dmpmassive

Jaeger-LeCoultre Master Geographic - WI - Review and Photos

dmpmassive

Jaeger-LeCoultre Master Geographic

Features a modified Seagull ST-1780 with 23 jewel automatic movement. Working power reserve, day of month, secondary timezone and secondary timezone 24 hand.

I acquired this timepiece mainly for a nice, classy, evening watch. Something in a less popular name and somewhat understated. I'm happy with it in that respect.

The order was placed with Mary and Rochest at WatcheInternational on November 6th and I received a response from Mary that same day. QC photo's arrived on November 8th; I approved. Some time then passed and I inquired on the 12th of November about a tracking number to which Mary replied that she discovered a scratch on the first sample that wasn't apparent in original QC's. As such she had ordered another and would have new QC's shortly. Later that day, a new set of QC's arrived which I again approved. I received the tracking number on the 14th. The watch was sent to Canada via EMS and I got the parcel on November 23rd.

I'm impressed with the speed and care that Mary and Rochest exhibited during the course of this transaction.

The timepiece is surprisingly functional considering the price and movement. Working power reserve to 40hrs, which I've observed to be pleasingly accurate on my sample. Working day of month is visible at the 2 o'clock position with with a quick-set button also at 2 o'clock.

Of course, the second timezone is completely functional, right down to a working 24hr hand indicating am or pm in the secondary timezone. Setting this is a bit challenging as it's not done like the gen; however, if you know the right sequence of things it's not that hard. (Depending on how much you've had to drink) I will say that it's tedious enough to set, that this is one watch you may want to leave in an auto-winder if you have one at your disposal.

The one obvious faux/fantasy feature is the 10 o'clock timezone set wheel. This crown will rotate the timezone / major city wheel visible below the 6 o'clock position on the face. Unlike the gen, this is not connected in any such manner to the secondary timezone. At just under $200USD, that would be a bit much to ask and the added complications on a rep would certainly be dubious in quality and longevity.

For the benefit of anyone owning this timepiece and wondering how to set it, rotating the crown CCW will advance both the primary and secondary timezone hour hands. Rotating the crown CW will only advance the primary timezone hour hands. The minute hands are coupled. So, start with CCW rotation to set the secondary timezone, then CW rotation to set the primary. I may edit this post with more complete instructions later.

The finish of the watch is quite nice. Something of a rose gold case with a silver/white face. The face is textured with a fine grain (visible in the photos) which almost gives it hint of opalescence. The finish of the movement is average. Good, but not as well executed as what you'd find on a $350+ rep. The strap is decidedly average. Looks good from a distance, but up close it looks aweful to anyone who's seen a proper handmade leather strap. It would certainly benefit from something from our boards finer purveyors of handmade leather straps. I measure 22mm between the lugs for the strap width.

The case back does exhibit one major flaw. The word "MASTER" is engraved in the less commonly used "MASTBR" spelling. Unfortunate... This was completely obvious in the QC's I received and is a well known issue with this watch. I'm sure it's a deal breaker for some, but I personally am not in the habit of removing my watches and advertising the case backs. As such, I don't care about it. However it's still a pretty significant flaw and it would be nice to see this fixed some day.

I'm very happy with the JLC Master Geographic, I feel it's a great addition to my collection. I'm elated with the service and attention to detail from Mary and Rochest at WI. I can thoroughly recommend them.

And now, the eye candy.

Cheers!

20121124-IMG_4017.jpg

20121124-IMG_3992.jpg

20121123-IMG_3970.jpg

20121124-IMG_3985.jpg

20121124-IMG_4022.jpg

20121124-IMG_4031.jpg

20121124-IMG_3973.jpg

20121124-IMG_4007.jpg

20121124-IMG_4027.jpg

20121124-IMG_4031.jpg

20121124-IMG_4035.jpg

Burnleybezel

Hi, Looks really good, even being a 21J, a very classy Dress watch enjoy.

B.B

paule11

Great photos and review

gtwc

Great pics, great review and a great sense of humour !!

Classic.

:giggle:

wolfwood

Excellent job. Is the rotor loud? Can you hear it swing about? I am very interested in this one also but read somewhere that the rotor is pretty loud.

