ebzen02

WORLD PREMIER

THE IWC PILOT REVIEW

BP6.jpg

[

A Very Brief History

[

18295.gif

The story started with the original big pilot watch produced in 1940 for none other than fighter pilots. The original watch weighed in at 183g, had a 17.5mm thickness and had a 55mm diameter- the largest watch ever built by IWC. It had an 18,000 BPH and a 16j movement . The crown was made large so that pilots could operate it with their gloves on and it had an extra long strap so that it could be worn over their flying suits.

The BP 5002 was produced in 2002 as a tribute to the Vintage Big Pilot watch. I will not get into specifics on the history of the Big Pilot because I think Niko over at Repgeek did a fabulous job. But I will say this, I think that there are two versions of the 5002: the 5002-1 and the 5002 transitional. Shortly after the Transitional 5002 came out it was discontinued and replaced by the current 5004. The only difference I see from the 5002-1 and the transitional is in the Crown. The 5002-1 has the Fish emblem whereas the 5002 transitional has a Probus crown.

Probus scafusia Crown (meaning good solid craftsmanship from Schaffhausen)

IMG_4404.jpg

Onto the Review:

Before I start here is my rating system :popcorn:

EBzens 5 point system

1-Horrid! Please put it back on the stand you bought it from in China Town

2-Good enough to fool the total noob that has never seen a nice watch

3-Okay but could be better, nice enough, but no were near 1:1

4-Can fool a watch enthusiast/rep nerd at arms length and could pass as gen to about 99% of people

5-It’s so good you can sell the damn thang on ebay as gen and no one will notice unless they open the case to view the movement.

REP INFO

MOVEMENT: Decorated Asia Auto 25J (21,600bph)

CASE DIAMETER: 46.2mm

THICKNESS: 15.8mm

DIAL COLOR: Black Dial with white markers (Lume on Hour Indices)

CASE MATERIAL: Solid Stainless Steel 316L

BRACELET: Premium Thick Leather Strap with Deployant buckle

FRONT GLASS: Sapphire Crystal with Swiss Standards Double AR Glass

BACK GLASS: Solid Case Back with detailed engraving (Inner and Outer with correct wordings)

HACK MOVEMENT: Yes

CLASP TYPE: Deployant Buckle

DATE INDICATOR: At 6:00 position (Same Correct Date Font Date Wheel)

Weight

I will give this a high mark because the gen weighs in at about 150g and the rep at 144g (as adverstised by the rep dealers). IMHO this is such a minuscule amount that I don't think anyone could tell unless you weigh them on a scale.

Score: 4.5

Hands

REP

_DSC0844hands.jpg

GEN

BPKB2.jpg

To my untrained eye they look identical. Perfect replication here!!!

Score: 5

Case

REP

bp8.jpg

GEN

bp8.jpg

Pure perfection here!! Could not find a flaw and as you can see it is the same as gen

Caseback Detail

REP

B5.jpg

GEN

BPKB4.jpg

Gave this a fairly high score although it could go higher depending on what picture you take from the internet. The gen’s engraving is deeper and thicker, but not by much. To my eyes they look almost identical. I actually like my rep's better--must be the pic.

Score: 4.5

Crown detail

REP

bp4.jpg

GEN

BP5002SCAN002.jpg

The screw -down crown has the older fish engraving, 5002 transitional models have the Probus engraving. Anyhow, the crown looks great and firm when unscrewed. Beware, there is a tendency for these crowns to strip, so be nice to it ;) I would have preferred the Probus engraving. But fit and finish on this crown is excellent in my opinion.

Score: 4.0

Date Window

_DSC0839detail.jpg

Serious props given to the dealers for addressing this and the fact that it is not sucken anymore. Mine seems to be a little on the dirty side.. but fixable.

Score: 4.0

Lume

lume.jpg

I suck at lume shots so I am taking points off. Nah! It's better than fair of rep lume but not Vac or gen. Although, I keep on hearing that the Gen’s lume sucks. I’ll give it lower score as compared to Vac standards.

Score: 3

Dial

REP

bp2.jpg

BP2detail.jpg

GEN

bp2.jpg

Unless you are a WIS you could not tell the difference. I took 1 point off because of the non-functional PR and the fact that the could be a bit more space between the PR indicator 15min marker See pic 2.

Score 4.0

AR

I have not been impressed by any of the gen pictures I have seen. I scored this one high and perhaps I should have given it a 6 because I think it’s even better on the rep—strange but true. Could also be that the photogs out in Gen-land are horrible. I didn’t not compare it to the AD because the pics they have been photoshopped I think.

