Sign in to follow this  
pjay

Would you sell your collection to have one Gen?

P4GTR

I'm a greedy whore, I have to have both. :wub:

Frankt8242

I sold this pair of gen's to fund my rep collection @ 5 years ago:

P1030530.jpg

but i did hang onto a bunch of my old vintage stuff, and this Omega:

IMG_5381.jpg

Which I wear whenever I feel the need to be wearing a recognizable gen watch...

But at 39mm it just feels so frikkin tiny!!!

GeekLuvin

I don't think I could every do it. I like variety too much!

Burning Rubber
Rodders

Nice Tele in ur avy btw ;)

Cheers ... it's a james trussart tele - if you're into guitars check out his website - there's some cool stuff on there :)

yes... Smoke On The Water has never sounded so good..... :shutup:

baxter
Rodders

Nice Tele in ur avy btw ;)

Cheers ... it's a james trussart tele - if you're into guitars check out his website - there's some cool stuff on there :)

yes... Smoke On The Water has never sounded so good..... :shutup:

:lmao:

deju

I personally think the longer I spend here the less I want Gen watches...

I have a Gen (pre cool) £500 UBoat quartz but I'm happier having a variety of watches and a watch case to sit and look at them in.

The two Gen watches that I was going to get were a Rolex Milgauss and a Cartier tank but you can get good enough replica's of them. I think if I was to get a Gen it would have to be a watch with flaws I couldn't live with like the breitling navitimer. But its a watch I see as an old man watch, still a few years to go for me yet haha!

Also the hassles of owning a Gen and the costs of servicing and poor AD service that I have seen my parents get...Really makes me prefer the idea of replica's.

Currently looking to find a BR03-88 to add to my collection having seen the rep vs Gen review.

cuddilyteddy

As I own both I think its easy. I wouldn't trade or sell any for anyother. The reason I get them as I wanted the ones I have. If for some reason all of your watches is worth less to you than that one gen than do it. I have gens I absolutely love and reps I absolutely love. I get rid of both when I am not wanting them anymore or don't feel the same way about them as when I got them. I think this is one of those questions that you have to ask yourself is this one watch, including the fact that it is a gen, worth all your other watches. I dont think anyone can tell you how much you prefer gens over reps or how much you care.

jeffrx

I'm pretty sure you are asking a biased audience here. There was a discussion on Styleforum about replica watches and the responses were not very kind. Having said that, I'd rather have 10 nice reps than 1 OK gen any day.

1littlegreen

Nope.... I have gens and they are in rotation. If I was broke, nope, I would sell a gen or two first due to the quicker money and actually wouldn't be missed very much.

So......NOPE

yawn

For small brands like Graham I get gen cos the quality of rep isn't up there and there isn't much incentive for rep factory to make perfect clone cos smaller market demand, and for poplar brands like Pam and rolex, I get high quality gen and oem or customized strap.

moredhel

I would, if the resulting gen was a JLC gyro-tourbillon.

gyro-tourbillon-pinkgold.jpg

So until the amassed value of my reps can get that with maintenance for the next 15 years, I'm with RWG.

:noway:

moredhel

Sorry how do I resize the picture?

Ndru
You lose a lot more with gen watch (servicing/value loss) and gain a whole lot more wearing a rep.

This sums it up for me.

I've had a couple of Tags in the past, both of which I sold as they looked good but weren't comfortable on the wriste after a while. I lost about a third of their value in resale on ebay. Second hand dealers won't give you much either.

In terms of lifecycle costs, I once had to replace one of the leather bands on one of my gen Tags after it looked pretty ugly after a few years from sweat staining and the stitching coming loose. $250 for the new band from the dealer! Also, the gold bezel looked terrible after a few years of the occasional scratch and nick. I took my other gen Tag for a basic dealer service and that was around $250 as well IIRC. After selling I virtually swore off swiss gens and stuck with good Citizens and Seikos, which have been reliable and functional watches although a bit dull in the style department. That changed when a friend recently showed me the surprising quality of his reps. He's had one rep that's been running non-stop since he bought it 3 years ago. Until he showed me his rep I'd only seen crappy and very obvious reps brought back from Thailand or Bali by my holidaying relatives.

