Sign in to follow this  
anthonyd

Newbie needs a good cover story

anthonyd

Hi people ,

As a new owener of a replica breitling, I was wondering if any of you have a good cover story for people who ask about your watch.

While I am in a higher than normal salary bracket, most of the people that know me know that I also have kids could probably not justify the price of a real breitling, rolex,IWC etc...

I realise there is the one option to just say it is a replica, but who really wants to do that?

So when people compliment you on the watch, do you ait for them to ask if it is real, or do you come up with a plausible story on how you came to have it? Something like "oh this? Yeah I managed to pick it up at a deceased estate sale, I really got it for a steal!"

Nisv

I always say that they're replicas............but that's just me :)

houndoggie

be honest.

powderfreak

Tell 'em it what a present. If they ask about replica or gen, hand it over and say "I don't know, what do you think". If it's a good rep, people will assume it's gen :)

greg_r

Only time I've ever been asked if the watch was real was in a pub - I was wearing a cheapie Rolex DSSD at the time.

I just looked the guy in the eye and said "no, it's a fucking tattoo", which ended the conversation fairly quickly :)

If someone I knew asked me, I'd tell 'em it's a rep, but the situation has never arisen. Most folks will say "nice watch" and "thanks" is the only reply they need.

Simple fact of life: most people won't even notice the watch you're wearing. Of those that DO notice, most won't care whether it's rep, gen or made of cheese. :woo:

Aren

I am in favor of honesty, but also...why would you volunteer information without being asked?

Give it to yourself as a gift. People don't ask gen or rep about gifts.

Just remove your lovely watch and let the admirer look at it.

Don't worry. Enjoy your watch(es).

:)

Takken

I'm not sure about this, but I guess it's different from place to place, at my work there are nobody that cares even slightly what you have or have not on the wrist. Should someone take a good look on a replica/gen watch I have they most likely would just say "ohh nice watch", but never even think about what brand it was or wasn't.

But we are all people & different too, so for someone status and a good facade is important - but always keep in mind that the truth will prevail some day.

Best regards from

Norway

HWG
Only time I've ever been asked if the watch was real was in a pub - I was wearing a cheapie Rolex DSSD at the time.

I just looked the guy in the eye and said "no, it's a fucking tattoo", which ended the conversation fairly quickly ;)

If someone I knew asked me, I'd tell 'em it's a rep, but the situation has never arisen. Most folks will say "nice watch" and "thanks" is the only reply they need.

Simple fact of life: most people won't even notice the watch you're wearing. Of those that DO notice, most won't care whether it's rep, gen or made of cheese. ;)

+1. I was wearing a Breitling SO, (the one I recently sold here), and a customer said hey, nice Superocean, I have the same one. I just smiled, said thanks, I like it as well, and continued helping the customer. No need to get into Gen vs Rep.

flottiglia

I've never been asked to be honest but if i was i'd just say it was good copy.I mod watches too so if it was one of those i'd just say i built it !

Don't see a lot of point in saying its gen,sometime somewhere you'll meet someone who knows their watches and look a bit daft !

KeNnY
gen or made of cheese. ;)

HUBLOT ? ;)

greg_r
gen or made of cheese. ;)

HUBLOT ? ;)

Bizactly ;)

Jackal0718
Hi people ,

As a new owener of a replica breitling, I was wondering if any of you have a good cover story for people who ask about your watch.

While I am in a higher than normal salary bracket, most of the people that know me know that I also have kids could probably not justify the price of a real breitling, rolex,IWC etc...

I realise there is the one option to just say it is a replica, but who really wants to do that?

So when people compliment you on the watch, do you ait for them to ask if it is real, or do you come up with a plausible story on how you came to have it? Something like "oh this? Yeah I managed to pick it up at a deceased estate sale, I really got it for a steal!"

Or how bout "a co-worker lost betting d watch". Or "a friend had to pawn it".

schmooze

if you're uncomfortable admitting it's a rep, tell them it's a gift. I have 2 highend Gens and about 15 highend reps and a few design pieces and the only one that always gets a comment is this fossil watch designed by Philippe Starke.

Nothing wrong with highend Reps. Wouldn't it be wonderful to flaunt a Shelby Cobra rep.

philippestarckwatch.jpg

solkryssare

If a complete stranger would have the nerve and lack of good manners to ask me if my watch was fake, Id tell him its gen. For the only reason that people like that would loooove for it not to be. And Im not going to give them that satisfaction. To people I know or have talked with for a while, I say its a rep.

trailboss99

Random punter: "Is that real?"

