Sign in to follow this  
Member X

Seiko SRP043K1 'Spork' - should I, shouldn't I...

Member X

Well, I was walking by the window of a local Jewellery store the other day and I stopped to look at the watches. I spotted that they had "Seiko - 50% off all watches"! and it made me think "hmm, it's not in the window but I wonder if..."

I duly walked in and found out that the 50% off only applied to the ones in the window (annoying...) but that they could do 25% off the price of a SRP043K1 'Spork':

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=E5jekuTBzKA

SRP043K14R15027.jpg

which takes the price down to about £225.

That's at least £100 off the RRP of £325 that other places are still charging, and seems to be about as cheap as it gets unless you order online (which then bumps back up to about £225 with shipping etc).

So, should I??

I can't afford it and it would have to go on the plastic, but it is a) quite cheap for what it is, and b ) it would be a watch I could wear that I knew was waterproof and could take a beating, which I'm never 100% confident of with reps...

Decisions!! lol

All persuasion / realism much appreciated ;):lol:

onionbag

It's a no-brainer...go for it! ;)

Silverspeed

"I can't afford it"..........there's a good hint :)

No offence meant, but if you have better ways to spend your money....buying a watch instead doesn't sound like agood idea, no matter how nice the deal is

Mazz

Do It Sekios rock. Can't go wrong there.

Member X

I think they're discontinuing them?

http://jikanwatch.bl...iko-srp043.html

So perhaps I should, as they are impossible to find secondhand unless you're very lucky, it seems :(

EDIT: It seems they have discontinued them!!

http://watchfreeks.com/view_topic.php?id=20352&forum_id=25

in particular: http://watchfreeks.com/view_post.php?post_id=265629

Here is the response i just received from Seiko Japan by email-

Our Ref. 25327

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your E-mail message and we are glad to learn of your interest in our products.

However, we regretfully inform you that we no longer manufacture of SRP043K1 since April 2011.

We would appreciate your understanding and your continued patronage of SEIKO watches.

With best regards,

CS Dept.

SEIKO WATCH CORPORATION

So I think I will ignore my head and sensible Silverspeed, even though I should heed their warnings, and go with my heart - I've always liked it and I know from past experience that if I don't go for something I really like when I can, I regret it for ages!!

pollux1

Sensibility is, as the name implies always the correct way, however if you can pay it off within the month then go for it, can't go wrong with a Seiko. :)

Crusader

I'm also looking for discounted (or free) Seiko 007 right now :D Same idea as you, water proof and can take up some beating.

I think that is good price, I would go for it if I was after that model.

Tits McGee
Stargate002.jpg

gazzy

My problem with buying a watch like that would be that I'd get bored of it,what's it worth then? A rep always seems to have a decent value on the member sales when you've had enough of it and,for everyday use I have a couple of reps with quartz movement,don't cost a fortune and reliable.

chum_2000_uk

My problem with buying a watch like that would be that I'd get bored of it,what's it worth then? A rep always seems to have a decent value on the member sales when you've had enough of it and,for everyday use I have a couple of reps with quartz movement,don't cost a fortune and reliable.

Have to agree with that. I've had a few Seiko's. Very good watches no doubt, in fact I went back to them when the funds were low after owning a few gen Omegas (before discovering reps). But for me now, reps of nice gens and gens is where it's at. I have told myself I will get a nice gen again thats worth a few G's in the next few years for sure.

rhounsell

I have a couple Seikos and I've enjoyed them. I would agree that you do get tired of them (like any watch I guess) and the resale value will not be there, but it's not a big investment so I say BUY BUY BUY!

Member X

I hear what you're saying but I'm kind of buying this with my heart rather than my head - I love the B&R dial combined with the fact it's not a bulky square case like a B&R is, and I have been looking at these in the window for as long as I can remember (possibly even before I found reps) so if I don't I will regret it and struggle to find one secondhand in the future.

At least that's the justification to myself, anyway :D lol

We will see. The shop may have sold it!

narikaa

Sporkilicious

IMG_3432.jpg

Sported mine quite a bit before I threw it on the pile with all the others

definitely prefer it over the Orange & Black Monsters (never really gelled with those bezels which are kinda 'floral' with their petal like contours)

IMG_1326.jpg

watch.aholic

The Spork is a beautiful watch.....It looks great on the bracelet and looks even better on a tan leather strap.....there are tons of pics of the combos on WUS.....I have one on my mind but there always a rep that jumps in from nowhere resulting in the delay of the inevitable Spork purchase.......For the price, I think Seikos are bulletproof quality and they look much more expensive than they really are....

greg_r

I keep meaning to buy a Seiko of some sort - just to use as a daily beater. I never seem to be able to make my mind up which one, though.... :huh:

trailboss99

I keep meaning to buy a Seiko of some sort - just to use as a daily beater. I never seem to be able to make my mind up which one, though.... :huh:

tell me when you do :Whistle:

wat44

spring drive - thats wat I would choose

greg_r

tell me when you do :Whistle:

LOL - I will, mate, I will. Might be a while though - three reps this month has depleted the Seiko fund a bit ;)

Member X

Well, I now have a bag from Ernest Jones sitting under my desk so I'll let you decide exactly how weak I am... ;):lol:

Can't wait to try it on, lume looks awesome even under part-shade from my hand, so will size it properly later and get some pics! :D

Member X

Quick and dirty pic, complete with dust and fluff! :lol:

20120109003a.jpg

20120110002a.jpg

20120110003a.jpg

The lume is ridiculous :thumbsup:

bklynboy

Nice pick up X

If need be you can always sell it on WUS

guitarbiker

Nice purchase ! i had been looing at this latest seiko model but at £ 325 thought no way but then happened by chance to see it in GOLDSMITHS window at £165 so snapped it up, when i got home i noticed a few light scratches so i reckon it was a display or returned item, sorted with cape cod.

jacket.jpg

webcam pic sorry!

Member X

Nice pick up, looks substantial!

I'm guessing quartz? Should last for years of wear and tear :)

guitarbiker

Yes it is quartz, heavy though, a bit like a chronomat !

solkryssare

That is one handsome diver! Great pick up. One Im sure you wont regret