Sign in to follow this  
KBH

Building a FrankenJust...in pictures.

KBH

Here's a re-post from earlier:

Thought this might be of interest to some folks here. I picked up a gen case and dial from the Bay - $220, Gen 18k crown from the Bay -$25, Eta clone movement $60 and an adapter ring from "Stilty" over on RWG.cc. Special thanks to Stilty. That adapter made it an easy swap.

Here's the new parts with my old DateJust from Joshua.

DSCN2476.jpg

Remove the crown and stem and the 2 retaining tabs, and then take out the movement.

DSCN2479.jpg

Take off the hands and dial.

DSCN2480.jpg

New dial and adapter ring ready to go. The 2 legs on the back of the dial have to be taken off and I used a couple of dabs of cement to attach the retaining ring to the dial. Allow to dry and clean thouroughly any excess.

DSCN2481.jpg

Movement is assembled and ready to go into the new gen case.

DSCN2482.jpg

Next we change the stem from rep crown to gen crown. Easy and a perfect fit.

DSCN2484.jpg

And, she's ready to go. Add a gen Daytona vintage band and gen 18k Rolex vintage clasp from the 70's, and you've got a (pretty much) genuine Rolex Datejust from the 60's - 70's era.

DSCN2485.jpg

DSCN2486.jpg

I love the vintage crystal. It's like looking into a pool of water when the light hits it just right.

DSCN2487.jpg

And the lug holes add a nice "vintage" touch.

DSCN2488.jpg

And one last one. Here's with a cheap TT bracelet. I guess I'll be looking a a real gold one soon. (Done!)

DSCN2491.jpg

Hope you enjoyed the show.....

greg_r

Man, that last shot is simply stunning. Great piece of Franken building too - thanks for sharing!

onzenuub

Great post, thanks.

pollux1

I was thinking the same thing Greg, that last shot is superb, I was thinking of building a franken Explorer but have been looking for a more dressy watch and that would fit the bill, maybe i'll try to build a frankenjust TT instead!

KBH

I was looking into that one also and it seems the rep cases that will fit a gen dial are either nonexistent or very hard to find.

Some people say that there are old model cases that are close enough to work. Like 1/2mm off.

Let me know if you find anything different.

trailboss99

Nice job! That's gotta be the cheapest DD ever. You could pay that for a rep! It looks just perfect on the strap and you'r never going to get called. I saw a gen MVT for this going cheap somwhere. I think it was up to about 108 bucks. Not that it needs it. I still can't get over what a bargin that is. What was the saving? six or eight grand?

Col.

oscarmadfish
:thumbsup:

KBH

The best is yet to come.

A preview of my next DJ. This one has a good story with it.

16013-face.jpg

graman

Sensational...can't wait for the next exciting episode...

trailboss99

KBH: BT explains the diference in cases in his latest piece at RWG2. You should still get a rep with the corect case if you move quick.

Col.

RolexAddict

That's what we need here, :drunksing::Jumpy::Jumpy:

this is great KBH, congrats!

fantastic pics, great job,

more I look these pics, more I love this hobby and Rolex watches,

I think after GMT and Cosmograph i will start with DJ, ss and tt :Jumpy:

KBH
KBH: BT explains the diference in cases in his latest piece at RWG2. You should still get a rep with the corect case if you move quick.

Col.

They don't get any more correct than these. :lol:

Demsey
I picked up a gen case and dial from the Bay - $220, Gen 18k crown from the Bay -$25, Eta clone movement $60

Wow, righteous!

Beautiful watch!

KBH

Lost track of that one. You're talking about Explorer, I guess. Like to find one of those old ones.

seventhexile

Wow Amazing stuff there KBH !

- Btw if you search the bay - theirs someone selling a gen explorer 1 dial for $200 or so.

KBH
Wow Amazing stuff there KBH !

- Btw if you search the bay - theirs someone selling a gen explorer 1 dial for $200 or so.

I passed up an old white Explorer II dial last week that needed lume (Vac or Rex). Went for $65. I'm just afraid I wouldn't be able to get a case to fit it.