Sign in to follow this  
Farminho

GMT - which movement asian 2836 or A21J

Farminho

Afternoon all,

Just looking for a bit of advice really. I'm about to order one of timeshops' GMT master II's, but after reading around a little there are reports of the movement being a bit 'iffy' on non-A21J models?

I'd prefer to get the smooth second hand of asian 2836 even if it costs a little more, but not if it's unreliable. If A21J is more reliable I'll just pay less and go for that one.

Sorry if I'm being a buffoon, still new to a lot of this - but keen to learn!

Cheers,

F

andykusiak

Hi mate,

Ive got it with the ETA and never had a problem with it, its a lovely watch - although i never seem to wear it. Just had it serviced, re-lumed, and waterproofed.

If your interested PM me as im thinking of letting it go soon.

Cheers,

Andy

King

I'm one of those who have voiced complaints ...

I have the Timeshop GMT II-C with the A2836. It's a beautiful watch at a great price, keeps great time, solid watch, etc. But occasionally (probably every third time or so) the GMT hand doesn't move after I set it. I then have to "tinker" with it to get the GMT hand to reengage and start up again -- Pull out the crown, set the GMT hand, and reset the watch. I can always get the GMT hand to move again, but it occasionally can be a pain in the balls.

On the other hand, I have an explorer II with a 21J and a PAM 252 with a 7750, and I've had no problems whatsover with the GMT hands on either of those watches. Robert (RIP) always recommended the GMT/21J combo as the most reliable, and that's been my experience as well. So I'd probably opt for the reliability of the 21J instead of the slightly smoother sweep of the 2836 in the GMT II-C, but that's just me. They're both great watches for the price.

WatchnScotch

I went with the 21j purely for reliability reasons. Still runnning strong!

Member X

You also have CHS and ICHS options to consider! :lol:

Farminho

What impact does the hand stack have on functionality? or is it simply a 'closeness to gen' issue?

Cheers

Dendo

I thought it was about closeness to the gen.

TBH - it is difficult to see the difference - and there are few people who would know about it and look for it anyway - and then they are experts and would see other things non-gen-like also.

seclark007

My Luminor GMT has a 7750 and I have had no issues with it. All my other GMT's (explorer, colt, PAM) have 21j's in them and all work fine. I have had no issues with any of them...no hands sticking or stoping.

I too was told by Robert that the 21j's were the most reliable when it came to GMT's....but then again, he could have just had lots of them in stock ;)

Farminho
I thought it was about closeness to the gen.

TBH - it is difficult to see the difference - and there are few people who would know about it and look for it anyway - and then they are experts and would see other things non-gen-like also.

Ah right, not too arsed about that really! It'd be better to have it correct, but it's not the end of the world for the price!

Edited by Farminho

sam77

on the 2 Gen Gmt's II i had before i could set the 24h arrow totally separate at some point turning the crown the left with a nice click on each hour (sold them)

016-4.jpg

023-3.jpg

028-2.jpg

027-2.jpg

133.jpg

001-5.jpg

*****this was a nice collection at some point (i buy and sell gen watches once in a while )

150.jpg

conx

The A21J is rock solid in my experience, but the lo-beat is noticable (but only if you look real close). Going for the 2836 version will give you the better sweep, but are you prepared to take a bit of a risk on the gmt hand slipping? From what I can see, it is a risk, but less of a risk than say the sec@6 daytonas. If a smooth sweep is important to you I'd say go for it.

Member X

What impact does the hand stack have on functionality? or is it simply a 'closeness to gen' issue?

Cheers

The CHS versions have historically been a lot less reliable than the ICHS versions, although I think I remember Robert saying that the new CHS versions were better??

g.man

I have two rolex GMT reps.

The 21j movement is rock solid and keeps excellent time.

The Swiss ETA movement, the hands started sticking on the first day I wore it, and it now sits in a box, unloved and neglected while I occasionally ponder throwing more money at it to have it fixed.

Could just be my bad luck of course, but that's my ten cents worth of opinion.

just sayin

g.man

sacster

I acquired Timeshop's Explorer ll GMT recently. It has a 21J movement. $88 a steal. Now, problem....How do I adjust the GMT red hand to correct UTC time? Apparently the Rolex instructions are designed for Rolex movements!

Any thoughts, anyone?

kimchi

I have a 21J GMT and the only problem it has is when I change the GMT hand it sometimes looses the gearing a bit, but no other problems than that. If I were to by another gmt i'd go for the 2836 mainly for the smoother movement. It's pretty easy for my to see the ticks on a 2813

But for $88 that's a steal! I got mine for a fraction more of that price!

Edited by kimchi

Dendo

I was wondering how they create an adjustable GMT with a regular 21J or 2836 movement. It has to be a different cannon pinion but then a lot of gearing would have to be different also - or is there a smart way of making the GMT hand adjustable?

djn1

I wish I would have seen this thread before I purchased my Seamaster 300 GMT from Rochest a few weeks ago. The watch I purchased has an A2824 movement according to Rochest, and I am repeatedly having the issue with the GMT hand not engaging. I have to repeatedly move the main hour and minute hands around until I can get the GMT hand to 'catch'. And today for the first time the GMT hand sat idle for 2 hours, had to readjust everything. It is a royal pain in the ass.

It appears this watch might also be having an issue with the rotor not winding the watch, working through that right now as well. Running a few more experiments to see if it is consistent.

Member X

Bugger, sorry to hear that!

Could be worth dropping Rochest/Mary an email.