Sign in to follow this  
machiavegli

Mini Review: Pam 057 Power Reserve [PIC HEAVY]

machiavegli

Hey guys!

I've been reading Ale's PAM review reference guide for about a month and this tobacco and Titanium beauty caught my eye:

PAM057-finalcopiar.jpg

EVALUATION: (**) SUPER REP (DSN model)

The gen PAM 057 was the last PAM Power Reserve (after PAM 027-028) with this type of dial having Power Reserve indicator @6, date with cyclops @3 , big central seconds hand and solid caseback.

There are three Power Reserve watches with this structure: PAM 027 full polished SS version with Black Flat surface dial, PAM 028 PVD coated and Black Hobnail textured dial and the PAM 057 Titanium and Brown Hobnail textured dial.

These watches (gen and rep) have a Soprod modified ETA base movement to get the Power Reserve function.

Despite the fact that the PAM 57 theoretically only lasted for the year 2000 (replacing the PVD model, but then being phased out in favour of the changed movement and dial arrangement) there are a few 2001 D-series PAM 057s floating about, 55 pieces to be precise. How this came about? perhaps a production overrun from the previous year? Still, however this anomaly occurred, it makes for a scarce piece.

This replica PAM 057 is an exclusive production from DSN. It is very close to the gen with a beautiful Brown Hobnail texture dial, it is very difficult to catch the dial of this watch in a picture, in fact you cannot see the Hobnail texture in the pics from DSN, but it is awesome. The rep from DSN is fitted with a Swiss 2892 movement with a Soprod Power Reserve module like the gen.

Unfortunately, due to above mentioned features, this is an expensive rep, but it is worth the purchase. Therefore, we can consider this rep due to its general quality and beauty as a Super rep.

Although its price this PAM 057 from DSN is a very good candidate for a first PAM replica.

REPLICA links:

(**)

(**)
t/New%20pam%20057C/

GEN links:

Davidsen (DSN) is the only dealer who carries this watch (sold for $4 in 2007, 50 gens made).

Positives:

> The transaction with DSN went smooth as butter-- got the watch from Hong Kong within 3 days of sending the money via WU

> Packaging was excellent

> Overall quality and feel is top-notch; I haven't seen the gen except in pictures but this has got to be as 1:1 as it gets

> Square cut CG, correct pinion

> Movement is same as gen and the second hand sweep is the best of any of my reps. Timekeeping & Power Reserve function perfectly

> Price has gone down (used to be $800, now $600)

Negatives:

> Very low quality strap, even for rep (put it on a strap from Toro instead)

> Titanium looks great but case may be easy to scratch

> Serial/production numbers on caseback are incorrect (last digits of serial number don't match production number, there were only 50 made, and it's silly to use the PAM model number 057 as the production number). I only mention because DSN usually gets all the numbers correct. I know, I'm crazy.

Pics: (strap from Toro)

IMG_3627.jpg

IMG_3616.jpg

IMG_3646.jpg

IMG_3622.jpg

IMG_3633.jpg

IMG_3642_2.jpg

IMG_3665.jpg

Unboxing pics:

1343003063.jpg1343003441.jpg1343003486.jpg1343003413.jpg

Thanks for looking!
-Mach

jeffw69

I like it Mach, good choice!

And with only 55 gens in the world, chances of meeting someone with a gen are pretty slim. :lol:

LeandroBR

Well done mate! A bit pricey but beautiful ! What's the movement ?

Wear it in good health

machiavegli

Thanks guys!

The rep from DSN is fitted with a Swiss 2892 movement with a Soprod Power Reserve module like the gen.

...and it's sweet

machiavegli

Add to positives: just tested lume & it's great!

-Mach

UmpaHimself

Very nice strap.

machiavegli

@Umpa thanks!

The cigars are gen btw :D

Mach

kolchak

very cool rep! Can't wait to see some wrist shots and lume shoots (if worth while).

I've never understood DSN straps....he should spend a couple bucks more & supply usable straps or none at all.

machiavegli
very cool rep! Can't wait to see some wrist shots and lume shoots (if worth while).

I've never understood DSN straps....he should spend a couple bucks more & supply usable straps or none at all.

Kolchak: I think this DSN strap may actually be leather colored cardboard :D

here's a wristie, too bright for lume in San Diego right now

1343063169.jpg

-Mach

baxter

What a beauty - enjoy Mach !!

machiavegli

Thanks Baxter!!!!!

-Mach

machiavegli

ALE asked for a few macro shots to show the dial hobnailing on the DSN PAM 057c. It's very precise and the script is somehow printed over the hobnail texture, except for the numbers over the power reserve which are on a smooth surface. The color is closest on photo #1, which I shot obliquely with cell phone camera through a 3X jeweler loupe as my macro lens wasn't cutting it. Still my favorite watch at the mo'...

1344644927.jpg

1344644966.jpg

1344645012.jpg

1344645052.jpg

Cheers,

Mach

badproxy

How does the hand sweep in the 2892 movement compare to the Swiss ETA 2836 seen here?

Also do you have the pictures of the original band? I would hate to drop ~$600 on the rep and have to spend another $100 on a good band.

Thanks!

weidake

Thanks for the review, now I have the chance of snapping one of these. I think it will be a keeper!

black263

For Fuck Sake. Lose that picture with the tracking information.

gB.

Nice review Mach. Just wish I would have received a decent one like yourself, rather than the POS that DSN is sending out now for these. Bottom of the barrel with left over parts I guess. But I do notice the date window and DW look a bit crowded on yours, just like the one I recently received as well.

machiavegli

@goat botherer: done

@GB. Thanks re: review, from you that means a lot. I'm bummed if the quality dropped on yours, did you consider sending it back 'cause DSN has a pretty decent reputation to protect. I'm not stressed re: date looking a bit crowded in the window, the alignment is quite good & the gen came out so long ago and was such a limited run that no one even at a TD has seen one in the flesh.

3 year update: worn so often the Asso suede from Toro is polished like glass... not a scratch on it and it is still running like a champ.

-Mach

gB.
@GB. Thanks re: review, from you that means a lot. I'm bummed if the quality dropped on yours, did you consider sending it back 'cause DSN has a pretty decent reputation to protect. I'm not stressed re: date looking a bit crowded in the window, the alignment is quite good & the gen came out so long ago and was such a limited run that no one even at a TD has seen one in the flesh.

-Mach

Yes, luckily I can return. But only for refund less 10% restocking fee. :rofl:

DSN dropping the ball on this one.