Sign in to follow this  
new2watches

Opinions on the Tag Heuer Grand Carrera Caliber 17

new2watches

Hi guys, after serveral days lurking the forums till 5 in the morning, I feel I'm ready to take the plunge.

Specifically, I'm thinking the Tag Heuer Grand Carrera Caliber 17. Brown strap and dial with SS case.

This one, to be precise... http://www.watch-international.com/index.p...products_id=391

Original here... http://www.prestigetime.com/item/Tag-Heuer...11e.fc6231.html

I've visited the AD and had a look at the gen and I must say it looks really good. I've a few concerns however, that I hope someone can help me with.

The case on the gen, also steel, looks to be alot better polished than the one in the pictures I've seen. Do the pictures lie?

Do you think I would be able to polish the case by my ownself should the itch arise?

I'd also like some general opinions on the watch, especialy the reported thickness. I've got really small wrists - about 6 1/4 inches.

Would you think it's going to be a monster on my wrist? It seems I'll probably have to get all my shirt cuffs altered.

Any other issues I should be aware of but may have missed out?

Lastly, I am almost set on asking Mary but do you guys have any suggestions otherwise on someone who can supply a better version?

greg_r

Mary's top version is the same as anybody else's top version. It's not a perfect rep, but it's pretty damned good nonetheless.

Photos I've seen have shown a high polish on the case - it's probably just the lighting in Mary's photo. By the way, DON'T buy from her site. Drop her an email with a pic of the watch and tell her you're a member here. You may get a better price that way.

Monsieur_B
Mary's top version is the same as anybody else's top version. It's not a perfect rep, but it's pretty damned good nonetheless.

Photos I've seen have shown a high polish on the case - it's probably just the lighting in Mary's photo. By the way, DON'T buy from her site. Drop her an email with a pic of the watch and tell her you're a member here. You may get a better price that way.

+1 Great watch.

new2watches

What about initial servicing, oiling, etc. I am not sure I am up to the task of doing that myself yet. Is it really crucial to do it or can I skip that step till I read up a bit more first?

Or should I just get someone to do it for me?

ZellerFTW

Seconds @ 3 on a 7750 is a real worry unless you can get it serviced.

new2watches

Could you describe it for me please? I've been looking and I thought it was a problem with sec@6?

ZellerFTW

Could you describe it for me please? I've been looking and I thought it was a problem with sec@6?

Anything other than seconds @ 9 is risky... The mods the Chinese did to move it to other positions adds like 10+ new gears. Combine that with lack of proper assembly and oiling and you've got yourself a recipe for failure. :)

If you buy this watch, I'd immediately send it to Mike McNair (he has his own subforum here) for a service. As some say, that will at least give this watch a fighting chance at long-term survival.

powderfreak

Even when serviced I won't trust any modified A7750s. There's just too much that could go wrong, esp. if you want to use the chrono from time to time.

You might want to look for a watch that you want with seconds at 9.

Just forgot: A friend really wanted that watch and I got it for him not too long ago, I will report if it fails :lol:

new2watches
Even when serviced I won't trust any modified A7750s. There's just too much that could go wrong, esp. if you want to use the chrono from time to time.

You might want to look for a watch that you want with seconds at 9.

Just forgot: A friend really wanted that watch and I got it for him not too long ago, I will report if it fails :lol:

I just got a reply from Mary and the price seems about right. Is there anything I should specifically ask or clarify before confirmation?

Also, would anyone recommend a box set? I don't know if that is necessary since I do not plan on scamming anyone on EBay.

Hmm... maybe.

greg_r

For some reason, the secs@3 mod is less troublesome than secs@6 or 9. It's still a concern, but reports suggest that this particular watch is a lot more reliable than secs@6 or secs@12 7750s

Having said that, if it was for me I'd probably buy this particular watch in quartz, but then I'm paranoid. Ask anyone! :lol:

Luthier

2 years, and no any problems. Never serviced. But, maybe, I'm just lucky. Yes, it's from Mary.

P1020056.jpg

powderfreak

[...]

I just got a reply from Mary and the price seems about right. Is there anything I should specifically ask or clarify before confirmation?

Also, would anyone recommend a box set? I don't know if that is necessary since I do not plan on scamming anyone on EBay.

Hmm... maybe.

Better save your bucks and buy a nice watchbox for say for our six watches - sooner or later you will need one. The fake ones aren't that good and they only make sense if you 1) want to scam folks or 2) want to place them on the cupboard to impress guests.

new2watches

[...]