Thanks for the review.

Where about in Canada are you? 9 days from China to here is very fast. I'm in BC.

Corv99

these watches are simple stunning...... and serious value for money!

in terms of tells never worry about that, you will be lucky off this forum to find some one who has heard of JLC never mind up on what the gen should look like..

most people you meet will think JLC is a boy band

solkryssare

Very nice write up and watch.

Kaiser

Excellent review! :clap:

dmpmassive
Excellent job. Is the rotor loud? Can you hear it swing about? I am very interested in this one also but read somewhere that the rotor is pretty loud.

Thanks for the review.

Where about in Canada are you? 9 days from China to here is very fast. I'm in BC.

The rotor is very quiet in my sample. Not silent, but I can't here anything when I'm wearing it and the rotor turns. I have an Hublot rep with an A7750 that's a lot louder FWIW. "Can you hear it swing about?" Yes. But you'd need to be listening pretty closely.

I'm in BC too. Small world. My experience so far is about 7-9 days from China once a tracking number is issued.

myaz

Thanks for the review and the superb photographs.

The misspelling is sometimes done with the intent of avoiding possible prosecution, of getting off on a technicality, because it doesn't exactly copy the gen. I know, I know it's tenuous.

dmpmassive
Thanks for the review and the superb photographs.

The misspelling is sometimes done with the intent of avoiding possible prosecution, of getting off on a technicality, because it doesn't exactly copy the gen. I know, I know it's tenuous.

Yes, I remember reading that elsewhere on the forum. I also remember raising a single solitary eyebrow to it as well ;)

I would think the fact that the spelling of the brand name correctly would be enough to upset certain copyright lawyers. :P

Luthier

1. It's not 21j, it's modified Seagull ST-1780 with 23 jewels.

2. Crown @10 set up the city, and THEN you set up the second time zone, according to this city time. Very simple.

Great watch, have the same, enjoy!

greg_r

Lovely, lovely, lovely... I really ought to get myself one of these...

diplosa

Ain't bad, bit I'm just not feeling it...... but not bad.

dmpmassive

1. It's not 21j, it's modified Seagull ST-1780 with 23 jewels.

2. Crown @10 set up the city, and THEN you set up the second time zone, according to this city time. Very simple.

Great watch, have the same, enjoy!

Thanks Luthier!

I've edited accordingly concerning the correct movement.

I agree with you about setting time regarding the crown @10. What I am trying to say in the review is that unlike the gen, this crown will not automatically change the secondary timezone once everything has been setup properly. I can't for example say "Hmm, I wonder what time it is in Caracas..." and then just turn the @10 dial. All it will do is rotate the city names dial, nothing will change with respect the the time displays. If this functionality works on your copy, I'm extremely jealous... :drool:

rolome

excellent review and pictures, stunning watch. Would like to have one.

Luthier

Thanks Luthier!

I've edited accordingly concerning the correct movement.

I agree with you about setting time regarding the crown @10. What I am trying to say in the review is that unlike the gen, this crown will not automatically change the secondary timezone once everything has been setup properly. I can't for example say "Hmm, I wonder what time it is in Caracas..." and then just turn the @10 dial. All it will do is rotate the city names dial, nothing will change with respect the the time displays. If this functionality works on your copy, I'm extremely jealous... :drool:

You're dreamer, mate...

I wish it would work like this!

:D

LightGeek

40 hours reserve for that price, really? :) that's a fine piece of work then.

Sent from my mobile device. Please excuse the brevity of this message.

Luthier

Actually, PR is about 44 hours. At least on mine.

Overall it's a very, very good watch.

LightGeek

Actually I just realized that's two days :) I was thinking 5-7 days for some reason.

Sent from my mobile device. Please excuse the brevity of this message.

hnic

looks great!

i would def wear this

wi are great dealers

great choice enjoy

Planemo

Thanks for posting this, I am looking for an evening watch and this is very, very nice. I have been looking at an AP Royal Oak in rose gold but the JLC has seriously got my attention.

Bangalore

Aren't the needles supposed to be blue on the gen ?

yawn

Aren't the needles supposed to be blue on the gen ?

:D thats the last thing you should worry

Pospower

What is the width of the strap?