dingle

How to tell a gen ETA movement vs Asian

wtcf90

Very informative - just what a newbie like me could do with reading. Thank you for the effort in this thread.

cardsfan10

Really neat post, Dingle! Thanks for reposting!

zufir

useful thread, thanks !

Marksharrock

Really helpful. First time buyer.

Rachel Dan

It is very difficult to tell from the picture. They all have the same bph. 28800. and 2836-2 on the movement. But when you wind the watch, the real ETA 2836 is very very smooth. And light. The Asian ETA is not as smooth as the gen. You can feel it when you wind it. It is tighter on Asian. This is all I know.

Or you can take the watch to jeweler they should be able to verify for you. Lots of sites they sell Asian ETA as REAL ETA to fool consumers.

asnar

Very informative! I used it just now!

gran

With all the questions lately, here is the easiest way to tell. KBH posted this some time ago and I shamelessly stole his post from RWI. All credit goes to KBH. :)

Here's a quick tutorial. Look at the arrow pointing to the right. It clearly shows the shape of the retainer as having 3 "U" shaped indentations. The rep has more "V" looking indents.

The other two arrows at the shock system clearly show 2 of the three cutouts that are on the gen movements, where the rep only has one.

And Last but not least, my secret anti-clone discovery, that I'm releasing into the public for the first time. Check out the shape of the cut out at the top right arrow. It's got a nice rounded moon shape on the ETA and the clone has a flat straight surface. I haven't documented this as 100% foolproof, but so far I haven't seen any 28XX series with the flat surface.

gen

Asian--

notice the flat edge KBH refers to

Movement.jpg

Comparing apples and pears?

I will not disagree with you regarding the Asian etachock..but looking at the number of holes in the gears visible on your "asian" it looks like at least the gears are SWISS?

Liamborghini

Thanks for uploading, really helpful :D damn those Asians! Can they do nothing wrong?!

zeitreise

great thread!! thanks for posting this!!

qqqwww

ok

ERROR404

Does anyone want to re-host the images from the original thread?!

What is the going price for a Swiss ETA 2824-2?

I have found on ebay new clones  for $70-80  and $125-180 for the ones claiming to be old new Stock ETA.

Here is some pics for the one claiming to be a Swiss ETA at $125

s-l1600.jpg?raw=1

s-l1600%20%281%29.jpg?raw=1

I would love for my next project to have a true Swiss movement (just because), but I would hate to get scammed lol

fatarms

From those pics, I've found 5 things that make me think it's gen Swiss and only one that makes me think it may(?) be asian (though it wouldn't really affect the movement itself).

First, the things that look Swiss to me

1. ETA and 2824-2 stamping are crisp, stand right out as the first thing I notice.

2. The "step" to the right of the ETA engraving is curved, in asian, it's straight.

3. The + and - for adjustment are not equal depth in the engraving.  On a swiss, imagine 2 tear drops meeting in the middle to form the - and four teardrops meeting in the middle to form the +.  Your pic has uneven depth in the engravings which makes me believe it is swiss, in the asian, it is uniform depth.

4.  The shock spring that encases the ruby has the deep U shape along with at least two visible recesses.  Asian only has one recess with more shallow or even V shaped shock spring curvatures around the ruby.

5. The gold and silver gears at 2:00 appear to be dull in appearance in the second pic.  Asian are more polished.

Thing that looks Asian to me

1. The engravings on the rotor look to be a bit rough compared to crisp on the Swiss.  Since it's just a rotor, it doesn't affect the movement parts that are visible.

Moral of the story:  Most movements being sold by rep factories or on ebay from China may be a conglomeration of Swiss and Asian parts.  This one looks to be Swiss for the most part, but those are only the visible parts in the pics.  Buyer beware.

If you have an RWI account, click on this link to see more of what I'm talking about.   I've seen many movements that are a mix of Swiss and Asian parts that claim to be Swiss, but this one looks to be "mostly Swiss."

https://forum.replica-watch.info/threads/eta-2836-2-vs-clone-how-to-tell-swiss-from-asian.61801/

Wriggles
37 minutes ago, fatarms said:

2. The "step" to the right of the ETA engraving is curved, in asian, it's straight.

Thing that looks Asian to me

1. The engravings on the rotor look to be a bit rough compared to crisp on the Swiss.  

Newer clones have the correct curved cutout so this can no longer be a reliable tell.

If the rotor isn't swiss then the movement can't be NOS ETA as that would come with gen Swiss rotor so I expect this is likely a Swasian movement

edwinowl
24 minutes ago, Wriggles said:

Newer clones have the correct curved cutout so this can no longer be a reliable tell.

If the rotor isn't swiss then the movement can't be NOS ETA as that would come with gen Swiss rotor so I expect this is likely a Swasian movement

+1

ERROR404

Wow, thanks for taking the time to review the movement and for the link.

Very helpful!

Letitlose

Interesting

Letitlose

Great to hear that

deju

Holy necropost batman 

black263

Postwhoring never ends well.

Luxuracer
14 minutes ago, black263 said:

Postwhoring never ends well.

Black ..... Are you trying to reach 7,000 post ?!?!

black263
9 hours ago, Luxuracer said:

Black ..... Are you trying to reach 7,000 post ?!?!

Not fussed about the number.  It's 10,000 posts that gets you a long weekend in the Moderator's coffee bar.  Or you can pay extra, and not have a long weekend in the Moderator's coffee bar.

sedranpm

This pic is from my omega planet ocean,, is it a gen eta 2824? I think yesf4982274a7ea732f2effc02ab464b7cb.jpg

Enviado desde mi SM-G935F mediante Tapatalk

Glaude
41 minutes ago, sedranpm said:

This pic is from my omega planet ocean,, is it a gen eta 2824? I think yes

Impossible to say, could be a franken movement

sedranpm

More picsa4f05e49429432d644550dc360626eb4.jpg2811d4f0c9757bfec4f1c53effdd3d26.jpg7a4b9fc9af520d50da9b6c8e12a43e20.jpg3ddabe23d397085d3e7ed7b6308674ce.jpg

Enviado desde mi SM-G935F mediante Tapatalk