Sign in to follow this  
Pohoho

Did I break something in my Getat Radiomir?

Pohoho

Sad to report that the crown on my Radiomir came off a few days ago. Pushed it back it in and was able to use it for a while.

crownout.th.jpg

crownin.th.jpg

Now it had gone worse the situation is such that when I pull it out to do time adjustment, it doesn't engage the hour hand anymore, and the crown stem just keeps coming off. Or in the further than "out" position (for time adjustment) I was able to do the hand winding on this Asian Unitas movement.

The crown stem looked fine in the sense that nothing seems broken). Hope I didn't break something inside.

Any chance that I an amateur like me with simple watch tools can repair this?

Really hate to send it back to Getat hospital and go through the infamous waiting game again.

Edited by Pohoho

MikeMcNair

Where do you live? If in US chris or I could fix the keyless easily.

If in EU, talk to KenNy

Cheers

Michael

sconehead

If you're ok removing the case back you'll notice this screw here.

This is the stem release screw, normally you would loosen it no more than two to three turns. Seeing as your stem has already worked it's way out we must presume the screw was already loose/not tightened properly.

What I'd do is loosen it say one turn and slowly re-insert the stem gently with a slight twisting motion until you feel it go all the way home. Then tighten it up and test it's functioning correctly. It might take a couple of attempts to get it right.

However, after a few failed attempts, if it seems it's not going to work at all, it may mean the keyless works needs re-assembling...good luck...;)

20062009045.jpg

Pohoho

Thanks guys, didn't realized with this new revamp of the forum I don't get notified even though it was set to "on" previously.

I'm in Singapore and Tat is still the nearest :-(

I have a three adjustable three pin case opener which can't be used to open the hexagonal case back.

Any household alternative that might do the job?

rsea

Duct tape gaffer tape etc etc will get it off

Pohoho

Thanks Rsea! A big lump of Blue Tack will did it for me ^_^

Not sure if I did it good enough, it will take a few like bounce and push in the "Ready to Screw Down" Position to disengage the winding. Or sometimes I will just screw the crown back on where after a few round of turning it will hear the disengaging "click" sound.

Thank again guys. You saved me from being ripped of US$35 for this simple job, which a local watch repair guys will do with "cleaning of the movement", or the dreadful wait should it need to check in at Getat hospital.

Happy New Year guys!

10:10 Watch Repair

Thank again guys. You saved me from being ripped of US$35 for this simple job, which a local watch repair guys will do with "cleaning of the movement"

:Whistle:

MikeMcNair

Thank again guys. You saved me from being ripped of US$35 for this simple job, which a local watch repair guys will do with "cleaning of the movement"

:Whistle:

Ripped off? Hhmmmmm. We see how you operate don't we chris......

Pohoho

Mike, I hope you don't operate like him.

He was so sheepish about the whole thing that he didn't even dare to look me in the eyes when he quoted the charges. The extras are to justify his pricing. He already asked and was told it only 6 months old so I don't need other servicing than the repair.

If he name it as his minimum labor charge, then leave me to decide if this still economical to go ahead, then that's fairer.

Pohoho

Hi Sconehead:

It does seem like the keyless works needs a reassembling. The time adjustment will only disengage when I screw in the crown to the last few round before fully tight.

While it does looks rather simple on video, I'm mindful of the wise saying "the devil is in the details".

It seems like most of the keyless works re-assembling are on the side nearer to the dial only or would it be almost a full strip and assemble? Your expert advice please?

Really hate to go without this watch for a long while since I can only work on it at night while the kids are sleeping....