Hmm... maybe.

Better save your bucks and buy a nice watchbox for say for our six watches - sooner or later you will need one. The fake ones aren't that good and they only make sense if you 1) want to scam folks or 2) want to place them on the cupboard to impress guests.

That's what I thought. But hey, you never know, I might have someone over 1) get impressed and I could 2)scam them and sell it to them cheap...

So no box then. I have a "box" made by fitting one of my drawers with some foam and covering it with felt. Enough room for my watches, pens and cufflinks; with the option to reorganize whenever.

Back to the topic, anyone think this watch is going to be too big and thick for my 6 1/4 in wrists?

gmchris

from original post;

I'd also like some general opinions on the watch, especialy the reported thickness. I've got really small wrists - about 6 1/4 inches.

Would you think it's going to be a monster on my wrist? It seems I'll probably have to get all my shirt cuffs altered.

I'm confused by this, speaking as someone who wears £7 shirts from Asda (Walmart)- if i could afford to alter all my shirts (assuming they were good enough quality to bother) i'd be shopping for a gen not a rep! :lol:

Nice choice of watch by the way, i'm thinking of a Tag myself.

Rav747

i bought the same one from Mary for my brother with white dial and brown leather strap and works like a charm. He's had it for over a year now and its his fav watch, over the detora and 36rs.

You will love it!

nunu78

thats one of my fav. tag n most fav. watch and my 1st rep.Got it even b4 joining this board ,got it serviced from Robert since then works like a charm.

new2watches
from original post;

I'm confused by this, speaking as someone who wears £7 shirts from Asda (Walmart)- if i could afford to alter all my shirts (assuming they were good enough quality to bother) i'd be shopping for a gen not a rep! :)

Nice choice of watch by the way, i'm thinking of a Tag myself.

I get my shirts made for about $150 each. The left cuff is specifically measured to just fit with my (biggest) watch on. The right cuff, without compensating for a watch, is naturally slightly narrower.

So far, the watches I've had were relatively thin, and so I worry if I get a watch too thick, I'd have to spend a buttload of money on alterations.

Thanks for the comments though. I think I just needed the validation to make myself feel comfortable buying.

jonnyboy

Tag Heuer makes for great first buys. I still wear my brown Carrera daily and the contrast between the metal and the reddish brown dial makes for a beautiful watch.

NFleischer

I had one and it died after about 2 years or so. Besides the sec@3 issue, they use a rotating disk

sytem which adds more problems. They are nice but wear very big and bulky.

Perhaps you would consider the Carrera Day/Date or new Aquaracer 500M if you like Tags.

The plain ole' Tachymetre chrono is nice too- and quite cheap, under $200 @ Asian 7750 I think.

MikeMcNair

Aaaahhhhh, the calibre 17!

I have MUCH experience with this watch, and as Greg said, it is for some reason more reliable than other 7750's. After building one from scratch, I can tell you the gears seem more "direct" and perhaps that's why it works well with the sec @3.

I will tell you this tho: if it ever needs repair, I have EVERY PART for it, most in duplicate, and the last one I did was absolutely destroyed after 1 yr of wear (daily)

If I had had the watch in advance for a full service (including graphite lube) it would have been 5 years before it failed.

Ironically, I'm pretty sure that was the first 7750 I ever tore down, and I made something very special out of it. The customer (and I) were both very pleased with the outcome.

I'll post pix in a few.....

MikeMcNair

here ya go.......

heres a bunch of pix of the watch is various states, its a shame im missing a few pix, cause i have one with EVERY SINGLE PART laid out in the order it was taken off, and its pretty impressive to see.

before.......

0ffe2fcc.jpg

after......

22298c17.jpg

a quick vid of the working.......

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f26/mich...th_8838314d.jpg

b57aff2f.jpg

0e8f0f09.jpg

notice the different sec wheels (black and grey)

94c49bfc.jpg

d33e4093.jpg

3b144ad0.jpg

d10b004c.jpg

8f6adc63.jpg

393acb45.jpg

0778cf53.jpg

2b265327.jpg

dc12290d.jpg

96c4c70e.jpg

ffe2d5c1.jpg

new2watches

So guys, I recently ordered and paid for the watch with a 7750 28800bph movement.

The TD just got back to me saying the item is out of stock and offered to swap it for a 21600bph instead.

Can anyone help me with an opinion? Is there any difference in the quality, reliability and price?