Sign in to follow this  
TRANSPORTER

Cape cod cloths how good are they?

TRANSPORTER

Hi guys as the title says, how good are they, I've just put some light ish scratches on my bracelet and was wondering wether it was worth using either brasso or a cape cod cloth of which I haven't got yet. My Missus has a gold polishing cloth but that just polishes and I can't see that that would take out any scratches.

So do these cape cod clothes remove scratches or do they just polish.

onzenuub

Polishing = taking out scratches.

onzenuub

Polishing is the process of creating a smooth and shiny surface by rubbing it or using a chemical action, leaving a surface with a significant specular reflection (still limited by theindex of refraction of the material according to the Fresnel equations.)[1] In some materials (such as metals, glasses, black or trasparent stones) polishing is also able to reducediffuse reflection to minimal values. When an unpolished surface is magnified thousands of times, it usually looks like mountains and valleys. By repeated abrasion, those "mountains" are worn down until they are flat or just small "hills." The process of polishing with abrasives starts with coarse ones and graduates to fine ones.

Polishing with very fine abrasive differs physically from coarser abrasion, in that material is removed on a molecular level, so that the rate is correlated to the boiling point rather than to the melting point of the material being polished.

dalboy

Depends on the scratches...

Also if the surface is polished ..don't use cape cod on a satin surface..( Brushed )..then you would use a scotch pad.

Dal..

houndoggie

honestly, they work a little after tedious labor.

they will remove very very minor swirlies but not ever give the hi gloss finish.

subiim

Great for removing scratches on polished SS

myaz

It's kinda subjective. loss of polish comes from micro scratches, so it's all due to scratches.

That said, my experience has been that cape cod is more for polishing than for actual scratches. However, should you need something more abrasive than cape cod, you'd still follow up with cape cod. No harm starting with cape cod before going with something stronger as needed.

TRANSPORTER

Jeez cheers guys loads of help, I've a brushed bracelet on an Omega the scratches are on the clasp, two of the buggers really annoyed as I didn't feel myself knocking the watch, sounds like I need an abrasive of some type like a scotchbrite pad, I'll start light and see how I go then I reckon, thanks again guys

964boy

It's kinda subjective. loss of polish comes from micro scratches, so it's all due to scratches.

That said, my experience has been that cape cod is more for polishing than for actual scratches. However, should you need something more abrasive than cape cod, you'd still follow up with cape cod. No harm starting with cape cod before going with something stronger as needed.

What more abrasive product would you recommend for for serious scratches

onzenuub

Just do a little searching here and you will find threads on how to do this.

guitarbiker

I use SOLVOL AUTOSOL on deeper scratches works well on polished stainless.....

Dr Yan

I mostly use an angle grinder !

DarkGlass

Dals already said it. For brushed uses a Scott pad (scotch brite) works really well on deeper scratches whilst keeping the brushed look

myaz

For me, the next step up is Flitz polish (or equivalent), available at the local store. This still won't take care of deep scratches There are several threads here that suggest alternate/more aggressive products, all the way up to sandpaper or a Dremel tool. Here you gotta be careful that you will actually alter the contour of the metal: therefore, you can also look for threads on how to reshape CGs on PAMs. They all eventually involve progressively finer polishing compounds to bring the "gloss" back.

LightGeek

As good as your patience to spend using it.

DeLaForce

Use Peek polish, ain't nothing better.

TRANSPORTER

Wow cheers guys, I'll dig out my autosol polish and try a dab of that, here's a picture of the actual scratch, I'm totally gutted to be honest,

0EC39AB5-E990-4F4F-9B70-E31B3AF1C698-11190-0000127FAFD06F6A_zpsd25879cf.jpg

Hopefully a little manual labour will get it sorted

SSTEEL

Ouch, but as said, being a brushed area, a scotch pad, lightly brush the same grain of the clasp, and it should remove that. I too am only just starting my tool/care kit, and next up is a cape cod cloth too.

Edited by SSTEEL

LightGeek
Wow cheers guys, I'll dig out my autosol polish and try a dab of that, here's a picture of the actual scratch, I'm totally gutted to be honest,

0EC39AB5-E990-4F4F-9B70-E31B3AF1C698-11190-0000127FAFD06F6A_zpsd25879cf.jpg

Hopefully a little manual labour will get it sorted

It's no good anymore. Throw it out and get the new ceramic reps :)

What's up with the lightning bolt-like scratches?

TRANSPORTER

Wouldn't mind bloody knowing how they got there , totally miffed with that, as for the ceramic ones, I need more money, things are abit slow on eBay at the moment.

964boy

For me, the next step up is Flitz polish (or equivalent), available at the local store. This still won't take care of deep scratches There are several threads here that suggest alternate/more aggressive products, all the way up to sandpaper or a Dremel tool. Here you gotta be careful that you will actually alter the contour of the metal: therefore, you can also look for threads on how to reshape CGs on PAMs. They all eventually involve progressively finer polishing compounds to bring the "gloss" back.

Cheers for that

TheSav

At least the scratches are on the back. Easier to live with than if you had scratched the bezel.

TRANSPORTER

Ok guys got hold of a scotch brite pad today, two minutes work and the results are great as you can see

D6FFA538-3954-4FDB-8570-3F74B49827AA-12870-000014AF975214B7_zps1e0cd8ed.jpg

Happy days, I'll take more care next time, thanks for all the suggestions and advice guys

andygt

Word of warning: when you buy a Cape Cod cloth please ensure it's the gen Cape Cod and not the Amit Cape Cod.

Amit Cape Cod uses real cod guts and it's polishing properties are still being fiercely debated by the CB polishing experts.