After having bought a few quality reps myself now I can say I'd only ever buy a high end gen if it was really something special that I new I'd be happy to wear all the time and was prepared to pay the high jewellery insurance premium in case it was lost or stolen as well as the servicing costs. As others have said, I can buy 10 decent reps for the price of a couple of gens and be spoilt for choice on what to wear to match my clothes or event. And if I get tired of the rep I'm sure I can sell it to another rep buyer without taking a massive hit in depreciation.

12lurk

I have one gen (PAM 320) which I love and has some sentimental value. My father and younger brother have had many reps over the years I was never impressed by the quality (typical holiday watch).

I got into reps recently because I was thinking of eventually getting a 380 and wanted to see if I liked wearing it. Instead I bought a 292 and discovered this community. Now I am hooked and have spent all the money I was saving for the 380 on reps. I have no regrets as I Nov have some variety and I get to wear pieces like the AP diver V3 without worrying (to much) about scratching them.

Would I sell all of my reps to get my dream gen? Not at this point as I am still discovering what my dream gen is with the help of my reps.

replicastuff

The quality of the reps now are so amazing, could you justify the extra 2 or 3 times the cost for a gen. My initial thought were to buy reps to get an idea of what I like then to commit to one gen. Funnily enough on my journey, I've found some reps are are better then the gens that I've tried on.

So at the moment no for me, unless I had money to burn.

hnic

yes i would and i will! :)

sardonix

With christmas i wear a rep and i liked it

eD5EE.jpg

Today i wear a gen and i like it

oYenf.jpg

I like nice watches, rep or gen.

Only buy a gen once in a while when they are special or discontinued and hold value.

Bash64

Nope.

I like variety. One watch is not enough for me. And the regular service on a gen is too expensive.

My rep watch collection would run me over $400,000 in the gen world. Just doesn't make sense.

arancini

Own as many Gens as I do Reps.

Would never sell one to fund a Rep.

In general, the Reps are so inexpensive.

thunder92

I would sell my wife, even for a Silix special...

send me a pic. Maybe we can trade wifes :)

fe22ari

Came close to both a Liquid Metal and DSSD, had them on my wrist and was tempted buy 0% finance. But no, and why? I try to kid myself that i buy reps because of their classic design values not posing value. With reps I can own ALL the ones that appeal for aesthetic reasons

ABCAlways

Having some gens... Ulysse Nardin Quadrato, Rolex Sub, Dubey & Schaldenbrand Gran Chrono Astro, and Maurice Lacroix Masterpiece Skeleton. Also, having some reps... AP Juan Pablo Montoya Platinum, Panerai 341, Hublot Big Bang Evo red gold, B&R Br-02, and Ebel 1911. From a financial perspective, the only way I would sell my reps is if I knew that the gen was more expensive (in the used market) than all of my reps. Some of these reps are made very well and I constantly rotate the reps and gens I wear on a frequent basis. Therefore, if the gen was not more expensive, I would keep my reps.

ABCAlways

Having some gens... Ulysse Nardin Quadrato, Rolex Sub, Dubey & Schaldenbrand Gran Chrono Astro, and Maurice Lacroix Masterpiece Skeleton. Also, having some reps... AP Juan Pablo Montoya Platinum, Panerai 341, Hublot Big Bang Evo red gold, B&R Br-02, and Ebel 1911. From a financial perspective, the only way I would sell my reps is if I knew that the gen was more expensive (in the used market) than all of my reps. Some of these reps are made very well and I constantly rotate the reps and gens I wear on a frequent basis. Therefore, if the gen was not more expensive, I would keep my reps.

erok68

I would never sell my reps for a new gen, have some gen Breitlings, rolex and iwc and my best moded reps is here to stayajasagu2.jpgsu8eru8e.jpg

Inside my homemade watchcase behind one of my pictures.

To all the good dealers on the forums,,,,, you have been wery nice to me and deserve RESPECT

If you ever starttaking things too seriously,,, just remember that we are TALKING monkeys on an organic spaceship flying through the universe..........;-)

erok68

y2u8u2an.jpg

y4ahaqu6.jpg

If you ever starttaking things too seriously,,, just remember that we are TALKING monkeys on an organic spaceship flying through the universe..........;-)