Me: "Of cause it's a real watch, tells the time and everything!"

That usually ends that PDQ.

Col.

DW-Watches

I don't remember who said this originally, but it's my favorite:

"Nice Rolex, is it real?"

"Umm I dunno, are your wife's tits real?"

NullMind
I don't remember who said this originally, but it's my favorite:

"Nice Rolex, is it real?"

"Umm I dunno, are your wife's tits real?"

LOL .. I'll use that one !!! :lol:

Luthier

"AS real AS your wife's tits".

:)

Baldrick

WTF, it's only a Breitling, not a Patek or Vacheron, they're well within the price range of anybody holding down a regular job, or even on welfare, tell 'em to mind their own fucking business, if someone asks, give them a disdainful look and tell them that you don't discuss personal matters with strangers, if it's a friend, ditch them, true friends don't make judgement calls on their friends :)

opus9
Tell 'em it what a present. If they ask about replica or gen, hand it over and say "I don't know, what do you think". If it's a good rep, people will assume it's gen :)

+ best way.

It's funny..because all my life i have worn a gen submariner..when i turned up at the pub in my dssd..people just said..oh you bought yourself a new one...are you selling your old sub..how much do u want for it!!...i just smile,drink my beer and laugh inside..

regards

opus9

Ska

Unless asked I tend to say as little as possible about my reps, however if asked directly, my usual response is to take it off, hand it to them and say "What do you think?"

So far not one person has come back saying its a rep. In fact I wore my Daytona from Mary into Mappin & Webb, My local AD last week to try on the new Omega constellation. I put my watch on the counter in front of me and my heart stopped when the woman picked it up, loupe in hand and preceded to scrutinise the dial.

I've been in that shop wearing various reps perhaps 20 times and have never once had that happen.

without blinking she looked up after a few seconds and just said, "what a beautiful example"

99.99999% of people, even those who sell watches for a living know FUCK ALL about them.

most decent reps will fool just about anyone.

The only other thing I'd say is that your persona and appearance in general go a long way towards convincing people you're wearing a gen. If you dress like a chav and go around wearing a gold Datejust people are going to think its a rep (or you're a drug dealer)

narikaa

Breitling

Tell em you bought it new while you were on welfare

Caliper

The question is a bit tricky, I just got my first rep so I haven't been asked, but I will probably say it's a rep if it's someone I know and trust and they ask.

There's the other side of the question when it's a gen.

I have been asked a lot by my gens. Usually they go, "Nice watch, how much did it cost?" I for one, never like to say how much things cost, specially if they're a bit expensive. Trust me, telling someone you're wearing a +4000USD watch on your wrist will not make them feel happy about you.

I just take it off, show it to them and tell them, "Thank you, I really like it. It was enough and I got it for a special occasion", most people assume a nice watch costs about 500-1000 and would feel offended if you just blurt out it costs more than their mortgage.

Edited by Caliper

chum_2000_uk

As others have said, very few people know about watches so you'll rarely even get quizzed about it. Even those that do know about them don't generally know enough to call you out as wearing a rep.

I went to an exposition with work this week, lots of contractors there trying to sell us new and fancy military vehicles. As you can imagine, lots of these contractors were wearing Rolex, Breitlings etc. most gen I'm sure. I made a point of checking my SMP chrono a couple of times while chatting with some of these guys - I think a couple noticed I was wearing the Omega, as after checking I glanced back up to carry on talking to them and they had their eyes still on my wrist. No way they would have been able to call it a fake. To be honest I'd not have been able to see their watches close enough to tell either.

I mentioned the Rolex presence on the various contractors wrists to the fella from my office who I was there with, his response was "oh right..."

He earns plenty of money, and could easily afford a Rolex if he wanted, but he clearly had no interest whatsoever in those watches. Although, I have caught him having a sneaky glance at my Tag Carrera every now and then when I've been chatting with him. Maybe he's just a Tag man!

Edited by chum_2000_uk

Bentex

I tell the truth and say it's a replica...however I don't flash it off to everyone. I have it under my shirt.

The watch is really for me, not for anyone else to compliment me on it.

Edited by Bentex