Sign in to follow this  
tekilla

Removing Links

tekilla

OK, newbie question here. I did a quick search and just found too many topics to know where to start....

When my watches arrive from Mary, will it be easy to remove the links myself? If hypothetically, I take them to a high street jewellers - when/if they realise they're reps, what is the likely outcome? I know this would be a daft thing to do.

Thanks,

JB

tesmith2112

It really depends on the watch. If you bought a rolex, then it's not an issue at all because they use small threaded screws. If you bought an Omega you'll need a special pin tool, which is easy to buy. As far as having the bracelet sized at a jewelers, I would advise against it. If anything, remove the bracelet then only take the bracelet in. Again, buying the tools is the best option.

Here's a set for for less than $8.

http://www.amazon.com/16-PCS-Watch-Tool-Kit/dp/B000T9VK56

pollux1

It's probably best to take the watch to a small watch stall, the kind of guy replacing watch batteries and such like, he prob won't notice it's rep, DO NOT TAKE IT ANYWHERE NEAR AN AD, best to keep this little hobby as much under the radar as possible. :)

chum_2000_uk

Just buy a pin pusher tool mate, I find the screw type the best. Just take your time when pushing the pins out as it's easy to bend or snap the pusher pin if you are not careful.

It's hardly rocket science though - a couple of attempts and you'll be a pro, plus it beats having to pay a few quid every time you want to resize a bracelet - they pay for themselves.

IMO, and I think many others here will say the same, it pays to learn a new few skills and basic watch maintenance if you get into this hobby. There are plenty of knowledgeable chaps here who can point you in the right direction, so keep reading, and asking those questions and you'll reach rep nirvana in no time.

Oh and the pin pusher tool in the top right of the picture in tesmith's link is the screw type I was talking about. I have a cheapy (but decent enough) one of those that I have used for years now, and it's done a great job.

Edited by chum_2000_uk

tekilla

Thank you very much for the advice so far and I'll definitely avoid any type of authorised dealer for removing links. I'll check out that link and may even make a purchase - it'll be an investment I'm sure.

MikeMcNair

got this little gem off ebay, prolly 5-6 ucks, and 12 different sized pusher heads. worth EVERY PENNY!!!! do NOT get the plastic blue one they sell all of the place, it sucks. the metal one is the way to go.

a9efe89a.jpg

SamGold

yeah, i got the plastic one and as soon as the pin pusher gets a tiny bit of resistance the whole thing bends. im just using the black, a pusher tool and small hammer, much prefer that to the pusher.

SeanusMaximus

I just stick to screw-pins or leather straps to keep life easy :D