Conclusion

TOTAL SCORE: 39/9= +/- 4.3

The overall score indicates that this watch could easily pass as a gen to 99% of people in my opinion (as long as they don't use a magnifying glass) since I think it's 98% spot on. Is it a super rep? Well that is up to interpretation and there are those that say that since it does not have a working power reserve it is not such. However, my standards are simple, if you can look at a picture and cannot determine the real from the fake then it's pretty super to me. As a result, I think this rep deserves a Super Rep right out of the box title-- at least in my books!!! BTW, this is my first review ever...so be nice:) FYI.. I didn't review the strap, but it is a little better than the typical Rep strap. I have an aftermarket strap, but I'll post some pics of the rep strap if requested.

Edited by ebzen02

AustinTech

Wow, great review!

I gotta find an AD that carries one of these so I can feel how it fits on my wrist.

ebzen02
Wow, great review!

I gotta find an AD that carries one of these so I can feel how it fits on my wrist.

I have 7" wrist and it fits comfortable. It doesn't feel as big as I thought.

Luthier

Great review, Ebzen!!!

I have 8" wrist, and it fits me perfectly.

Strap on my 5004 is just great - soft, long, dark brown color, very comfortable.

BP is "a must!" to any collection.

ebzen02
Great review, Ebzen!!!

I have 8" wrist, and it fits me perfectly.

Strap on my 5004 is just great - soft, long, dark brown color, very comfortable.

BP is "a must!" to any collection.

Thank you Luthier!! I love the 5004 as well- very clean watch!

GC

Great review ebzen02!!!

And a phenominal BP, bravo!

greg_r

Great review!!! You've set the bar pretty high for the competition - well done! :D

Silverspeed

Very good review and great pics!

The IWC BP is a great rep!

mad dawg

ebzen02
Great review!!! You've set the bar pretty high for the competition - well done! :D

I didn't do this so much for the competition, but the fact that I was really impressed by this watch and I have never done a review--nice to contribute a bit after being on these boards for so long and filling up space...lol!!! As a matter of fact..You can raffle the watch if I win and take the proceeds for the forum:)

dingle
Great review!!! You've set the bar pretty high for the competition - well done! :)

I didn't do this so much for the competition, but the fact that I was really impressed by this watch and I have never done a review--nice to contribute a bit after being on these boards for so long and filling up space...lol!!! As a matter of fact..You can raffle the watch if I win and take the proceeds for the forum:)

:D

greg_r

ebzen, you're a class act :D

trailboss99

A class act AND a class reviewer!

Mate if that is your first ever attempt at a review I am very impressed indeed. Well done and I hope

we see many more from you. That was one hell of a review!

Col.

KBH

Excellent review. It did exactly what a good review should do, entertained and educated.

It made me think about actually buying this watch that I've never even looked closely at before.

sconehead

You know what ebzen, even if this review had been poorly done. The simple fact that you felt the need to contribute something back to this hobby we all love far outweighs it's content.

If we all shared this view, posting snippets of info here and there, even if only to benefit a new members search in the distant future, it's commendable.

It's what having a forum is all about...well done mate, here's to many more...:)

Pix

That was a very professional review. And I love your pics. Indeed, you set the bar very high and I hope it will not afraid the other contestants :D

Lex2009

vergood review, congrats ...

But to correct a little: Probus scafusia doesn´t mean "The Honest One". You´re right, it is latin and it means in german "Gutes aus Schaffhausen" in english you can say "good work from schaffhausen". Schaffhausen is the city where IWC is located

BR

Alex

dingle

But to correct a little: Probus scafusia doesn´t mean "The Honest One". You´re right, it is latin and it means in german "Gutes aus Schaffhausen" in english you can say "good work from schaffhausen". Schaffhausen is the city where IWC is located

BR

Alex

welcome to the nuthouse Alex. :fuck:

ebzen02

BR

Alex

You are correct..it does mean: Probus Scafusia - meaning good solid craftsmanship from Schaffhausen. Thanks for the correction!

coolin

like WOW!

I need me one of these beauty's and thanks for the awesome review and great pics

Colin

johnnyboy

Ebz... great review... thank u.

Saw this watch in the wristcheck thread... my next purchase.

paulro
Ebz... great review... thank u.

Saw this watch in the wristcheck thread... my next purchase.

Really informative review. Where did you get yours?

msblgd

Edited by miguel_balsagodes

higginsd

Thank you for reactivating or reanimating this dead thread...

Every TD has this watch in stock. They all came from the same factory. Be shure to order a 5002 (with the '9') and the faux PR - one of the best reps available!

Hazz

Hi, who is the TD? I want to buy one to my collection!!

I got mine from Kuvarsit, just last week

11538144673_8c2d9ec307_c.jpg