her show any emotion about watches.

You're lucky, very lucky to observe such a rare reaction :)

WebWind

Still waiting for my Omega catalogue :)

pfcdre
Still waiting for my Omega catalogue :(

Yes WebWind still waiting for mine also, and tag seem to be slow,Glaschutte said they would send me one with a dvd, not had that one yet and its been more than a month. Still its nice to have a collection of catalogues to browse through over a coffee. :thumbsup2:

sarkazz
So my conclusion is, in this day and age of manufacturing wizardry robots and machines with engineering tolerances of 0.0000001mm or whatever, how can some big name swiss watch makers still charge the prices they do. I know there are still the contempory artisans of fine watchmaking and understand the work involved, but the big guys im talking about,dare i say Omega and such like, i am started to see the light lol cheers

Well, that is quite simple my friend. Watch companies do not care who buys their watches, they care about the profit. So Rolex and Omega do not care about the divers at all, they care about Russian and Arabian millionaires. Even Blancpain, that decided to sell watch for 1mil to selected customer only after interview blablabla did that as a publicity stunt. When you look at the last decade, if you want to look for contemporary artisans of fine watchmaking, you should look at probably A. Lange, JLC, Seiko for spring drive, Tag Heuer in the last year. Rolex and Omega? Profit driven companies. You pay for Clooney, Kidman and Craig. It would be fun to look at Rolex/Omega financial statements and see what % of the price is marketing. Actually, you can even find interview with Franck Muller and he's bashing JLC for making tourbillon "affordable" for more people. He's 100% elitist and basically does not care whether his customers have any idea whatsoever about what's going on inside the watch. Watchmaking, like any business, is profit driven.

pfcdre
So my conclusion is, in this day and age of manufacturing wizardry robots and machines with engineering tolerances of 0.0000001mm or whatever, how can some big name swiss watch makers still charge the prices they do. I know there are still the contempory artisans of fine watchmaking and understand the work involved, but the big guys im talking about,dare i say Omega and such like, i am started to see the light lol cheers

Well, that is quite simple my friend. Watch companies do not care who buys their watches, they care about the profit. So Rolex and Omega do not care about the divers at all, they care about Russian and Arabian millionaires. Even Blancpain, that decided to sell watch for 1mil to selected customer only after interview blablabla did that as a publicity stunt. When you look at the last decade, if you want to look for contemporary artisans of fine watchmaking, you should look at probably A. Lange, JLC, Seiko for spring drive, Tag Heuer in the last year. Rolex and Omega? Profit driven companies. You pay for Clooney, Kidman and Craig. It would be fun to look at Rolex/Omega financial statements and see what % of the price is marketing. Actually, you can even find interview with Franck Muller and he's bashing JLC for making tourbillon "affordable" for more people. He's 100% elitist and basically does not care whether his customers have any idea whatsoever about what's going on inside the watch. Watchmaking, like any business, is profit driven.

Hi Sarkazz, thanks for your answer, quite informative, i completely agree,having to use high profile celebs is not portraying sophistication imo,puts me off actually, shame cheers :gayvikingmusic:

Cynikal.Mindset

FUCK panerai and them never sending me my catalogues!!!!!

pfcdre
FUCK panerai and them never sending me my catalogues!!!!!

lol youll get em mate im sure, when did you order, i must have ordered about 4 weeks ago,arrived this morning

Cynikal.Mindset

4 weeks, its been 3 months! hahahaha...oh yea fuck Omega too! bastard guys