scavenger

REVIEW – New TAG Heuer Link Calibre 16 Chronograph

scavenger

Have you seen this UPO?

http://www.rwg.bz/bo...showtopic=28921

I got one and it's excellent for the price.

Oooooh believe me I've been tempted!! But... heard that the Liquid Metal rep might be coming out soon so I'm holding off for now!

Can I ask how much this cost? Pls send a PM if you need to.

Sending a PM to you right after this!

Very good review and a lovely watch.....nice pics also..( whichever of them are yours :) ) !

All the rep photos are mine :).

The only ones that aren't are the gen pics I used for the various comparisons. I put a little bit more effort into fixing up the pics I liked to remove excessive glare and reflection on the crystal and also fixed the colour balance.

wolfwood

Excellent review! Dame, Mary should give you a cut on future sales coz now I want one! :giggle:

solkryssare

Amazing review and from the looks of it, rep. Im gonna pin this baby.

scavenger

Amazing review and from the looks of it, rep. Im gonna pin this baby.

Woohoo! Cheers Mod! :thumbsup:

A bit of extra commentary on the watch - a few days ago I decided to clean the bracelet out. Up until then it was just that little bit 'squeaky' and not moving quite as smoothly as I'd expected. I remembered having read Silverspeed's tip on using WD40 to clean his Rolex bracelet. Click here to go to his post.

And so I took the bracelet off and gave it a good soak in WD40 for a couple of hours before rinsing it off. It's now so much smoother and feels just as good as my gen Calibre S! An easy procedure that's sure to enhance anyone's enjoyment of this rep!

scavenger

Had an opportunity to visit an AD a couple of days ago and asked to try on the gen. No, I did not have my rep with me at the time :)

I asked and the AD didn't mind me taking a photo of the watch. You'll have to forgive the glare off the gen (pic on the right), nothing I could do about the showroom lights. Here's the comparison shot.

GenCompare.jpg

onzenuub

The date is way off. :D

scavenger

It'd be right once a month! :P

diplosa

Bravo. Excellent review.

1115466316c7b31948e61111279339c0.gif

onzenuub

It'd be right once a month! :P

Nope, never, 5 days difference in the gen and the rep. :lol:

kolchak

Lots of subtle differences but rep holds its own in looks dept. The $10 question is - regarding "feel" of rep compared with gen?\

I think we all love reps that feel high quality and not like a canal st special or some cheap $100 gen fashion watch (guess, Kenneth cole, etc).

Many of Breiltlings (especially SOH V2, wolf, SOSF, etc) AP Diver, and many of the newer generation Pams feel very high quality,

Hope this does too.

scavenger

Nope, never, 5 days difference in the gen and the rep. :lol:

Was more than 5 days, actually! The pic of my rep was taken just after I received it back a couple of weeks ago. I've just re-used the photo from my review. Didn't want to risk the wrath of the RWG forumites by wearing my rep into the AD and doing a side-by-side comparison :tomaatit: .

Only just got to the AD last week and the gen they had in the display had been left in the window till its reserve ran out. So I guess it stopped on the 23rd - of which month I've no idea. Probably could have set the time and date to match, I suppose (yes I canbe that anal at times :rolleyes:). You'll have to forgive me that I didn't.

Lots of subtle differences but rep holds its own in looks dept. The $10 question is - regarding "feel" of rep compared with gen?

Ah! I'm so glad you brought this up! I think I might be able to help with this.

Weight

The rep is nice and heavy, and while (as I said) I didn't do a side-by-side comparison, I can tell you that the rep is just as hefty as the gen. Some colleagues at work commented on how heavy the watch (rep) felt when they held it in their hands and could not believe that a 'fake' could feel as heavy and solid.

Overall dimensions

Overall dimensions are so exactly identical that one would not be able to tell any difference. Well, I couldn't anyway! From the dial face, subdials, 2-part bezel, case, lugs, and bracelet what you're getting is a like-for-like duplicate. "Same same but different" eh?

Fit and finish

Fit and finish are on par with the gen. All parts fit tightly together and there are no unsightly gaps to be found anywhere. Polished surfaces were unblemished and brushed steel areas had the proper satin sheen to them. The distinctive Link bracelet was a bit squeaky out of the box, but cleaning it as I'd previously described resulted in a beautifully smooth movement in the individual bracelet links that, if I were blindfolded, I could not have differentiated from the gen. And this I was able to compare not only with the AD sample but also my own gen Link Calibre S.

Crown and chrono pushers

As previously described in my review, the crown does indeed sit a little bit higher than on the gen due to the washer-like attachment on the rep case. Chrono pushers also seem a little bit longer on the rep - not very much at all, but just that little bit more. The feel of the chrono pushers though is exactly the same as on the gen. The chrono start button at 2 is a little stiff on both the rep and gen, and the chrono reset at 4 is equally smooth on both.

Clasp

This is the only area where the gen clearly surpasses my rep. Again, as mentioned in my review, the clasp release on my watch can be a little stiff at times whereas the gen's closes with a secure and satisfying 'click' and releases smoothly. There is also a slight gap in my clasp when closed which isn't there on the gen. In short, the gen's clasp is perfect to the micrometer! Note that it's been mentioned that another owner of this rep had no problems with his bracelet clasp. His releases smoothly and does not have a gap when closed.

Yes, I believe this rep's feel is of extremely high quality. Minor differences exist to be sure, but roll this around in your hand and strap this on your wrist and I'm absolutely certain you'll agree that it's miles ahead of any canal street special or cheap $100 gen fashion watch!

freezer777

Can someone PM me details where to buy this watch and what u paid for it.

Edited by freezer777

Heisenberg
Can someone PM me details where to buy this watch and what u paid for it.

It says in the first post where this watch was sourced from. It was watch international, one of the trusted dealers here although other trusted dealers may be able to get it. I suggest having a read of the various new member guides around the forum and then contacting one of the trusted dealers. Their details can be found through the link at the top of the site.

t21drl

Great review, and i really like the watch

Burnleybezel

Mines now on order with WI, now waiting for QC pics.

B.B

scavenger

Mines now on order with WI, now waiting for QC pics.

B.B

:drunksing:

Happy days! Do feel free to post pics here when you get it!

Scav.

canakris

I also have a Tag Link daydate, wonderful quality rep (was prices 340, but worth every penny)

scavenger

I also have a Tag Link daydate, wonderful quality rep (was prices 340, but worth every penny)

Show us a pic or two. Come on.... you know you want to! :D

Bigssa

Great review!

I just ordered the same watch myself. And after reading this review, I could not be happier that I chose this watch as my first rep.

boblol

Like Shiran and others, I ordered this from Mary/Rochest after reading your review (on Thanksgiving actually! :D). Your review was incredibly comprehensive, and calmed any qualms I previously had. It was a fantastic read, and definitely well thought out and composed. Thank you.

Edited by boblol

scavenger

Thanks! Glad you enjoyed the read and that it helped you get your watches. Happy Christmas to all!

Scav.

daymeeyan

I don't have a Tag in my collection yet, but your review convinced me I need one. Added to my wish list. Great write up.

KrakDrazh

Well done, interesting and written really good!

markg

Great review! I wonder if anyone has done a mod to this watch to fix the crown (maybe replaced it with a gen) and the date font?

nuttermcbutter

Great review, thinking about making this my first rep purchase.